Blackstar | Chutes or Laguna | Aliso Ride - Suggestions and Takes

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by xflite, Jul 1, 2014.

1. xflite

xflite New Member

Hey Guys!

I was wondering which one would be a fun ride, I know tons of you guys rode the trails above. I am trying to get out like 12 or 15 miles, I normally ride Aliso (Gate,Down Lynx, Up Cholla, Down Rock It, Up Mathis, Down Meadows, Fire road back to MILF park then up to the towers then down 5oaks then back to MILF park to the car - Canyon Vistas Parking). I have seen some people do the Aliso Laguna rides and they get to hit downtown laguna for some breakfast and continue on riding (What route is that? Where do you guys park?)

or

Blackstar / Chutes route, I have never been around those trails so I wouldn't even know where to begin, park or go around, LOL.....if so what do you suggest and I also hear Smashface is fun to ride.

So what would you guys suggest or what similar routes mentioned above have you guys taken?

Suggestions and Guidance is much appreciated........ :clap::bang::wave:

2. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

To tie Aliso with Laguna Coast WP and/or El Moro/Crystal Cove, all you do is take Stairsteps trail down to the 133 (it starts on the ridge between Lynx and Rockit). Cross 133 and head up Willow in LCWP. Once up to Bommer ridge you have many options, BVD, fenceline over to or Rattlesnake in El Moro, or the other way on Bommer to T&A (Laguna Ridge), or east under the toll road to Camarillo or further, then stagecoach back to bottom of Willow. Unfortunately, to get back to Aliso, you have to go back up Stairsteps, ride the pavement (133/El Toro) around to MILF, or there's Canyon Acres fire road.

Can't help much on "Blackstar-Chutes" route. Didn't know those connected.

3. xflite

xflite New Member

Thank you DCRFX..... That route sounds fun...have you done it lately? When you get to the bottom of Stairsteps how fsr are you from the closest cafe....how was the hike back up? lol

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Strairsteps to the closest café is maybe 3 miles.

To get to downtown Laguna closest trails to town are: Canyon Acres and the other trails nearby is the fastest, some very tech singletrack choices there but you can just go down Canyon Acres Fireroad.

From Laguna Wilderness to closest to downtown is Laguna Bowl Road comes out at Festival Grounds, Watertank comes out up the hill from Laguna Museum, or Pinecrest comes out near Pavilions in Boat Canyon. Dartmoor Fireroad comes out very near Huskeys Boys.

It always helps when you ask for something more specific so we can narrow your options.

5. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    I'm not aware of a way to link Blackstar to Chutes. Are you thinking of Blackstar to the Luge maybe? Which would still be a long ride with a lot of fireroad and a long pavement pedal back to your car.

6. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

If you head down through El Morro and cross over PCH the Shake Shack isn't too far. I'd personally have problems if I stopped for a meal mid-ride, unless I could grab a nap too. :) The hike back up always sucks and would suck even more with a full belly. You could take the bus up to Top of the World as an option.:-k

7. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Maybe he was thinking Blackstar - Motorway?

I ride quite a bit at LCWP. I want to try to connect Aliso/LCWP sometime. Where is Canyon Acres?

8. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Canyon Acres is the stop light by the Boys/Girls Club in Laguna Canyon ride to the end of the street and you will see a gated fireroad. Checkout all the extra credit lines for the way back down.

9. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
  10. xflite

xflite New Member

Thanks so much for the info....I'll start plotting it out tonight.....for the Blackstar.....I forgot the other trail that meets up with it, I mentioned Chutes out of the blue....my bad......thanks for the map jasonMason...

11. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I've seen people post rides on Geoladders featuring both Blackstar and Chutes. Here's an example, although this guy climbed up the 3B's and dropped Chutes a second time, which probably adds an extra 800 to 1000 feet:

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=53965

Blackstar is a nice ride, but it's a fireroad. I don't think most people go do Blackstar when they're out for a good time, frankly, they either want to train, don't want to do anything technical or feel like punishing themselves with a long climb. Motorway, in my opinion, isn't worth the trip other than the fitness it provides in being able to reach it and the fact that it's a 15-20 minute descent, which is rare.

If you enjoy Aliso, who doesn't, I think you should explore Santiago Oaks--there are some trails there that you can mix together that a lot of trail riders enjoy. There are trails there that are pretty much as technical or close as anything you'll find in Aliso but Oaks is neat in that you can piece together a lot of variety whereas at Aliso and El Morro you have a long trip back after you descend. At Oaks, it just seems like you can piece together a ride with multiple, different climbs coupled with multiple descents. And the descents vary from flowy bermy less technical stuff to steeper technical descents.

Most people park in the Albertson's parking lot at Jamboree/Chapman then head North to the dirt near where Jamboree Rd ends at the entrance to Irviine Park. From there you either ride northwest and climb up and over the dam and into Oaks, then up the 3B's (used-to-b's) and down Barham and Chutes. Or you can head more due North and climb Chutes to the top, maybe descend Cactus the climb Bumblebee and descend Grasshopper or Hawk if you want something steep/technical or you can descend MountainGoat and go straight and descend the off-the-map "Waterfall" section of MountainGoat which is probably the most technical thing you can do at Oaks. Eventually, you should finish off by doing what is probably the most popular descent at Oaks, Chutes--make sure you follow "Chutes Ridgeline" if you want to have the most fun / are up for something technical, although it's not that technical but it does have some rock features. Nothing like Car Wreck or Stair Steps or the more advanced stuff at Aliso / El Morro.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=88

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=26476

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=13361

My $.02. Have fun exploring.

12. xflite

xflite New Member

thanks @jae2460 - I think you just sold me on Santiago Oaks.......never been there and we will see how this one goes....the trails you mentioned, how far are we talking? I will probably try the park at Albertson's thing, is it a loop? After going down Chutes does it bring me back to albertson's?

Thanks again for your your $.02 :beer:

13. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

I'd park at trails end. I wouldn't chance getting towed parking at Albertsons.

14. xflite

xflite New Member

Kriller134 - I just got a text from a friend he said not to park there cause you might get towed...LOL.....he gave me this address 8040 E. White Oak Ridge, Orange CA 92869 - is that the TH?

15. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

yes and no. if you go up more there's a park. that's where I park. look up Santiago Hills Park.