"Bike Repair" Android App

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by MojoCP, Aug 11, 2011.

1. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    I found a really neat program a few weeks ago and I thought I'd share it. It's called "Bike Repair." I'm not sure if they released it for the iPhone, but it's available in the Android Market.

I was a bit skeptical and only downloaded it because it was on a one-day free sale through Amazon (you should get the Amazon app store, if you have not already, just for the free-paid-app-of-the-day feature). Anyhow - the other day I actually opened it up and started tooling around in there and found it to be excellent. It was much more in-depth than I thought it would be; not just "how to change a tire" newbie stuff.

It's laid out in a branching, "choose your problem" then "sub-problem" layout, before ultimately placing you promptly at a helpful, step-by-step how-to guide, complete with pictures and everything.

I used it to perform a few bike maintenance tasks and drivetrain adjustments that I normally leave for my LBS. I also like it because I always bike with my phone, and I feel like with just a simple multi-tool, I'd be able to give a complicated trail repair emergency a pretty decent crack before throwing in the towel and hiking out.

Anyhow, here is the link for the app in the web-based Android Market (you can click "install" and it will automatically get installed on your phone... pretty neat). Or just search it on your phone.

[​IMG] Bike Repair App

I know this sounds like a plug, but I'm just really happy with this thing. If you're practically a shop mechanic, this app wont give you any new information. But if you're relatively inexperienced or even of middling experience like me, check it out.

2. Racer X

Racer X Member

:wave:

3. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    Because the storage and encryption of your personal info is superior at Apple over Google? Unlikely.

The payment information privacy policies are the same for both of these megacorporations. Incidentally, you can also just buy it through Amazon with your account there, and even use paypal.

But in all seriousness - no need to buy it twice.

4. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

How much is this app? Sounds lik it would be useful

5. TranceRider

TranceRider No, I don't Ride a GIANT

IT Project Manager
    $3.99 for the iPhone - just got it! :bang:

6. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    $3 for droid

7. Racer X

Racer X Member

I don't believe I mentioned one is any better than the other.

8. Kimbilly

Kimbilly New Member

Home Page:
    Wish they would make it MTB-specific! Maintainance on mech/hydraulic brakes would be nice. Stuff like that... otherwise its worth what I paid for! Free.99