Bike Snobs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by airone1, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Infamous

Infamous Member

The the OP, you rule. :)

I have a slightly different perspective on things... I grew up as a BMXer with very little money. My first couple of bikes were frankenbikes of the highest order. But, I loved to ride. And, ride I did. I rode every day for years, built trails, raced whenever I could and did fairly well. Even got in some magazines for jumping, alongside 2WheeLee. That was in the 80s.

In the early 90s I bought a low-to-mid range Cannondale and rode for a few years. I still had a fair bit of BMX skill which helped a lot. I remember seeing overweight middle aged guys in the shops and on the trails with really expensive bikes that they could barely ride. Remember when Whiting used to have the little log at the entrance? I'd bunnyhop it like a curb, while they'd dismount from their $4K rigs while complaining that they needed the kevlar beaded tires to save 40 grams. I remember feeling a little irritated at those guys, but figured it's their money, they can do what they want.

In the late 90s to early 2000s (in my 30s), I raced a lot more BMX, mostly at the national level.

In the last year, I got myself a nicely spec'd Uzzi and now a Yeti DJ. I still have some decent BMX skills and am in decent enough shape to pass a lot people up the hills. But (and here's where my perspective may be different), even with whatever abilities I have, I know my bikes are capable of handling much more than I can offer them. I know in the hands of the real guys, these bikes could handle some crazy big and uber fast riding. I love my bikes, but am almost embarrassed to be riding them sometimes because I know there are riders who are lot better than I am who deserve to be riding nice bikes. But, I get some good deals and now have a career that affords me nice things, and if I want to ride a nice bike, I will. At the end of the day (or the ride) it's all about the riding experience itself and the smile on your face. As long as you've got a bike to ride, it really doesn't matter one bit whether you or anyone else is on a used-parts franken BMX bike or a shiny new $5000 f/s MTB.

2. Mdm. Dabalot

Mdm. Dabalot New Member

Some of us have nice bikes because we can afford them and need to buy all the skill we can. I respect great riders on old bikes - they have enough skill to keep their money in their pockets.

3. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    I haven't been keeping-up with this thread, but i'll say this: I really don't GAF what someone else rides... the bottom line is that you're riding PERIOD.

At the end of the day, it's not what you ride that counts, it's what you do on the bike that matters,.

4. mtnkitty

mtnkitty Guest

If people care that much about what kind of bike I ride, they can contribute to my "new bike" fund. I'd like the most expensive bike you can afford, thanks! ;)

5. surfzombo13

surfzombo13 King of Kooks

Tin Knocker
    Home Page:
    Nice thread. IMHO, I only (for now) have this advice:

Don't fry bacon naked.

6. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics

Yet my wife can't help herself.

7. fatguy1

fatguy1 Active Member

owner of auto detail co.
    Man I love bacon.......

8. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

So check it out.... If your riding, your having fun.... who cares what bike your on..................... Very serious note here

The only bikes I will frownd upon out on the trails are department store bikes. Look up the failures on these online sometimes, this is were the phrase Just riding along comes from. Seriously, failures on these are BAD, frames just coming apart, forks falling into peices, components disintegrating ETC.....

This isnt a joke, nor do I find it funny, if your riding a Dept store bike out of nessecity for commuting.... great. It was said here, These bikes are not listed as bikes, they are listed as toys for a reason. They really are built with sub par materials with little to zero QC on them, then are assmebles by people who have zero training in bicycle repairs.

It truly IS scary how many of these so called "mountain bikes" Say right in the owners manual.... "Not for offroad use"

Some of those failures are downright scary, and flat out dangerous

9. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

The only thing worse than a bike snob, is a trail snob mountain biker(s).

Over the weekend I took my boys 7 and 9 yrs old for a ride in Sycamore Canyon (Sta Monica Mtns), fun time! On our way down Two Foxes, I noticed 4 riders coming the opposite direction. Now, its not really an uphill for them or us, so, its just give and take. Being my boys are less experienced on the single track, I told my 9 yr old who is leading to stop and make way for people coming around the corner. A few seconds later, 1 guy, 2 guys, 3 guys, and then the 4th pass us. Not a wave, a nod, smile, how are you, or even thanks went by. So, the 7yr old asks, "Dad, why are they mad", my response "they are not, they are just snobs".

We went on and enjoyed the rest of our ride.

Don't be a snob, most of us out there are really having a good time, LOL!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
  11. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics

LOL. Perfect!

Gotta love kids, at least they say it like it is.

12. Monster Mash

Monster Mash New Member

The last time I did that I burnt my sausage... :-s

That sucks... I took my 8yo out on some local singletrack a few weeks ago and everyone we came across had words of encouragement. It made him proud to be out there....

13. IamH4v0c

IamH4v0c New Member

Const. Estimator/PM
    FRAK! I can't keep up with you people. New frame, new forks, new headset and stem, new cranks & peddles...AND NOW I NEED NEW SOCKS?!

14. jumpman

jumpman New Member

Engineer
    To be fair, they could be on the tail end of one hell of a ride and are just too tired to acknowledge anything else. I've been there - just get to the end of the trail, just get to the end of the trail....

15. sjkutina

sjkutina New Member

Allow me to summarize my thoughts about these kind of riders ''A rider that buys a bike he can't appreciate with money he doesn't have to impress people he doesn't know.

16. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

that's cool because I'll tell you right now and straight up ..... they are not as much fun to ride because you don't have gas money.

17. 1TrackMind

1TrackMind Member

Sales

totally off topic...

But last weekend we were on our way back from AZ (I did have three great rides out there, so not un bike related) and we stopped at Dairy Queen in Palm Springs for a little break. A teen walked in wearing booty shorts that were 5 sizes too small and a tank top that was riding up over her belly. My three year old looks at me and says "Daddy, her clothes are too small for her":lol:

Kids definatley say it like it is:beer:

18. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Some might argue that her clothes weren't small enough. 8-[

19. bharer75

bharer75 New Member

EMT/ Going into Marine Corps Fire
    Maybe now that you've posted this I can see some more courtesy on the trail. Like you I've endured the same problem my whole biking career. Not that im a ninny winny panzie without thick skin but it just gets to you sometimes. If theres one thing ive learned, the biking community is an extremely diverse community and oddly enough is very tightknit. Excluding those oddballs