Blood Pressure meds...who's on 'em? How's it working?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by maximililian, Apr 24, 2014.

1. maximililian

maximililian You Sneaky Cork-Soaker!

Owner of "Club Moronie" the finest fargin legit es
    I was on Benicar for a while, but stopped....and my bp stayed in an okay zone, so I just forgot about them. Well, I started checking my bp over the past week....and it's way too high. I have to do something immediately. Just curious who's taking what and how it's worked out for you. Many docs today prescribe ARB (blockers) instead of ACE inhibitors. But, I've been reading that ACE is probably better as a first line.

Just wonderin'

2. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Lisinopril ACE inhibitor 10mg daily + garlic concentrate 3x daily. 110/66 at last check.

Western medicine, including my own wonderful GP, does not seem to recognize the efficacy of garlic for this use. But my wife's family, from the other side of the world, has known about it forever. It did have an effect on my pressure before I started the med, but I needed a little more help reeling it in.

My doc sez Lisinopril is prescribed up to 80mb daily (!) for some patients. I prefer to mitigate the intake however possible holistically. Sprouts has the GarlicRich softgel capsules. They don't cause you to smell like garlic, btw.

Pick up an Omron BP machine from the drug store (sounds like you have), and check it just before your next doc's readings.

And the most important thing: Pick the right parents! : \

3. bing!

bing! Active Member

I was on Benicar, a couple of others, then on Losartan. Don't follow my lead. I am not a doctor. I stopped my medications, slowly weaned myself off them. My BP was getting pretty low, 102/60 and simply put, I could hardly get a stream going. Am on my second week completely off meds, on a low carb diet, watching everything by the hour and exercising every day, which helped with the body readjusting not being on meds and all. If I keep eating light and just a bit hungry 90% of the day, holding steady at 125/77. First few days, my BP was 160/102 when I wake up. Scared me a bit. Patience and taking things easy, now waking up with 133/84, and it goes down with to normal within the first hour.

If things dont go well, I'll be asking my doctor for meds again. But since I'm on preventive medication, I might as well try getting off them. If youre getting medicated because of acute hypertension, do what you doctor says.

4. Gasper

Gasper New Member

Been taking Verapamil and Benazapril for 12 years with very few issues. I did notice a possible relationship between headaches (at altitude and after exertion) and the Verapamil. Don't be shy about telling your Dr. what you don't like about a particular prescription, there are different avenues to take. It took a bit of trial and error to find a combo that works and doesn't negatively affect me but in the long run it'll be worth it. My grandfather passed in his 40's due to cardio probs as BP meds were not avail. On the other hand my father used the BP meds and lived a long full life.

5. evdog

evdog Member

I had a few readings at misc doctor visits over the past 6 months that showed in the 160/120-130 range. Was a real eye-opener for me. I am active so was pretty sure it is diet related, mostly salt ( I like salty food). I reviewed my eating habits in detail and noted a few favorites which were high in salt. By eliminating the 3 highest sodium meals and eating more fruits/veggies my BP has normalized in the 110/70 to 120/80 range with no other changes (does vary within the day). I'd rather change lifestyle than take meds, though I know that does not work well for everyone. Get a BP monitor if you haven't, BP readings can naturally be high at the doctors office.

6. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

LADWP
    I started Lisinopril 5mg, a couple weeks ago and had some side effects such as cough, lightheadedness when getting up from seated or crouched position, a sensation of being slightly high (best I can describe it) and a total lack of energy, I was drained! Only on it for one week and on the 7th day I returned for a checkup, 140/80 (just as it was before). I requested an alternate medicince and was given Amlodipine 5mg, went home and did some Googling and decided this one seemed to have harsher effects on many people than the one I was just on. So I didn't take it, I emailed the gp and told him im going to alter my diet and monitor bp at home, I'm now reading 120s/70s, but once in a while I see the 140/80 if Ive been been active just before the reading.

Sodium is tricky to eliminate but im doing much better than before. My advice is try to avoid the medication and focus on diet if at all possible, sometimes it's unavoidable though. To be fair, I didnt use the meds long enough to allow for my body to adjust. There is also another drug that some family members are on called Atenolol and they all seem to like that one(they wouldn't give that one too me for some reason though).

7. bing!

bing! Active Member

atenolol is like a rev limiter. if you live an athletic lifestyle, you may find yourself hitting a wall when exerting yourself.

8. maximililian

maximililian You Sneaky Cork-Soaker!

Owner of "Club Moronie" the finest fargin legit es
    Update......so in about 3 weeks, my pressure has gone from a fairly consistent 130/80 to 150/102 (depending on time of day).....to a fairly consistent 118/65. ZERO meds. All I did was:

* get back into riding (1,500' elevation gain or more) 3-5x per week.
    * 100% eliminate all oils (and no, olive oil is not healthy)
    * 90% plant based diet, which strangely wasn't that tough. I will eat a little cheese or salmon here and there; but that's it.
    * cut back on the booze.....and when I do drink, it's just red wine.
    * Supplements- Co-Q (Ubiquinole), Krill Oil and K2 (MK-7)

Weight is down to 215 (I'm a big boned 6'2"). I'd like to get down to 190....but that would be 9% or less body fat. FYI for anyone concerned about their BP. It's the killer. Don't let it get high and stay there. You'll be sorry, and wish you hadn't, by your 60s](*,)

9. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Bravo, max. Good on you for cutting out meds. Thanks for sharing your formula.

To good health...

10. wheeler

wheeler Member

Congrats!

KEEP IT UP