Race Report Bonelli State Finals 9/12 Race Reports(Merged)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by SADJ, Sep 12, 2010.

1. SADJ

SADJ New Member

Great pics! Thanks.

2. gest24

gest24 "Factory"

Helicopter Mechanic for the USN
  3. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

I'm sure its a typo...but beating second by 15 minutes sounds like a sandbagger to me. Step on up to the sport class and strap on the weight. I (and those bells that annoy the *(&^%! out of everyone else HA!) look forward to chasing you down next year.

Me...did better than the year before despite not really feeling it...I knew better than to race back-to-back with the 50-mile marathon down in San Diego, but what the hey!

As per usual, hung back to get my legs going and ramped up, letting the hard-chargers burn themselves out on the 1st 1/2 lap, and focused on keeping the heart-rate below the red, but revving. Pacing on the first few climbs paid off by being able to cruise on up to the roof of the course without stumbling, and having a good set of legs to power through the 2nd, less technical half.

The rest of the race was a little frustrating, as I had the ooomph to grind out the middle-ring climbs on the back-half and get the heart rate up, but didn't have the pop to explode up some of the steeper, more technical climbs on the front-half without resorting to getting into the granny...which combined with the chain suck from 15-year old 24-tooth (18 intact after the race) killed my time and momentum. The result was a lap time that went from mid 21, to mid 22, to mid 23, before I just said "eff it!" and put the hammer down for the 4th lap....eh, not so much on the front half, but was able to kill it on the back half and catch some pack racers from the first wave and re-pass some of those who were in survival mode for a finish of 1:30ish.

'Twas fun, and will be back for the series next year, hopefully all the races this time.

Another few months, and I'll retire the GT LTS-1, and see what technology from this millenium can do for me.

4. Dukeneverwinter

Dukeneverwinter New Member

MnMan= its not a typo, Kerry and I were way out in front of he other guys. If you look at the whole season Xavier beat both of us at Fontana. If my hub hadn't exploded there would have been two guys at least 15 min ahead.

5. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    I'm honored! Two picks #8. Thank you!

6. gest24

gest24 "Factory"

Trust me, it was something I was thinking about. But then the injury and the fact I was racing the entire series in Cat 3, why not finish what I started. Next season, I'm gonna play up in Cat 2 with the other kinda fast but not fast enough guys.

7. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Looks like you would've gotten 2nd in your AG (non-clydes). You should be fine! Keep working hard and having fun :)

8. Dukeneverwinter

Dukeneverwinter New Member

#27, tks

9. gest24

gest24 "Factory"

I'm not stressin', it was my first full season back from a scaphoid fracture. I also lost 30lbs in the process of training. Next season is going to be fun.

10. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Not hatin'! Props for all the hard work and I'm sure you'll have a killer 2011! See you at the races :)

11. whybother

whybother New Member

posted on my blog. it is sort of more than a race report, but i had some catching up to do.

again, thanks to everyone out there and those that are with us in spirit.

12. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    That's our "boy" Dean Ferrandini @ 65 years young. He rides out here on our local trails here in the SCV pretty much every day.

13. WoodyW

WoodyW Member

Hey Gest24, Congrats on your win! But if you think I wouldn't have given you hell in Cat 2 you gotta 'nother thing coming! I won Cat 2 clydes 34-, and it was a rough one.
    Augered in pretty hard on the first lap just after the first bridge on the little off camber turn around the bush. Front tire was going flat and just rolled the tire off. Hit my head pretty hard, spun the bars, split my knee open, and road rashed my whole left leg. Jumped up and proceeded to burn my other leg on the rotor as I crank the bars straight, as well as get an earful of BS from an unnamed jerk (as he rode by) who mocked me for going down after passing him. Wonderful. Never mind I was flatting and that's what caused me to crash. More on him later. Blast the tire with Co2 and get back on the horse ignoring the knee and leg...I didn't want to get caught in the pack on the ST climb. Dug hard and held position till I got back to the swim beach where I bailed off and shot more Co2 since I was almost flat again. At this point I realize I'm gonna need to do a tube swap but I give it a blast anyway and head up the ST switches and back around to the start/finish. As I get back to the line I'm dead flat again. Now up until this point I had it in my head that I was gonna push as hard as I could to get that Hard Charger jersey, but as I was swapping tubes and looking at my knee I realized I just needed to finish and win my class, since I was pretty much looking into my knee through a big gash...and there were some rocks and junk in there. And at that point, that's what I chose to do. No Co2 or tubes left, bloody and hot...needed a finish. Got passed by Maldonado while I was down, but finished the swap in a hurry and took off in hot pursuit. Caught up on the middle of the first loop and just sat in, pacing him to see how hard he was working. I sat back until the last hill before the descent through the trees. He was working pretty hard so I popped out and around and put in a good effort. Never saw him again, and cruised at mid-tempo the rest of the way, catching up to my arch nemesis (and good riding buddy) Pinnacle10, who would never have let me live down the fact that he beat me on a single speed, since that's what I ride all the time. Rode in shot, hot, and bloody for a win. Oh yeah, on my third lap I saw that my buddy who had made fun of me when I went down had balled it up on a corner coming back into the park and took a DNF. I might have felt bad for him if he hadn't of been a condescending donkey earlier, but the truth is, I smiled really big as I rode by. Maybe he got a little raspberry and wanted to hurry up and wash it out. After the race I had a date with a nylon scrub brush and a tube of super glue! Congrats to all the winners, but I especially congratulate those who continue on to finish even though things get hard and aren't going according to plan. I can't wait till next year.
    ouch.jpg

14. socalchef

socalchef New Member

Systems Engineer for Pro A/V
    Trying to figure out how to organize over 1000 pictures :) Working my way through renaming them with racer numbers at the moment. Here's a few. It'll probably take me a few days to get through all of them so...check back I guess? I've got the numbers everyone has posted in here so I'll be looking for them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Sid doing a wheelie
    [​IMG]

15. Zone 6 Images

Zone 6 Images New Member

Photos-Bonelli Park Sunday 9/12

I have posted photos of all of the races for viewing and purchase at www.zone6images.com
    I broke them out by race #1-3.
    Thanks for looking!

Robert Bruns

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
  16. gest24

gest24 "Factory"

I never assume anything is easy, esp with this sport, lol. I had a ton of fun going back and forth with Noel all season and am looking forward to the motivation next season trading blows with the real fast fat guys. Sorry to hear about your digger, thats never a good thing.

17. Dreamscapeimages

Dreamscapeimages New Member

Home Page:

Attached Files:

18. socalchef

socalchef New Member

Systems Engineer for Pro A/V
    I've got some more up as well. In this round, from the numbers I gathered here I've got
    289 263 244 241 240 166 135 125 93 60 52 41 15 8
    Album Here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Inspiring ;)

20. Brian44

Brian44 New Member

Looking for any images of # 341 hammer kit and cannondale scalpel. Looking for any and all.

[email protected] or just reply here with a link

Thanks, Brian.