Breathless Agony 5/1/10

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Brandy, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Route description says, "safe, 90% bike lanes". That looked good until I realized a lawyer .. please define safe and bike lane.:)

2. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    Berg, I'd be down for this. So, Saturday? Where would we meet?

Brian, sorry to hear you wrecked it on a hood. Glad you're okay. I've already heard of way too many people getting hurt this year with cars. I think this must be the year of the cyclist versus the car? Haha, kidding of course.

Oh, PS, I would lead the Breathless agony course if I knew it. I've never ridden it.

Someone also asked about getting into the breathless agony. I had this problem last year, I was going to volunteer for it, and they were going to run a volunteer's ride about a week before the event. I can't remember if they were going to count it or not towards the KOM or not. But I was invited to register for the event instead, I had been on the waiting list. I imagine depending where you are on the list determines whether or not you'll be invited to register. Hope this helps.

3. Byron B

Byron B Born to Ride

Business Finance
    glad to hear you're good man.. get welll

4. Byron B

Byron B Born to Ride

Business Finance
    Abui, let me clarify your concern about the route. When I wrote "safe" I meant "Bike Friendly Roads". The majority of the route includes a generous bike lane, even most of the climbs have a bike lane.. Above the personal challenge the route will reward you with great views..

Keep me posted Berg..

5. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

Berg, would we try to have someone run SAG? Or is there enough place to stop for water and food?

6. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    I'm thinking about riding route 38 up to Onyx Summit. If anyone knows the area, where would be a good place to park the car and start from? I'd be coming from Orange County and I'd rather ride to the base than drive to the base. Would Sylvan Park, where the BA ends, be a good place?

7. nailknot

nailknot Member

destruction of material
    sweetpea, there are many places to park to do that ride. Yes, Sylvan Park is a good choice. There is another place to park which will put you approximately 2-3 miles closer to the climb.
    As you drive up Hwy 38 there is a small general store called Greenspot Liquor (World Famous Jerky). That store is located on the corner of Garnett/Hwy 38. If you turn left(north) at that intersection and head north for approximately 1/4 mile there is a generous turnout on the west side of the street.

I have parked here for many mtn bike rides and have never had a problem with someone messing with the car.

Another benefit to parking here is there is a nice, long sidewalk that you can ride avoiding the narrow Hwy 38 through that area. Look for the big block wall to the north and the sidewalk runs adjacent to that wall. YOu will have to step over a gate at the beginning and another gate at the top where you end up at Hwy 38.

8. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    So I think it's time to dust this old thread off and get it up and running again.

A group of us are going to park at Nailknot's recommended spot and ride peaks 3 and 4 this Saturday. If anyone wants to join us, they are more than welcome.

9. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Damn if was another weekend, I would be all over this. But my parents are going to be in Lancaster for my little brother's national cup for soccer and I can't leave the dog home alone for that long.

10. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

Directions? What time are you thinking of riding?

11. Mdm. Dabalot

Mdm. Dabalot New Member

Sorry I can't join you. Liz insists that we ride the whole thing so I need another good training ride. Instead, I will take my mtn bike to Catalina this weekend and get in a few long fire road rides.

Sweetpea, glad to know that the MC didn't dampen your enthusiasm for long road rides! Are you going after the King of the Mtn?

12. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    I park at the Mill Creek Ranger Station right at the base of the 38. If I am riding alone, Then I walk into the ranger station, give them my name, emergency contact, and tell them I will check back in when I get back. They were very nice about it that last 2 times I did it.

From sylvan park is bad in that direction. I hate riding up Mentone Blvd to the base of the 38, it can be scary especially that last section with the twisty narrow hill/climb. Much rather start from the Ranger Station... especially in light of what happened last weekend.

13. Kish Me

Kish Me DH'r in a rigid 9'rs body

Home Theater Design- DLP Consulting, Inc.
    Home Page:
    Thank you! I'd like to do this ride.
    What time?
    How long is this ride?
    Is there anyplace to refuel?

I'm doing the B.A. but have never ridden in the area.

@ Bvader > Are you riding this weekend?

Dave

14. bvader

Tech Guy
    Hmmm I am supposed to TAV but I was thinking about this ride. As to where to refuel, Angelus Oaks about 1/3 way up, then you can also get water at a campground along the way. It approx ~30 Miles from Mill Creek Ranger Station to Onyx Summit.

Here is my geoladders for that ride.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=4457

Details of time don;t know because not sure I can ride it this weekend.

15. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    BA is sneaking up, are we going to get a STR peloton together? We don't get to the first climb until what like mile 20? And its not that big of a deal. Oak Glen is the first killer one, we can keep a pace line until then

16. bvader

Tech Guy
    Well except for that last time I rode BA the big peloton took a bad crash on that super bumpy road right before Jack Rabbit Pass... :?:

Oh an just as a note, I hear Jack Rabbit pass is in awful shape right now, and there are K rails on the 60 on the couple miles you have to ride on it.

from an email from a friend
    "I just heard from a co-worker that lives near Redlands that Jack Rabbit was really rutted this past weekend, BEFORE the rain. They were checking out the course and also noticed a lot of K-rail (construction) on Hwy 60 coming off of Jack Rabbit trail. They were most concerned about some 3 foot grates, with vertical running bars, right next to the K-rail on the freeway (about the last mile and a half). Be sure to look out for these and avoid them!"

Me ....I am acting as a domestic for a friend of mine that I abandoned in 2008...(self inflicted guilt)

EDIT : Added email info

17. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    This oughtta be a riot! No training happening at all unless I can get in some midweek rides. :?:
    Oh well, Beth and I aren't going to do it if it rains. Or it's too windy. Or too hot. Or too cold. or if we sleep late. Or we have sniffles.

18. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    You better be out there girl! :)

19. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Without a doubt the toughest century I've ever done but I do love it. Wish I was in shape.

20. Mongo

Mongo Chewyeti "MongOHNO!"

measurement tech.
    I'll dog sit for ya if you need. As long as your dog is social. I have two that are very social.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.