Bike Snobs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by airone1, Feb 1, 2010.

1. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

paul, your bike must really suck to be that pissed off.

:lol:

2. paulbschmidt

paulbschmidt KNEEL BEFORE ZOD

Vice President of Loaded Precision Products, speci
    Home Page:
    Some may think so.

Those who know me, know what I ride and how I ride. And regardless of what I rode when I started, upgraded to or ride now, I was always happy I was out riding...and if someone would have opened their trap about my bike not being good enough, I would have fed them their lunch.

Not trying to be an ass here gang, but this kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Reminds of that childhood mentality of "if you're not wearing the cool shoes, clothes, etc, then you're not accepted" crap. I hate that.

The point is regardless of what you ride, you shouldn't get crap for it.

PBS

3. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

I hear ya, I roll on a 1999 boxxer. (not kidding either) And just the other day some dude was telling me how shittie my fork it. My response, "how did you know who I bought it from??" I would have fed him his lunch but hey, I didn't get this way by giving away food.

I hope you know I'm just funnin ..... except about my old Boxxer.<- it sucks but that's not what is slowing me down. lol

4. paulbschmidt

Home Page:
    Totally got you were funnin D....see you on the trails sometime!

Cheers

PBS

5. mantaman

mantaman New Member

Sales
    I love that you caught up to them, some people just don't get it. Everytime I get to go riding I praise God for giving me the time, money, energy, area, and resources to do this sport that I love so much. Even if you do someday "up-grade" you should still keep the hardrock and take it out every once in a while to keep you humble. Keep riding and smiling!

6. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
  7. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    I semi-bag on my brother from time to time for still riding his 96 GT in which he had the same tires on it until 2 years ago. My reasons are selfish ones - I want him to upgrade so we can make the next jump up to more challenging trails. Amazingly, the only mechanical problems he really has are flats, and he flats in the strangest ways and places too.

He more than has the means to get almost any bike he could want. But the reality of it is, he doesn't need a better bike, although he could use one no doubt. But he just doesn't need one. He rides infrequently, more so (less than?) than I even.

Despite having what I think is a major holdback for him, I've have rarely seen anyone have more fun blasting the various DH routes from the top of Mt. Wilson more than my brother.

Maybe this summer is the summer he finally pulls the trigger on a new steed, like one from the 90's perhaps.

8. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Hummm......think someone broke a funny bone.#-o

And you would respond to immature behavior with far more immature behavior called violence? You must of got picked on a lot when you were a kid. Might want to get some help on that.

So what if they bag my bike, car, cloth or anything about me. As a mature person we should just smile and move on.

Yes as a shrimpy little asian dude who didn't speak english in high school I got picked on quite a bit but now I got balls(Ti) they can lick'em(Limbiz rock).:bang:

Seriously, get over it.

9. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Dude all this time I thought Duke777 was Canadian?

10. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    I ride with a group of guys, there is EVERY level of bike in that crowd - under $500 to over $5k, AND every level of rider. We all have a great time, enjoying the trails, some HAB sections, some goater up everything, some huck away.

But we all roll, laugh and have a great time in the great outdoors!

11. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT

I like turtles........eh!:wave:

12. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Just because someone might point out that a bike from Wallmart, K-Mart or Target is unsafe, it is not nessesarily condescending. Some people actually do not understand that department store bikes are not real mountainbikes and are only made to look like a real MTBs. They are actually considered a toy by the manufacturer. Most department store bikes will actually have a warning sticker stating "Not intended for off road use"

The only reasons I might not ride with some one that has a sub par bike is because I don't want to have to stop every 20mins because of mechanicals or I don't feel like having to haul his carcass out because his bike came undone going 30mph. Not because I'm embarassed to be seen with them.

Hell, I refused to ride with a freind of mine because one time he built up a set of wheels with carbon spokes. We went over to Bonelli and he ripped out half of his spokes in his front wheel. A couple of weeks later I asked him to go to Strawberry Peak. He busted out his bike and still had the carbon spokes on the rear. I told him that unless he changes that rear wheel, he's staying home.
    Then another time a freind of mine built up a pair of 29r wheels using only 16 spokes per wheel. He said, "lets go for a ride" I told him not untill he builds up a real pair of wheels because I don't want to have to cart him out when his wheel folds on him.

13. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    I just stumbled upon this thread, and man, I do feel bad. I never intended to hurt anybody's feelings.

So I've decided I'm going to roll like this from now on.

[​IMG]

So now if you see me out there on the trails, you can't judge me by my ride. Just say hi and smile. :wave:

14. airone1

airone1 New Member

Hey Folks, O.P. here! I just want to say, "WOW" and thanks for all the comments (both positive and other) to my original post. It's been very interesting and entertaining. When I wrote that first post I was venting about a couple of knuckle heads that rubbed me the wrong way, and make no mistake about it, they were knuckle heads.
    I've been around long enough to know the difference between someone being silly or trying to strike up a conversation, and someone being cocky. There was no sound of concern in his voice about my safety. When someone makes a cocky comment towards someone, then looks towards his friend and laughs for reinforcement, that's being cocky.
    That being said, I've encountered many more good, positive people out there on the trails then knuckle heads, is just seems that the knuckle heads are easier to remember.
    A few weeks back I was riding in Chino Hills SP with a friend. While we were taking a break at the top of a climb, a solo rider approached. He was breathing hard and sweating pretty bad. He seemed embaressed, but he saw that I had a full water bottle on my bike and camelbak on my back. He told me that he had forgot his water bottle and was very thirsty. I didn't hesitate, I reached down and gave him my water bottle. He said "I'll only take a swig", but I told him he could keep the whole bottle, since I realized he still had some riding left to do.
    After my friend and I rode off, my friend said I can't believe you gave him your water bottle. My responce to that was simply that I would hope someone would do that for me if I found myself in the same position. It's not about having a "good" bike, or being a "good" rider, it's simply about being a "GOOD" person.
    "I ride bikes for one reason and one reason only, I love to ride".:)

15. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Dude, what PC bandwagon did you fall off of? He was just saying that if there was someone who didn't like his bike, he would take him out and buy him lunch. Maybe they could talk over their different perspectives over a sandwich and cup of coffee. It's that kindness and generosity that makes me proud to call myself a mountain biker.

Rob

16. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Seriously, my hardtail is based on a flat black $89 Access frame from Performance. When I'm riding it, I sometimes derive a twisted satisfaction of knowing that I have the most ghetto bike for miles around. And if someone thinks that's funny, then I'm more than glad to have them tell me as much as they pass me on the trail. :beer:

17. paulbschmidt

Home Page:
    Actually it was for Tacos.

And now you don't get any Duke.

Rusty gets your tacos.
    :bang:

18. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Damn! Are they fish tacos? Because I love fish tacos!#-o

19. intensworks

intensworks nomadismachismojis

Boring
    Coming down Skid Marks at Mammoth we met up with an Australian fellow riding a bike he had purchased at K-mart or Sears, one of those two stores if I recall. And the guy flew down without any concern for the bike he had. He joined our group and we rode all day. He was having the time of his life. Thats what its all about. :) :bang:

20. gnarboots11

gnarboots11 Member

Civil Engineer
    If you dont wanna get made fun of then you should get a new bike.