broke my chain 4 times in a week and a half :(

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by proraptor, Mar 29, 2013.

1. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

About a month ago I put a 1X10 on the nomad. Im running a saint rear derailleur short cage on a 36 tooth cassette. In front I have a MRP G2. I bought a SRAM chain to give it a chance but broke it 4 times in the last week and a half!!! Ive talked to grego about it and he said when I shift into the granny in the rear the cross chaining is ridiculous which I agree with. I expect to have some cross chaining but I will agree its extreme. Ive moved the cranks as far towards the seattube as I can but it hasnt helped. I either need a new chain (thinkin KMC as I hear their 10spd chains are the strongest.) or the problem is the short cage rear derailleur. Before I bought the setup I saw that a lot of people on MTBR are running shortcage derailleurs with 36 ring cassettes with no problem.

Do you guys think I should spend the money on a KMC chain? or look into a medium cage derailleur? Dont have a bunch of money and I slay XT derailleurs hence the saint....Im so lost lol

2. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

How big a chainring are you running? Is it possible you sized the chain too short?

Is it a dedicated 1x crank? Is it crossed a lot when you're in the smaller cogs?

I've seen a few people run chainring spacers to get the chainring further inboard, not sure if you would have any chain stay clearance issues.

3. proraptor

Im running a 32 tooth chainring. Ive tried all kinds of chain lengths and it hasnt helped.

Its not a dedicated 1X crank. Im running raceface atlas cranks. It crosses some in the smaller cogs but not like when I shift into granny. It loos ridiculous. I cant run the chainring more inboard as the chain guide is bottomed out and cant go any more inward.

4. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I was snapping chains in succession and discovered two things. 1 - the chain was too short, which you have already said is not the case and 2 - the short chain caused a bent cog in the rear (3rd largest cog) which then caused the chain's plates to separate any time I climbed in that gear. So here are two thoughts for a remedy. Check your cassette and replace it if it's bent, and/or save up for a mid cage derailleur. Oh, that and never use your granny gear if the chainline is that ridiculous.

One more thought - is your wheel straight in the dropouts? I imagine you have a rear thru-axle, so if the cassette is not straight, that would mean a bent or mis-aligned frame. Doubtful.

Good luck!

5. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    By the looks of the guy riding the bike, I'd say it's caused by one thing, operator error!

6. zman

zman WTF ?

it could be a few things
    Shifting under load
    wrong gear selection up a hill

Go with a 9spd chain as it will be stronger and still fit on the 10spd you may get a little chain rub but nothing you will be able to hear on the trail anyways
    The setup you have is fine its just the chain that is the weak link also do not use the pin on the chain ,use a powerlink as its stronger

7. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    I dont think a 9sp chain will run on a 10sp cassette?

8. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

I'm not sure a 9 spd chain is stronger than a 10 spd chain. The reason being the plates are pretty much the same thickness, the difference is they are sandwiched a little narrower using a shorter pin. I think Tom is putting out too much torque!

9. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    Ya. The FLoop requires, much much torque...........:lol:

10. gigerrider

gigerrider New Member

Mechanic/full time student
    Do you have the Saint RD-M810? Do you have the mode converter installed? How long did it work properly before it went to shi*? Have you played with the friction adjuster on the Shadow plus?

11. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

What Saint RD? New 10sp or old 9sp?
    When checking the chain length are you including the chain guide?

12. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Ok found a pic from last year and it looks like its a Saint M810 also looks like a GS not a SS. The GS is actually a Med cage.

So with that said unless you have changed your RD, the max cassette is 34, also its 9sp not 10sp. So there are two potential issues. It could also be the mode converter, if set for DH the max cassette is 28.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...001/SI-5WN0A-002-En_v1_m56577569830647022.pdf

13. proraptor

Its the new 10spd derailleur short cage with clutch and yes im using the mode converter. Shimano states 34 is max in the rear but there are plenty of people running them on 36 with no problems

Im gonna play with it today

14. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

I'm guessing that you probably want to go with at least a medium cage. With the short cage I'm guessing that you don't have enough chain for when your suspension cycles.

15. proraptor

I was thinking that too especially with the chain length eating vpp. I think ill try and buy a kmc and try that but run it kinda long, if that does work its back to xt medium cage i guess

16. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    If you have enough storage with the short cage and the 32/36 combo on the VPP, then the cross-chain in granny is is the culprit. Since you are not going change the cranks to a SS or 2x10 specific with the narrow chainline, you need to move your cassette outwards by ditching the smallest loose cog and adding a spacer between the hub and cassette (spoke-side).

17. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

When you check you chain length your going big to big right? Are you including the chain guide?

Also I am fairly sure the M820 is speced up to 36 in Freeride mode. So its probably not that.

18. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Shift to largest ring in rear. Remove all air pressure in shock or remove coil. Bottom out frame. Verify you are not running out of chain.

19. zman

zman WTF ?

Here ya go
    9spd is stronger

Thicknesses:
    CN7701 9 speed inner plates: .036"
    CN7701 9 speed outer plates: .035"
    Overall width: .259"

HG94 10 speed inner plates: .029"
    HG94 10 speed outer plates: .033"
    Overall width: .229"

20. strobe

strobe resident noob

Well, its a good thing "plenty of people" know better than the manufacturer. These are probably the same ppl who break a lot of gear and try to say its their power and hardcore riding... ;)