Blackstar Canyon = Beeks Place 10.2.07

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Pugz, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pugz

Pugz Fat guy in a little coat

Purchasing Manager
    Anybody interested in showing a newbie the beeks place run at Blackstar Canyon today. I've never ridden it but would like to try. I am pretty open on time, but I do not have a light.

Thanks,
    J

2. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Be sure you park by the tree lot and not all the way into Black Star Canyon Rd or you will be ticketed if it's after dark. You should have lights or ride during the day. You need to know the some things about Black Star. You should not ride it alone. There will be plenty of chances to ride to Beek's in the coming weeks & month's because it is the first 8 miles of the VQ/CC. Join us then when start our training rides. Here is a link to the Newbie ride I hosted. Be sure to read the links. http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for...r-beeks-place-newbie-ride-beeks-clean-up.html

There is also this. Some good reading here.

Go Ride Black Star!
    Bob "Keeps many Trails" Leoffler
    Have you ever ridden Black Star Canyon? Have you heard the horror stories? If this is a ride you’ve been putting off ‘cause of the rumors of "Black Star Bill", then here’s a few tips to get you going:
    1. Black Star Canyon Road - all of it – is open to public use. No motorized traffic is allowed behind the gate, but foot and bicycle traffic is.
    2. The land on either side of the road, from the gate to just past the "residences" IS private property. Also, the Hidden Ranch property, from the cattle grate to the upper gate is private land; just stay on the road and be careful around the cattle. The trail to the falls (just past the Studor residence at the switchback) is on U.S.F.S. land and IS open to public passage.
    3. Are the horror stories true? Yes… and no. Yes, Black Star Bill is a real person but, no, no one has been shot, stabbed or buried alive. Here’s the scoop on the permanent residents of Black Star Canyon. "Black Star Bill" Studor is the most infamous inhabitant. He’s somewhere between 35 and 45, 6’ and change, stocky with a prominent beer belly and long sandy hair. His favorite line is "private road! Private road!" His favorite trick is to park his truck in the middle of the public road where it passes in front of his place and post O.C. fire closure signs on construction barriers. Go around the truck and ignore the stolen signs. I’ve seen a woman up there who I hear is his wife. Don’t know her name but she’s about 30, slim with dark brown hair and blue eye shadow – doesn’t say much – but she’s good with the steely stares. You’ll pass the Studor "estate" on your right as you go up and it’s best not to stare or comment about the odd conglomeration of trailers, shacks, dogs and livestock until well out of earshot. The Tuttle’s also reside in Black Star and have been known to try to discourage people from using the road, too. Art Tuttle is 40 something, about 5’8", slight build with a reddish beard, glasses and a hat. His wife Clarisse is in her 30’s, about 5’5", rather matronly and also wears glasses. They’ve got two young boys and drive a tan Suburban. Art’s favorite line is actually a diatribe that includes how his grand daddy built the road, some obscure county rulings and ordinances, and how $60,000 damage was done by vandals to his possessions (after seeing his place, a person would have to wonder about that figure). Clarisse has been known to go on about how Mt. bikers wrecked Beek’s Place (yeah, and we left all our Busch cans up there, too). Understand that before the gate went up, lots of lowlifes cruised back there playing with guns and dumping trash, but that was many years ago. Now the only trash there belongs to Art and Bill, and it’s confined to their properties.
    4. Your chance of running into these people is slim and no matter what "lines" they use, remember: you have a right to use the road! Just be polite, bid everyone a good day, and continue on your way. If any one tries to block your passage- and you’re on the public road or trail- tell them that you will call the O.C. Sheriff. For obvious reason, it’s best to travel with a couple of buds and maybe a cell phone. Whatever you do, DON"T aggrivate the situation with an attitude and be sure you STAY ON THE ROAD!
    Is the ride worth the possible hassle? YA, YOU BETCHA! The scenery (outside of the "Deliverance" – style "estates") is exceptional, particularly through the Hidden Ranch. The views from the top are awesome, with all the major mountains visible on a clear day! The climb is easy enough for beginners but a good workout can be had at a faster pace. Beek’s Place is a great destination for the casual rider; stop for lunch and check out the old stone cabins and wind generator towers (feel free to pack out the Busch cans), then head down the way you came. Braver souls can head north on the Main Divide Rd. to the Silverado Motorway (way techno single track), then down to Maple Springs Trk. Tr. You’ll see the best section (scenery, views) of the Main Divide on this loop, but remember to consult a local trail guide and grab a map for the details. Do this ride and do it soon, before it gets too hot and the Main Divide gets opened to cars. And if on your way back down you run into some of the locals, remember to compliment Art on his granpappy’s work and mention to Bill that you’ll bring him some beer… next time!

3. Edog

Edog Member

Try this..

Try giving them a call & see if you can sign up today. There is normally plenty of space on the weekday rides.

[​IMG]

[FONT=arial,Times,serif]Description & Registration Information[/FONT]​

Come explore Black Star Canyon at night! This is a very strenuous ride that includes several climbs and descents. Riders with previous night riding experience are welcome. Mountain bike, helmet, 70 oz water (minimum), bike pump, spare tube, tools, and headlight with a minimum 12-watt output and 3 hour battery life required. Energy bars or other sustenance is highly recommended.

[FONT=arial,Times,serif]Night Mountain Bike Ride in Black Star Canyon[/FONT] REGISTRATION CLOSED

Spaces Available10Led ByIrvine Ranch ConservancyActivity Date10/2/2007Time6:00 PMActivity TypeBikingDistance12-15 mile(s)Duration3 hour(s)GuidedDocent-ledRecommended Age16+Additional Information
    Please call 714-508-4757. Close Window

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Gene, I am wondering why not to ride alone out there. I have rode Blackstar for years without any troubles. The Warriors have been trashing Art Tuttle for years...leave it alone…old story and only the Warriors side. I know Art and yes he is a cantankerous old coot for another time. The 60k worth of damage was to his livestock when he used to run cattle out there…many years ago…kids and guns! Since his stay a couple of years ago he has calmed down a lot, actually he is not in the canyon much because he is taking care of this mother in town. He did is number on a hiker in the canyon and she just happened to be a Deputy District Attorney…walking her dog and daughter.

Keeping the fire going just leads to people to be on thier worst out there. Enjoy the delieverance estates out there...knowing the OC they will be replaced with estates in the near future and it will be like every other canyon in OC.
    :steppie:

5. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Nothing to do with Art, just heard about Kids or gangs hanging out there late in the afternoon that's all. A couple guys I know rode there not too long ago and saw some Gangs hanging out drinking at the end where the gate starts. I wouldn't feel safe alone knowing that. Probably no big deal, but ya never know when guys get drunk and start acting stupid

6. Pugz

Purchasing Manager
    Gene, thanks for the info, I was not planning on riding alone or at night since I don't have a light. I was just looking to see if somebody felt like riding there and showing me around.

7. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

I don't know if I agree with that Dean. My dog and I had a run in with Art & his truck on the FR just last year. At the time I did not know it was Art, or I would have called him on his BS (and reported him). He was the agressor and didn't appear to have learned any lessons at all.

8. Edog

Edog Member

I've been

riding there for over 5 years by myself & never had any issues. As :steppie: pointed out there are 2 sides to every story, & I'm sure after the years of crap the residents have put up with down there including Vandilism, Illegal Shooting, Drug & Alchol Abuse, Trespress, Dumping of Waste & all the other BS they most likely aren't going to receptive to anybody. If that happened on my street I'd want a big ass gate at the end of it too!

9. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    We are thinking of riding here next tuesday night. If we can talk mtnbikerfred into it.

Bob Loeffler advised me not to ride here. Because gang bangers and taggers hang out here. He just finished scrapping graffiti off some rocks there. Plus the recent kitty sightings.

But our group bought lights to ride at night - we want to use them. So we will put ourselves in danger to use our new lights. Bob's said if you do go (he knows me well) I am going anyway...we stay together.

You are welcomed to join us.

10. Pugz

Purchasing Manager
    Thanks for the offer for next week but I don't have a light and won't have the funds for one for a little while.

11. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    We are cool. We can lend you one of the cheap lights we purchased at first. Then realized we should have bought the good stuff and did.

Or we can attach a smalll flashlight to your helmet (I am kidding) and we never did that.

You can follow mtnbikerfred's blinky (we never did that either).

If this ride happens we will let you.

You let us know if your coming and we will have a spare light for you.

12. Pugz

Purchasing Manager
    Thanks Ezzy, sounds like a fun group to ride with, please let me know if you go, you are talking about next Tuesday correct?

13. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    Pugz - this week is a total bust for me in regard to beeks (may try to hook up with you guys for Peters C tomorrow but will be tough), but I should have some available during the day next week if you can swing it to hit b-star /beeks. Just him me with PM if you want to cooridinate

14. Pugz

Purchasing Manager
    Sounds good, I will let you know about next week once I know my schedule. You should totally come out tomorrow for Peters Canyon it is going to be a good time.

15. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Yeah!

Next tuesday.

16. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Pugz-

IMHO - I think your 1st ride on Blackstar should be with someone during the day...It's a very long climb......Very long......I also think it should be with someone who will be willing to take breaks and motivate you to the top (trust me)...The ride down is fun, but at night could be interesting also - unless you kinda know what's coming (man made bumps on turns).

I would be interested in doing another Blackstar ride sooner than later. Let's make some plans....Just a few slower people who'd like to better our climbing skills...I personally need a ton of climbing skills...I just plain old suck wind, oh every 150 yrds or so...It makes for a very long ride and I'd like to get a better time in than my 1st try.

Now that VC and the CC are up and people are getting ready to train, there will be more traffic on the trail. We wouldn't be trying to keep up with them though. Just our own goals to make it up the long climb..:bang:

Lets talk about doing it on Wed, Maybe Brian would want to try it again and ride with us?

17. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    yeah was trying to find orig post to reply for that ride but this seems easier. anyway, what I thought was sort of flu kicking my a$$, yesterday dr. tells me nasty sinus infection, i'm now popping horse sized antibiotocs with hopes to submit this thing. will do my best to be out there..but if not enjoy and i should have some time and legs to ride next week (b-star or otherwise)

18. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
    Make sure you all bring plenty of food, water, and extra tube, and plenty of extra ammunition.

19. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Pugz - I totally agree with surlygal.

Just so you know - we are not the fastest group. We take breaks whenever anyone in our group needs it. Our intention is not to make it to the top. Our intention is to start focusing on long climbs.

We have several different levels of riders but we all stick together.

Mtnbikerfred - is really good at encouraging and getting us all uphill. Since I started riding with him my ride has improved.

Anyone is welcomed and it's a no pressure ride.

I have not ridden blackstar yet - other riders in the group have. I have been working on my uphill - but I just got over a bad lung infection. I like to ride and I'll keep trying. The reason to ride at night is because some of our riders get out at 5:00. Personally I love riding at night. You don't focus so much on all the bumps and rocks on the road. That's a personal thing.

Our group won't give up on anyone and we won't leave anyone. We are happy to ride and we will ride with anyone that want's to ride with us.

Surlygal - we would love for you to ride with us.

20. Shannon

Shannon ........

I'm coming down this weekend to ride. CC and I are riding Blackstar Saturday morning about 9:00 if you're interested in going. NOT, I repeat NOT a fast pace. We'll be taking breaks and chatting while we're riding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.