Bike Shop People Vs the rest of Us

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Rockinthecasbah, Dec 12, 2007.

1. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I would like to learn a little more. I'm an auto mech so you would think bikes are easy, but!!!! I really need the proper tools.

2. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    Props to all of you builders out there. I am embarrased to say it but I take my bike to shop for anything and everything. SOme of it is my own fear...I mean that's an expensive bike to be screwing with and some of it is just laziness.

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    There are a couple of specialized tools and don't own and wheel builds I don't do so I rely on The Path for that. Everything else I do, very usefull on road trips keeping the bike going and trailside repairs.
    :steppie:

4. allroy71

allroy71 Member

touching people
    Home Page:
    I do what I can on my bikes. I think the most important thing is to be able to repair your bike on the trail. Anything can happen and I don't want to walk home!!
    So I think most people should learn how to at least change a flat and have the tools to do it.

5. .8down

.8down Active Member

I also carry a chain tool, some link bullets and some spare links...:) Ive been saved by many great mt bikers but no point in counting on that...

6. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I do all my own work on my bikes and my friends bikes. I face the bb and the head set press all the bearings and do any custom work needed. I have my friends build my wheels I can do it but I like to stick with the best. Gabe at adrenaline is great. He built my rear wheel on my EVO the night before a ride . My friend Steve or Ted can build a great wheel also.

I heard someone say RC ha ha I still have a garage full.
    I used to work at Yorba Linda RC speedway way back in the day I started at the og RCH in a dirt field. The owner lived right behind me so I got to have one of the first Tamiya rough riders. that was fun at the time I still have up to date stuff only because I was working at ultimate hobbies on the side. My friend owns it. Lets just say about 1 year ago I had over 30 helicopters. Ranging from 30-90+ scale with weed whacker motors. It was out of control. I still have RC motorcycles and trucks and helicopters just not as out of control.
    I really need to have a garage sale. I still have 2 motorcycles for sale maybe 3 and some music equipment PA system bass amp and cabs etc....
    Maybe I just need to have a BBQ after a morning ride and have everyone hang out. I don't like listing things. It's a hassle.

7. fortytwo

fortytwo Don't Panic!

Business Manager
    I've been wrenching my own bikes, and my freinds', my whole life and I enjoy it almost as much as riding. My dad taught me and my grandfather taught him. Gramps owned a bike shop in Laguna Beach in the 40s and 50s. He would roll over in his grave if I let someone else work on my bike. The only thing I've never done is rebuild a fork. I probably spend as much on tools as I do replacement parts.

How about these for specialty tools?

Brake Mount Facing Tool
    DT Swiss Hub Toolset
    Headset Press
    Crown Race Remover

8. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

Why we're on the subject does anyone know a good site on wheel building or anywhere where they teach it I need to learn about dishing

9. GP_pilot

GP_pilot Epic Builder

Cars, Motorcycles, Bikes, Home

Perform 95% of all my own maintenance. Self taught myself starting in college when you can't afford much. Then once you're into racing, you have no choice but to learn yourself or have a very good mechanic friend. Fix & reuse what you got including repairing/spraying bodywork, fork overhauls, and engine rebuilds. I also know when something is on the out and can do something about it. I don't do struts, complex electrical troubleshooting, or wheel builds. Everything else is fair game...at least once. After that, I have an appreciation for the amount of work required vs. my time & money.

10. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

I spent almost seven years working in a bike shop, so I don't know everything, but I did learn quite a bit while I was there.
    I do almost all my own work including wheel builds. I don't own a headset press so I take my frame and headset in to get that done.

I changed oil and seals on dirt bikes back in the day; I'll delve into my fork pretty soon and change the oil for the first time in...I'd rather not say.

11. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

Incredibly simple things I do myself, but "incredibly simple" is also incredibly subjective. I would be more motivated to do my own work if the tools were not so task and even component specific. However, every time I go to a LBS where the employees are pretentious jackasses I vow to do all my own work, then I need a tool that costs $100 that I'll use once and I go back, LOL!

12. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Do everything but facing and wheels.
    I've redone fork seals, but would pay someone to do it next time.

13. fortytwo

fortytwo Don't Panic!

Business Manager
  14. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    +1 on the Steppie Method.
    If it's a choice between buying an obscure $30 tool that I'll use once, or paying a shop to do the job for $40, I'll go to the shop. Same with wheel building, though I'll sometimes do crude truing. I've built my last two bikes from scratch, partly to save $$ and partly for the experience. Now I'd probably save the time and have someone else build it, but I'm glad I know how to do most of it myself.

15. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    I'd buy the $30 tool and maybe buy my LBS a six pack of beer.

16. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    With the exception of wheels and forks, I do my own maintenance on my bikes, cars and even airplanes. ;)

17. dutch

dutch New Member

Jax Bicycle Center Irvine, client advisor
    I can do most everything (slowly) inc. building wheels, facing and chasing BB, adjusting this and that, and bleeding my brakes. Never done a fork rebuild, and I always do the work at the shop that I work at. I don't own my own tools, but if I could afford a set and the space to work on my bikes I would definitely do most of my own work.

18. OffRoadie

OffRoadie Roadie in Exile

Electrical Engineer
    I do most of my own work. Partially because I'm cheap, and partially because I don't like having to wait a few days while my bike is in the shop. I buy the special tools when I need to do a particular job. I found that most things can be done with a good multi-tool though. The only things I don't see myself doing are wheel builds, headset install/removal, and facing stuff.

19. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    Does Valentino work on his bike?

I would imagine no. I kind of figure I am the pilot and the mechanics are just support. I can't be bothered with the muck and dirt. And it's just servile.

Nah, really I just suck at it for some reason. I get more hurt working on my bike than actually riding it. Recently, economics has driven me to take more to wrenching on my own. I would rather spend the money I save on my family instead of being a work-shy tit.

Ah, but if you ride for a good shop team you don't have to worry about this!

Oh, the 6 pack is mandatory for the LBS (better switch to 12er to move up the stack faster!).

20. silverspot

silverspot Go that way...

I do all my own wrenching now. I used to have my old LBS (Matt at IE Bikes) do it for me, but then I moved out of the area and into the OC so I just started doing everything myself - FD/RD adjustments, running new cables, bleeding brakes, truing wheels (I haven't built up a set quite yet), installed a chain guide which meant I had to adjust my BB accordingly, removed & installed headsets, crown races, changed cassettes and chain rings, and I did do a re-build on a fork once. The last time I needed fork maintenance I brought it to a local guy (GarageWorks) because I didn't want to screw something up before my trip to Whistler. I've changed the bushings on my rear tri and switched out and back the entire rear triangle myself once as well.

I've done just about everything there is to do. I don't have all the tools for everything (what I don't have I borrow from a buddy) but I do have enough to get me by.

There's nothing better than spending some quality time wrenching on my bike.