Bike to work Day, Bring a change of clothes, Post your bike to work week/day photos!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sdyeti, Apr 16, 2008.

?

How many of you Commute to work/school ?

1. Everyday(more than 3 days a week)

22 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. 2 days

13 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. only once in while

17 vote(s)
    22.4%
  4. Never, too far of a commute

24 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Just thought I'd post the info in case anyone was considering it.

Bike to Work Day 2008

I thought about it, but I'd have to ride through National City. Um, no. However, if anyone can suggest a decent way to get from UTC/La Jolla to Chula Vista (East Orange/Hilltop), then I might consider it.

2. boludo

boludo Member

Money Manager/Finance
    Is it not bike friendly? I figured there would be lots o trails on the hills down there. the many times i've been the LJ I've always wondered if there were trails on all the open spaces.

What i'd recommend is riding a bit more aggressively or be prepared for the worst.

Put a tray of tennis balls on your bike to throw at cars/drivers that try to kill you. If possible, have a some gas and an open flame so you can douse the ball, light it, then throw it.

And in case you use one of the tennis balls and said ball really makes someone angry, you should also wear full body armor and full helmet. That way somebody trying to inflict pain on you will have a very hard time doing so. Unless of course that person has in his/her car a firearm, bow, crossbow, slingshot, blowgun, bullwhip, tire iron, bat, sword, dagger, claymore, or a pipe.

Also carry a large and conspicuous knife on the front or top of your pack. 6 inch blade is best.

Ever since I put a large knife on my camelback i've had much more courteous drivers near me.

3. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    thnx for the post Steph...I was thinking about that as I was pedaling to work this am....won't be able to to the 5/16 day ride with the Traverse the next day...but I'm getting days in now! It would make a BIG difference if it were possible for most of us to ride to work a couple days a week...both in our back pockets ($$$) and in Mother Nature. (I know it's now possible for everyone) Happy and SAFE riding!

4. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Getting from LJ to Mission Bay area would be pretty easy via the canyon system.

Getting from Mission Bay to Chula is where I can't figure it out.

I've had water bottles thrown at me before...not fun.

5. Evil Chocula

Evil Chocula ah buh bye now

Aww man, it's going to be tough, but I'll do it!

(my commute to work is 1.2 miles :lol:)

6. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    way to take one for the team!!:clap::clap::clap::lol:

7. station

station Is this thing on?

yay! I'm in!

8. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    In theory, it's a great idea... in practice -whew!- too risky. When I lived in San Francisco, for seven years I didn't even own a car... rode my MTBike everywhere (or used the excellent public transit system). The thought of riding from Laguna to Santa Ana makes me cringe. [-(

9. OffRoadie

OffRoadie Roadie in Exile

Electrical Engineer
    I'm not going to work that day. I'll do it a couple of times that week.

10. Sebastian

Sebastian New Member

Project Manager for Lanscape Design Firm
    I wont be riding that day as I am doing the Traverse as well. I ride pretty much 4 out of 5 days a week to work. It helped big time with my endurance. Plus I am awake all day at work. Natural caffeine.

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Why on Friday anyway? That's gonna be my recovery day :lol:

Starting soon we'll be commuting 3-4 days a week and bumping up our road riding. Hope to save on some fuel for sure.

12. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    I try to ride to work once a week or so. It's hard to find a day when I don't have parent meetings or other obligations where I need to be a bit more professionally dressed. But, whenever I find one of those days I *love* to save myself the gas of the 18 mile round trip to & from my classroom.

Sdyeti, my students get a kick out of seeing me in mtb shorts & a jersey. Anything that is remotely related to our life/hobbies outside of school is of the UTMOST interest to them, as I'm sure you know. It really does set a whole different tone to the day when you're dressed down like riding requires. I'm sure I *could* pack slacks & a shirt, but where's the fun in that??

Plus, I can work in about half of the Fully Loop on my way home.

Thanks for the heads up!

13. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I usually commute to work during this time of the year, but with a busted rib, I'll wont till it gets better. My commute to is 19 miles each way, but it's mostly bike lanes and bike paths through Irvine.

14. ApexMan

ApexMan So fresh I'm fly!

draftsman
    Come May I'll have ya beat at around 1.035 miles to my office! :lol:

This is a great cause, getting gas pretty much is a crack of a whip on my rump these days! #-o

15. Impy

Impy Active Member

I am going to start "split commuting" soon - the ride from West LA to Long Beach is too long to do as a 2 way daily commute but I am planning on this..

Drive into work one day, with bike. After work, drive to friend's house in san pedro (this eliminates the dangerous and industrial part that I woudl have to bike through), park, and then bike through PV and along bike path to home. In am, reverse the route. When I get into work I can shower. As long as I remember to bring clothes for the next day when I drive, this is doable. Will save some gas too! I used to do this in NorCal.

By the way, some days I get out too late to do the entire thing. Is there any nice person on STR living in redondo area who will let me park outside their house? :D:D

16. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    What if it was all bike paths and only minimal riding on streets would have a bike lane?

I can think of a few routes to get to Santa Ana on mostly bike paths with no cars around. Riding on the road will be inevitable, but OC has tons of bike lanes.

Also there is nothing wrong with utilizing the train system too. You could ride your MTB across Aliso and into Laguna hills where you could bring your bike on the train then ride from the train station in Santa Ana to your work. Might take longer than driving, but it sounds more fun.

Check out www.bikemetro.com and www.metrolinktrains.com

17. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I wish we had any bike path's here. There are a few roads we ride on that don't have bike lane's at all, and usually the few that do don't have very wide lanes at all.

When we ride up to our ride in the mountains we're actually riding on the edge of a road with no shoulder and the pavement is falling apart #-o

For our work commute, only about 1/3 of the ride (4.5 miles each way) is on a narrow (two lanes each side of the road) street with no bike lane. I try to ride in the gutter. Fine in the mornings (not much traffic), but it gets kinda sketchy in the afternoon when there are 3 lanes of traffic/cars backed up a few miles and people darting in and out trying to get around.

18. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    You're a brave soul! :clap: I'd feel safer riding down T&A with no helmet than doing your road route. :-s

19. SheDevil

SheDevil I just ride my bike....

I'd have to maneuver thru deep downtown Santa Ana...and as a six foot white woman it becomes quite the spectacle....I should do it tho. I'd def ride the mtb, as I think sidwalks and lawns might save my life. I think I'll strap a machete onto my pack...if a knife works for you I'd need to go bigger ;)

20. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    I'm pretty familiar with the Murrieta/Temecula area, what is your route right now?