blackburn x8 mod (cree q5) - 2 x 228 lumen setup

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by faded1004, Apr 30, 2008.

1. MStRider

MStRider New Member

Blacckburn design changed??????

Hi guys,
    After reading your posts about "pimping" the X8SL I've bought an Blackburn X8SL Set a couple of days ago and ordered some new LEDs.
    Now I wanted to change them, opened my lights and now I've a problem:
    They look totally different to your pictures. :-k
    The LEDs in my two X8SLs are not mounted on a star??? And also the "heat sink" (the piece made of copper in your pictures) is missing?! :?:
    What can I do now?
    Just mount the star in? But what's about the heat transfer?
    Thanks for your help.:beer:

P.S.:
    Sorry about my bad english.... :(

Attached Files:

2. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

Pics

It would be nice to have a top down view into the housing. Nevertheless, (1) it looks like they have just reduced the PCB (printed circuit board) size. A standard star that fits into the housing is 20mm. It looks like the screw holes that I see will still work for a 20mm star, but I would set one of your new stars into the housing first to see if the screw holes line up.

(2) The protuberance in the center of the house looks like it it is connected to a heat sink that is smaller or more recessed. I can see from the original LED that it is smeared with heat conductive grease, so my guess is that you will be fine mounting a new LED. Just make sure you have plenty of grease to ensure good contact between the point in the PCB over where the LED sits and the sink.

If nothing else, try it out and see if it is getting excessively hot.

3. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    yes, it looks like the just made the heatsink part smaller to save materials... like they just made it contact in the most important areas?

like cilantro said, you need to just try to get the screw mounting spacing. there are other led sizes available, like for example there will be smaller leds stars, so you aren't totally out...

hint, try to measure the pcboard where the led is, instead of tryin to measure the actual mount inside the board. all the leds will have technical papers and will give exact mount spacing for all designs...

MSTRIDER, can you take a better pic of the led pc board it self?

4. MStRider

MStRider New Member

Hi.
    Thanks for your help. :beer:
    You're right, the standard 20mm star fits.
    I mounted the new star inside but it seems that I need something like a washer, because the sink not at the same level like the screw holes (I don't know how to explain it other way...)
    Can I use a standard steel / iron / copper washer?
    But apart from that it seems to work. \\:D/

I've another question: I'd like to try out the modded LED, but I don'thave my accu here (I've sent it back to my dealer cause of its short runtime ~1h50 :-k)

Anybody an idea how to "simulate" an accu?
    What clamping do I need / what clamping does the Blackburn resist? Is there an step down / boost up mounted?
    Can I use my old Sigma 6V NiMH accu / my 12V DC power supply?
    And how to connect it?

Thaks for your help.

P.S.: Sorry that I can't post some more pictures, but I don't have an camera here. Maybe in 1-2 days if it's requested.

5. BhamJonathan

BhamJonathan New Member

IT - Cobol Programmer
    I did just as you have listed above. Ordered the Q5 and I can't believe the difference. I finished the modification at midnight and I was so pumped about the difference that I just took off for a 2 hour ride. Tomorrow night one of our Local Bike Shops is hosting a 17 mile Full Moon MTB ride. What a difference these lights are going to make.

THANKS FOR YOUR POST!!! THIS IS REALLY AWESOME!!

6. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    sorry to ressurect, but it looks pretty simple to do, even if one isnt too much mechanically inclined, right?
    i'm thinking about doing this with the R2 since they're only about 7 bucks each..
    i'm assuming the paste is to be put on behind the LED, so that the heat doesnt transfer backwards?
    thanks.

7. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

Thermal Paste is Used to Conduct the Heat

Actually, just the opposite. The paste is thermal paste, which causes heat to transfer from the LED into the heatsink more efficiently. You need it to ensure that the heat is being drawn away from the LED and into the large heatsink in the back of the light, where it dissipates into the air.

I use arctic silver thermal compound, which you can get from a lot of different retailers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

8. BhamJonathan

BhamJonathan New Member

IT - Cobol Programmer
    Thanks for the update on the R2's

Earlier this month I modified my BlackBurn lights to the Q5 LEDs. WOW what a difference. I finished the mod at midnight and I was so pumped that I hopped on my bike and ride trails near my house until 2:00 AM. I was oh so pleased.

I just saw your post about the R2 LEDs and even though I just installed the Q5's I went ahead and ordered a pair of the R2'S. For $14 why not! Thanks for your step by step instructions. Due to a hectic schedule and 3 kids my only time to ride is 5:00 am or 9:00 pm. So my lights are very important. You just help me change my $100 set of lights to a $300 or $400+ set of lights.

THANKS!!!

9. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    yea, for a person who can play and mod alittle... these lights are perfect... i have been hounding blackburn for an extra charger, but they won't give! hahaha... any one work for them and has a hook up on where i can get another charger?

10. volvo_manny

volvo_manny New Member

Voltage of the Plug Pack

Ive lost my plug pack. What is the output voltage of the plug pack and its polarity?

i think its 5v with the inside being minus outside being positive.... but i cant remember...

Blackburn haven't replied to my emails about the output voltage or purchasing a replacement adapter :( *sigh*

-Manny

11. autoduel

autoduel sandbagger

Architecture
    It's 12v 850mah, positive center conductor.

12. volvo_manny

volvo_manny New Member

my light just ran out of power

Your an absolute champion! :beer:

13. shane_van_axle_rod

shane_van_axle_rod New Member

I know that this is an old thread, but I just wanted to thank faded1004 and anyone else who has any offered any information on how to upgrade blackburn lights. I just put Cree XR-E R2 in my x8's and they work as expected except brighter. This tutorial made it super easy for me to do this diy project. I was considering buying the new NiteRider x2 dual, until I ran across this thread.

Thank you for saving me a bucket of money, and thank you for all the great pictures, information and time. I, along with many others, appreciate it!

14. Kahuna

Kahuna New Member

15. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

I use Arctic silver. Looks like basically the same thing.

16. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    yea it will... in the computer world... supposedly... artic silver 5 has the best thermal transfer and all around performance (like ease of application and stuff).

that one will work just fine, there are some that are adhesives. so make sure you do'nt get the adhesive kind. you don't want to make it semi permanent. it will be hard to get back in and pry the led out.

17. Brewtal

Brewtal Squirrel Whisperer

Outfrigginstanding! Much thanks for this thread! I didn't even know this was possible! I have the X8 system and have had my eye on brighter upgrade systems but now I can hold off and give this a try.
    I have another problem with the X8 though and have a feeling I am not alone here when I ask if anyone else has difficulties with the power buttons? Trying to turn the damn things on and off with gloves on is often a task.
    Push and hollllld...nothing, push and hold.....nothing.....grrrrrr, push and hold...FINALLY!
    Not the end of the world just frustrating. Any tricks?

18. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    BLACKBURN X8 740 lumen ( 2 x 370 lumen ) setup update...

hi guys, i have been out of the scene for a long time. i wanted to come back and visit one of my contributions and try to make an update. so, it looks like this light has given me so much enjoyment and now it is time to upgrade! new light you say? so right now, i get about 456 lumens which i think is on par with most basic lights.

but this little guy has given me so much! how can i keep it? CREE XP-G BABY!

okay, here are some specs and information about what i am using. i bought my leds from ledsupply, they are quick and reasonable for prices.

here is the led, cree XPG R5 - http://ledsupply.com/creexpg-w139.php

also, i am going to use their carlo optics - http://ledsupply.com/carclo-optics-xpg.php

here is the actual lens holder i am using with the original optic from blackburn - http://ledsupply.com/10734.php

so what does this give me? combo beam pattern with my choice of optic patterns with 2 bright leds rated around 370 lumen? that is what i call an update! this will give me many more years of service and pleasure!

so, like the beginning, just took apart the headlights and extracted the leds. my first attempt is just to preserve the original optics for now, and just get the new led engine running.

here is a picture of a the 2 leds associated with this blackburn project. lower right side is the cree q5 i put in at the beginning of this thread. amazing led! the lower left is the new cree XP-g r5 led. i know there are some other new leds coming out by cree, but i thought this one is at a good price right now and i had a few laying around cause i modded my headlight for camping with it and stuff.

[​IMG]

so, on to the mod. like the beginning, i just took everything apart and just started to take things apart. to preserve the original optics, you will just need to buy the carlo lens base. here are all the 3 pieces together.

[​IMG]

now, the blackburn is kinda good because it let's to compress the whole assembly so i don't have to use glue. which means, easy to take apart and mod again later!

[​IMG]

here is how it looks like all together, i know the lens is too big, but you will see that it sets up the lens at the right height. it was meant to be!

[​IMG]

so, once you get the led in... you should be at this point.

[​IMG]

just be careful when you put the lens holder in. just be aware of all the wires. with the lens holder it will look like this.

[​IMG]

with the lens in, and just make sure to keep the spacer as in the first mod. i used 1 side of a zip lock bag, it is soft and gives me enough of a height to press up against the lens.

[​IMG]

so now that is all done, you just need to put the rest of the pieces and play with your new toy. here is a link to my comparison to the new and old leds. something i just put together with my point and shoot camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD681mi0xSI

so now i have 2 sets of these both shooting 740 lumens. such a nice set i just love them. if you get a set of these at a good price. you should totally jump on it. this is such an easy mod. i don't think there are too many of the lights that MStRider got, since i got mine from 2 different retailers and also 2 different times.

once i test these on the trails, i am going to start playing around with different optics if needed. but i definitely feel like i don't think i will need to.

you know, i press from front to back... and i don't have any problems... try that to see if that helps. i think the button is bias'd to the front part of the rubber button...

19. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    i love seeing diy stuff like this. awesome. im using the same led. it is a bright sucker. cree has a new xm-l led out now, but the color temperature is way too blue on the bins that are available. whats crazy is this new one is 20% more efficient than even the xpg.

i just saw a really cool diy light where someone used an old rockshox fork stantion as the housing for his light. crazy.

20. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    That video does a great job of showing the lighting improvement. Good job. I am still VERY happy with my Q5 upgrade and have had no issues with it. I use Dual Mi-Newts on my bars and the X8 flood on my helmet. My son just started riding again and asked for some lights. Looks like I get to play with LED's again.