Bike to work Day, Bring a change of clothes, Post your bike to work week/day photos!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sdyeti, Apr 16, 2008.

?

How many of you Commute to work/school ?

1. Everyday(more than 3 days a week)

22 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. 2 days

13 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. only once in while

17 vote(s)
    22.4%
  4. Never, too far of a commute

24 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Well, I've ridden to work every night so far this week, with just tonite to go.

Brought my camera with me, and got a few shots.
    Sorry if they're a little blurry, I was just movin' right along while taking them.#-o:lol:

The first two are on my way in last night.

Strawberry fields, with Modjeska & Santiago peaks in the background.

[​IMG]

Wish I was up there riding, insted of down here riding to work.

[​IMG]

Now for the ride home this morning.....

Outside of our warehouse...the big "A".

[​IMG]

It took me four freak'n times to finally get this picture, and I think it came out really COOL!
    I was trying to get the "BIKE LANE" paint with a token H-bar shot for Allision.

Here's what came out.......:bang:

[​IMG]

It was a bit hairy. If you check out my speed-o in the bottom right hand corner, you'll see why. :lol:

And last but not least......

Trying to at least slow down and smell the rose's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm gonna try and continue to make this a habbit.
    All though my legs are a bit sore after riding so much this week. #-o:lol:8-[

2. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I dig the shot :bang:

Try just riding a bit slower for active recovery? That and maybe your legs will get used to the additional miles!!

3. uno-speedo

uno-speedo Its all about the ti baby

Design things
    I drove in #-oalong the coast and saw plenty of bikers out. One dude was on a unicycle about to commit to Torrey Pines :clap:

Thats a rad shot!

4. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    Woohoo! I made it in despite the scorching temps getting me all sweaty on the sub 1 mile ride. :)

Attached Files:

5. mtbgurl26

mtbgurl26 "g"

my ride to the ride

i work from home, so i rode to the trails. 7 road miles, 7 trail miles, 7 road miles. good times.
    [​IMG]
    scenery
    [​IMG]
    almost to the trail
    [​IMG]
    finally there woohoo!
    [​IMG]
    time to ride home
    [​IMG]
    more scenery
    [​IMG]
    fun downhill
    [​IMG]
    that is all

hope everyone had a fabulous ride in today!!:)

6. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle New Member

accounting
    OK,, this sucks. When i went biking to work this morning my cell phone keep ringing. My phone was in my camelback so i didnt want to stop and anwer it. When I got to work my boss said she has been trying to get a hold of me. She said I could take the day off becuz its gonna be slow. So, I went back home.

7. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    At least you got in a nice ride either way and have the day free :D

8. mntbiker12

mntbiker12 Quest: Singletrack

Marketing Director / Marketing Consultant
    Bike to Work Day got me in trouble!!

It's my fault really, I was way late to work this morning and it had nothing to w/ traffic or having to ride in.

My route to work when on the bike takes me, of all places, right through my local trail. What really made me late was the discovery of the MTBer's equivalent to finding gold - New Singletrack! So of course, I stopped to play.

That's why I don't ride to work often - some days I'd never make it into the office :D

9. Esqo

Esqo New Member

I wish I could say I rode my single speed monocog from Tierrasanta to my office in downtown SD but I had neither the balls nor the time to do so. So I cheated and drove to the Zoo parking to meet my buddy Leslie. We biked to downtown from there.

The nice people at the Zoo brought out a bunch of refreshments, as well as some funky animals.

Attached Files:

10. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    Walk to work day

I got out of bed, stumbled downstairs to eat b-fast and make coffee. Took the dog out for a walk.

Then walked into the 3rd bedroom and set the laptop up there.

11. Esqo

Esqo New Member

We stopped at the Hall of Justice and role along the Harbor. It was a beautiful day in America's Finest City.

Attached Files:

12. Esqo

Esqo New Member

You could have taken your dog out and rode the Zion around the block at the same time.

13. emfc

emfc Don't taze me bro

Military
    I have been at work since yesterday at 6 am. Ironically I have to drive to the shop and pick up my bike today after work.

14. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    the fork's shot so i'd have to take the fsrxc. i might go for a LunchPQ today though...

15. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    I live in the Lake Forest/Mission Viejo area and work in the Santa Fe Springs/Pico area! Yikes.....! I've driven up/down Imperial Hwy through Fullerton, La Habra, & etc to see what the traffic is like during commute hours and it hasn't appeared very "bike" friendly. #-o

How true. About 6 or 7 years ago, I'd commute from Brea to Santa Fe Springs. Lambert, Leffingwell (La Habra Blvd) & Imperial are all bad choices. It's a mini-freeway from the 57. After my third close call, I hung up the tires.

Now, Whittier is in the process of converting an old train right-of-way into a multi-purpose path. It ends at Lambert / Scott for the moment. Maybe I'll bring the Santa Cruz to work one day and ride the rails to the house. I've seen a small BMX course taking shape near Lambert / Beach.......

[​IMG]

Hey Crash, I work a few times a month with Gil in the Electric Shop and also Jess back in building maint.

And going WAAAYYYY back, I used to unload trucks full of watermelons out there back in the 80's for cash. Nothing like heaving melons all day inside a 130-degree trailer....:-({|=

16. R2D2

R2D2 New Member

Hey mtbgurl26 ....now I know why you wanted to ride the street to the trail.......I forgot it was bike to work day....
    Nice pics...but no self portrait???

17. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Bike to Work Day RR

Since I started this thread, I figured I had better ride to work to avoid public shame :)

Actually, I contemplated that for me to make it to work on time (7:30), I'd have to leave for work by 5:30 at the latest to make it from La Jolla-UTC to Chula Vista. Not going to happen.

So, I made a compromise: drive in part way, park at my friend Laura's house, and then ride the rest of the way to work. Not the greatest, but it was something, I figured.

I have ridden on the road a fair amount. Usually, I find my mind is paying attention to cars and random scenery. For some reason, though, today's short ride was to prove to be an avenue for contemplation about all sorts of random things, too lengthy to list here (and frankly, I can't remember them all)!

BTW day begins...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My bike of choice today
    [​IMG]

What I do know is that I learned some lessons...

Lesson #1...clothing counts

Not in the "oh-I-am-dressed-so-cute" way, but rather the "classical conditioning" way. Pavlovian, sort of. I chose to ride my Niner to work since I knew it would be a fairly short ride. I dressed in trail riding gear. My brain expected a trail ride. D'oh!

Self-portrait
    [​IMG]

Lesson #2...drivers can be too nice (kinda)

I came up to a "T" intersection and the light was red. It was 6:30 in the morning. Not a lot of cars on the road. I wasn't heavy enough to trip the sensor and make the light change. I watched it cycle through twice without going green. The car behind me gave me sooo much room (2 car lengths) that he didn't trip the sensor either. I finally coaxed him up closer and was on my way in no time.

Pit stop @ Performance
    [​IMG]

Micro is there to greet me (said I was 3rd or 4th rider of the day) and hand me some swag
    [​IMG]

Lesson #3...street names can be deceiving

I work on Hilltop Street. I rode almost all the way along Hilltop Street. I spent a lot of time climbing.

Photo-op
    [​IMG]

Lesson #4...sweating

No matter how hard I tried to not pedal hard and attack the hills for fear of arriving at work a sweaty mess, I couldn't help it. Baby wipes to the rescue!

Lesson #5...always look both ways

No, I didn't have a close call. Actually, I was looking for my right turn onto Peppertree. As I approached the intersection that I thought might be it, I looked at the street sign on the left. G Street. Not yet, I thought. Until I was a block past and realized it's G Street on the west side and Peppertree on the east. Oops 8-[

West side
    [​IMG]

East side
    [​IMG]

Lesson #6...perspective is everything

Being on my bike and waiting for a lot of lights gave me time to observe a lot of drivers. I drive about 40 miles round trip to work. I drive. I probably have some bad habits. But what I saw with people driving today made me cringe. You name it, I probably saw it.

A nicer perspective
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lesson #7...trying something new can be scary

...but in the end, it's more the fear of the unknown that scares you. I had never commuted to work before. I was nervous about taking the rights clothes, choosing a safe route, not forgetting anything, how much of my lunch I could fit in my pack, etc. Despite fretting a tiny bit, it all worked out great. I see the beginning of a new trend.....

I was thinking of exploring...
    [​IMG]

All in all, I only rode 12.5 miles (no idea about elevation gain) but...if I do the route 3 times a week, it'll be like parking my car at home for one whole day. And, I managed to squeak in a whole hour of cardio that I otherwise may have had to go to the gym for. And one of the best parts...I hyped up Bike to Work Day in my classroom the past two days. My students naturally asked if I would be riding. I was honest and said only part way. Only 6 miles, I said. "Whoa! 6 miles!! That's far!!!" they exclaimed. ;)

Hope everyone enjoyed the day!

18. emfc

emfc Don't taze me bro

Military
    Most of those pics are along my route I bike to work.

19. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Med Staff Whatever
    So I rode on Wed and Fri and found it was quicker to ride than to drive. It takes 15-20 minutes to drive and 10-15 minutes to ride. I have 4 really long lights and when I ride I have only 1 in my one mile commute. (okay to be underwhelmed) The funny thing is when my commute was 15 miles it took and hour to drive and an hour to ride. So here is my beach cruiser aka single speed. DynoRide...very cushy.

Attached Files:

20. atomrat

atomrat New Member

I did it. I rode home from work. I carpooled in with a co-worker. I live in Temecula and work Rancho Bernardo. I managed to get my route down to 38 miles. I rode my Epic with the tires pumped up to 60#.

3:05 hrs of riding time, 3:30 hrs of total time.

I was relieved once I got out of Escondido, less traffic.

I knew it was going to be hot and a long ride, but I didn't take account that there was going to be a head wind almost the whole trip home. At one point, I was cruising about 17 mph, came around a turn and was slowed down to about 13 mph. It was heart breaking.

I was coming up one of the last hill climbs when my right calf started to tighten up a little bit. I stopped to stretch it out. Started up again, about 2 miles later, it tighten up hard, had to stop. That was hard, it was on the last hill on a 2 lane road with no shoulder. I was in the ditch stretching it out.

Coming down Rainbow canyon into Temecula was a blast. I thought it was fun in a car, it was much better on a bike.

Oh yea, ran out of water with about 3 miles to go. I need to get a bigger hydro pack. I have a 70 oz. but I also brought a bottle with Clif Bar powder.

But it was worth it. I might plan to do this trip once a month. Co-workers thought I was crazy, maybe a bit.