Bike Snobs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by airone1, Feb 1, 2010.

1. airone1

airone1 New Member

Hey folks, I hope you don't mind if I take a moment to vent about something that bothered me. When did riding a bike become a rich mans sport? When did it become okay to make snobby comments to someone about their $300 bike, just because you ride a $3000 bike? The answers to those questions should be: "it hasn't" and "never".
    I have two mountain bikes, ones a Ibex SS that I picked up for under 200 bucks and my other is a 15 year old Specialized Hardrock w/ front suspension that I bought new for approx. $320 dollars. Yesterday morning I headed over to Turnbull w/my Specialized to get in a few miles. As I was taking my bike off my rack some geared up rider parked behind me made a comment that pissed me off. He stated "I think it's time you up graded ". My responce was up grade what, the components, to which he replied "no the entire bike".
    I told him the bike works just fine for me and not everyone can afford a $2000 bike. His comeback, "try more like $3800", then he rode off.
    I'm a okay rider, nothing special, but it made me feel pretty damn good when I caught and passed him and his friend a little later before the top of the first climb. I should of kept mouth shut, but I couldn't bite my tongue quick enough. I stated, "see I told you my $300 bike works just fine for me". (The friend's comeback to me was simply "ASSHOLE" )
    I mean no disrepect to all of you folks with expensive bikes. The purpose of this thread isn't directed towards all you riders, but rather, towards the snobs out there that think they're better then others because of what they ride. I'm the type of rider that will stop (or at least slow down) to check on ANY OTHER RIDER that appears in need of assistance. I'll loan my tools, or give up my spare tube if needed, expecting nothing in return. But lately I see more and more riders that wouldn't even you the time of day or a smile:), much less stopping to help someone. JUST WAY TOO MUCH ATTITUDE.[-X
    Please forgive me for rambling on and on, I'll finish by saying that I would like to think that we are all out on the trails for the same reason, and that is to HAVE FUN. It dosn't (and shouldn't) matter what you ride, just as long as you ride!!!!

Thank you for your time....

2. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

sounds like a Homer to me. :)

3. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

Good for you. I would have had an extremely hard time keeping my mouth shut too. And I definitely would have said something as I passed him as well.

Just because you have a $4000 bike, doesn't mean you are a good/better rider. There is nothing more humbling than getting passed by a guy with cotton tube socks and a Huffy. 8-[

4. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    I don't have anything nice to say about that guy - and I'm sorry for you. You could probably ride circles around more than a few people with 'those' kind of bikes. I'd be glad to ride with you anytime! I'm glad to hear you get out there and ride and enjoy it and have for so long!

....and besides retro is cool!

5. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

Dont you hate it when you run into someone with a $5000 bike and $50 worth of skills?

6. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

And a nickel in tact.

7. Fritz White

Fritz White New Member

As long as it's a bike shop quality bike (they start at about $300, and your Specialized fits the bill) then there's nothing "wrong" with it. Motivs, Huffys, and Mongooses (the department store ones) just piss me off as they're generally unsafe and shouldn't be produced at all.

Snobs of all varieties piss just about everyone off, but you and we know that the rider is the most important part of the equation as it sounds like you demonstrated.

8. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

we were out at turnbull yesterday, we might have bumped into ya also. I think we said good morning tho :)

what did this rider look like?

9. davidB

davidB Active Member

On my early loop yesterday I ran into a couple snobs out there at the top of the fireroad climb. Full gear (which is more than I can say for people we saw later in the day), nice bikes, but total meanies lol.

Then later we saw a few shuttlers on bikes that easily could have climbed up.

Remember what the original douche was riding?

10. Monster Mash

Monster Mash New Member

You shouldn't even be allowed out of the trails with a cheap bike!! ;)

I agree with you 100%. It's not the bike you ride or the skills you have, it's the amount of fun you have doing it!! :)

11. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Try not to sweat it. There are Douche Bags every where. If it's not someone looking down on you for your bike, then it's your car, golf clubs or shoes. One time I was doing the Rosorito to Ensenada bike ride when a guy on an old squeeky rusty ten speed with bent rims passed me on the climb like I was standing still.

Just remember it's not the tools, it's the carpenter.

12. Rondo

Rondo Member

Captain, USMC
    [​IMG]

Not me, but he's killing it on a Huffy.

13. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

it was totally this DB wasnt it?

He's been known to smack talk ya while riding his stolen bike....

Attached Files:

14. no worries

no worries Member

My backup bike is a '97 Giant ATX 870. I had to ride it again for nearly a month in Dec/Jan and I got an completely different vibe off other riders, whether passing on the climb, chilling at the top of Whiting, or getting passed on the downhill. My regular bike isn't boutique, but it's current, I guess. But nothing as straightforward as what you experienced. Just less knowing nods and conversations struck.

However, I've gotten several comments on my Forte' shoes. Yeah they were bargains at Performance and as a new rider last year I didn't really research shoe companies. But I haven't replaced them because they work just fine and cause me no discomfort. But I've felt like maybe I should replace them, 'cause of the brand on the side. Isn't that sorta ridiculous?

15. davidB

davidB Active Member

Anywhoooooo^^^ , some of the fastest riders do it on older/cheaper bikes. always cool to see that. Ride what you've got, ride it as fast as you can, and don't worry about who's got what.

speaking of cool, we saw tinker juarez coming up 7th yesterday

16. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    I've given the "time you to upgrade" comment here and there, mainly when conversing with fellow newbies at Peters Canyon on bikes I believe unsafe. Still, I think everyone has a right to ride whatever they feel comfortable on. If they have the money to spend on the bike, then good for them. I know I spend a good chunk of money on my bikes. Bottom line: There has always been snobs, and anti-snobs, both of which annoy me. (Anti-snob = "Hey look at me, I'm passing your 250lbs ass on a nice bike with my $100 walmart bike. I must be THAT much better than you.")

On a side note, biking is an expensive sport if you want it to be. Being annoyed that it's a rich man's sport suggests it should be a poor man's sport. It is both. I don't make apologies for the $$ I spend on biking, but nor do I look down on anyone who decides not to spend the coin.

17. Fritz White

Fritz White New Member

I don't think that one came from Walmart or a department store, which are the bikes I'm referring too.

18. moka

moka Moka Was Here!

Do not worry about it, i don't like snobs like those people too, do you remember what bikes they were riding? my second time riding turnbull i encountered something similar.

I don't care what someone is riding. If you like the bike and enjoy riding it then have fun, i have meet many people that ride bikes twice as expensive as mine and bikes not even half of what mine cost. I hate judging someone because of what they are riding, maybe because i am in this hobby to have fun and not to show off.

Want to ride turnbull someday? PM me... :)

19. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride.

I was on a road ride last week pretty much at the top end of my cruising speed and a guy on a townie with wicker basket, pulling a trailer, passed me.

20. W4S

W4S New Member

Not saying that a huffy cant survive a drop but that's not a huffy, it's a Turner RFX.

To the OP, do you really care what somebody says about your bike, seriously? I mean, two hundred thousand people died in Haiti 2 weeks ago, 15% of Americans can't find a job and I haven't been plaid in almost forever and you're really posting about somebody dissing your BIKE?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010