BRAND NEW fox float CTD eveloution shock problem..

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by rb-digi, Oct 3, 2012.

1. rb-digi

rb-digi New Member

helllo!! i purchased a 2013 giant trance x1 mtb yesterday :bang: it came with fox suspension but the components i am having issues with is the shock(ctd or climb/trail/descend selection).when i got to my LBS to pick it up they attemted to help me with some suspension set-up ,sag etc. when i asked about the CTD (i had done some research prior) when he went to show me the selections (c-t-d) on the rear shock the lever is doin some funny stuff..it will "click" or settle into the climb position but once i go to select "trail" or "descend" mode the selecter level floats around freely not locked into a position..if i wait a few seconds it will sorta BARELY settle into a vertical position but if i am to try and select descend mode gravity has more effect on the lever than the lock / stay or click in the selection:-k..i have tried loading the rear suspension in the three different settings and i cant see any difference in compression in any of the three selections.. i uploaded a video of the way the selection lever is acting.anyone have any expeirience with CTD stuff that can confirm that something is wrong here,?.Really like to get it straightend out as its the first "good" suspension components i have had.. here is the youtube link of the video ,,its short.i have sent a email to fox just havent heard back yet and im goin nuts(new bike phase).thnks in advance :wave:[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]http://youtu.be/iG-GeP72UoM

[/FONT]

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Check out one I'd the rear shocks in the other bikes t the shop where you bought your bike. If something I wrong with yours when you picked it up....have the shop swap out the shock from one of the floor models. You shouldn't be stuck waiting for a warranty claim on a bike that you haven't even ridden.

3. rb-digi

rb-digi New Member

GOOD IDEA..unfortunatley there isnt another 2013 GIANT in the store yet.i had special ordered this one. i am scarred that the problem will need to be fixed via warranty and i REALLY dont want to have my bike down .it will kill me

4. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    Have you tried the lever while riding the bike? It may need the shock to be active and oil to be moving to reset the damping circuits. Just a thought.
    Also, try calling them, they are very helpfull and fairly local (1.800.369.7469)

5. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    blows me away that any shop would let you take possession of a bike that is knowingly faulty.

6. rb-digi

rb-digi New Member

welllll. i get what ur sayin but in defense of my LBS..it came in from giant yesterday later afternoon..my LBS had known because the frequent phone calls that i was goin nuts..they assembled it from the box and were just gettin ready to test ride it when i showed up, it was something i beleive was dicovered after i got there and the bike did feel good still so i wasnt in the mood to let them hold on to it..i had to wait patiently so long to get it i was dying to ride it ..but now im on here searching for answers so i see your point

7. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Any chance your LBS would be willing to stick another shock in there on a temp basis while you wait for Fox to handle the warranty matter.. I own Fox fork and shock but I've not had the pleasure of warranty work, but I hear they're slow.. maybe if the LBS acknowledges this, they would be willing to pop something else in there in the interim.. not a CTD shock but just whatever they may have lying around that can work.. just a thought..

8. rb-digi

rb-digi New Member

i only tried it after riding it not during..i rode a few miles on it then messed with it at my buddys but never did moove it while pedaling..ill give it a shot..one thing i noticed in the video i made is that when i watch the video when i first get to lookin at the shock. if you look at the lever it is locked in the descend mode..after i start fliping the lever around it dosent get locked like that again..so maybe the active oil locked it in there while i was riding but if i keep flickin it without it being active it will act light like that ..ill mess aroud a lil more after work ..thnks

9. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

this happened with my fg's stumpy fsr 29. The shock selector didn't stick it just kind of spun around, they pulled one off of another new bike and sent the bad one back

10. 1TrackMind

1TrackMind Member

Sales
    I have the new CTD shock on my Mojo HD and it definitively clicks into all three positions. You do have to lift the rebound knob up to move is and then let it settle into it's position on top of the ctd switch...maybe your rebound knob is not down where it needs to be. If not, then I think something is wrong with you shock.

11. 1TrackMind

1TrackMind Member

Sales
    I just saw your video so my comment will not make any sense...mine looks like this...the one on the right.

foxctd.jpg

12. rb-digi

rb-digi New Member

contacted them thru the phone number you gave me...the email wasnt responded to yet so i called...after explaining my situation and the fact that it would kill me to disasemble the bike and have it down when it just came out of the box i was directede to the service manager. we came to an agreement that he would send out a replacement unit to my LBS .then i can take my bike to the shop and have them switch it out and return the faulty one.makes it alot better for me.said i should have a shock at the LBS by friday..thnks for the phn number,,in the end i think it was handled about as good as it could be considering..check that lever before u buy a CTD shock

13. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    That sounds like a good potential outcome, and great to hear they compromised and appreciated your need to not be down for sooo long.. keep us posted on how this plays out..

14. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    Glad to hear they helped you out. As said, I have always found them to be helpfull when I have called for parts or service.

15. rb-digi

rb-digi New Member

damnnnit...we (myself and a FOX customer service manager)had a very clear understanding on the phone that he was goin to be sending a replacement unit to my lbs (to be there by friday 10-5-12)where i purchased the bike so then when i took my bike in they could swap it and send it the bad one and im on my way..the owner of bike shop says he was contacted and was told a replacement was being shipped out,,not a "RMA or pre payed postage" we already went thru that..few days later my LBS received ONLY PAPERWORK for sending my shock into them WITH NO SHOCK REPLACMENT..THEY SAME THING THEY COULD HAVE SENT TO MY HOUSE ..im so pissed right now..the whole point was so i could avoid have my 3500 dollar investment sitting inoperable in the first week i bought it for who know how long do to lack of quality control..it was never right from them..and they dont trust me to send out the replacement and have me send there BROKEN one back

16. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    That sucks! I was glad to have heard they were working with you, mainly because I have seen other threads and heard that their customer service totally sucks.. I've never dealt with them myself for an issue but that was what I had heard.. but now it seems perhaps some of those people who have had a bad experience weren't wrong based on your recent experience.. sorry man, that blows.. I'd call the CS mgr and get in his face a little for sure.. what's the worst that can happen, you're already gonna have to wait awhile for them to handle the matter..

17. rb-digi

rb-digi New Member

yeah i did the best i could to get back on the phone with him..i left a extensive voicemail to say the least..im def bummed cause it seemed it was goin to be handled the best way it could be and i was ready to moove on,,but now i have established a trust issue and am scarred to tear my bike appart and have the same person who was lying to me on wednsday lie some more about turn around time,,,the part that is so frustrating was how he made it sound like it was no big deal and was right on top of it ..thinkin i will contact giant and get on there ass as they were the second person to miss the issue with quality control. so frustrating..really takin the good part out of buying a new bike right out of it

18. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

Why wouldn't you go back to the LBS and raise hell with them? They're the one that sold you the bike right? I think it's their responsibility right?

19. rb-digi

rb-digi New Member

i special ordered the bike attempting to get a 2013 while they were still hott ..they realized it as we were seting sag on suspension and the shock seems to function ok other than that none of the CTD "technology" is not working .at that point in time i couldnt leave the bike there over that i was goin absolutley nuts to ride it. raising hell with them dosent make them have the shock in stock or another top of the line trance to "swap it out with".they are more than willing to be contacting fox instead of me and if i want to leave the bike at there shop so they can dissasemble the bike ship my shock away and wait i can do that today ,.they already have the r.m.a. paperwork so all id have to do is surrender my bike for who knows how long,(from reading fox customer service reviews i dont trust them on turn around time).my thought was to voice my issues to fox and try and get them to step up and replace my bunk product with a good one and they seemed to have no problem with me and understood on the phone .i wanted them to acknoledge that it could be handled better than me having my bike down and i wanted to relay to fox personally thinking it may help my cause.i thought i had it all under control from last wendsday till today day but i was wrong,,

20. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

LBS is doing what they can, it sounds like. They could go above and beyond, but I wouldn't expect it. It's a warranty issue with the shock. I thought it was rare for Fox cross ship a new shock over for warranty purposes, but to hear they didn't follow through with it... meh... sorry to hear your troubles man. Gives ya some time to tape up your frame and other parts with protective tape, if ya haven't already, or upgrade some other things like getting a dropper post. Try to make the best of it.

I suspect the problem could be as simple as someone fudging up the nit charge (like forgetting to give it a nit charge at all) on the custom boost valve tuning, but it's all pointless speculation on what the prob could be without inspecting it.

In regards to the pic, those have Trail Adjust and not all CTD forks and shocks have the Trail Adjust feature, which allows you fine tune the damping characteristics in trail mode.