big bear 2009

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by hockeypl89, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

big bear is a mess of conflicting people yelling at each other of conflicting things, and nobody is willing to listen to any of the others about it and solve anything. it's sad really.

that said, if they keep the $20 day passes, I'll still be there most weekends at my cabin riding. not world class riding, but I can at least sit on a lift to get to the top, and get 10+ runs in during the course of a day.

if not, well that sucks. I'll still go up there and XC at least, and maybe do some (quite legal) shuttling.

I also really hope that lil_missy gets someplace with her gravity park campaign. It's so great that she's trying so hard for something that seems so impossible these days...

2. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    I really think that they have just not updated their website? I don't know. At the end of last summer, there was a big stink over people obviously doing DH runs with <gasp> modified DH bikes! The nerve! Single crown forks with 7 or 8 inches of travel!

My goodness, I hope they ruled out terrorism!

I just stay away, Obviously Big Bear does not need my DH money. They are doing just fine! There are many more options. Search and destroy!

3. yetifan80

yetifan80 Can I Stop the Addiction?

quick question...i have an older bike that weighs more than 35 lbs but the travel is 6 inches. does this mean i'm not allowed there?

4. Von-Diggity

Von-Diggity Moderator

unoccupied
    Home Page:
    Just remember, if you ride illegal trails, then the Terrorists have won!

5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I sure hope we are not going to have another year of speculating what BB is doing or going to do. It will be the same as it has been for the last few years and that is inconsistent in enforcing their rules. Me...I like it up there wether I have to climb up or take the lift. Great for getting out of the basins heat and smog during the summer.

Dean

6. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Gah, it wasnt a rumor, it is indeed One run per day ont eh lift. Its not the riding of illeagal trails, its the Mtn resort operators making money off land that isnt leased to them by providing access.

I am curious which trails up there are"Illeagal", last time I checked the trails up there are on Forestry land, its leagal to ride them, there is just issues with BB and the forestry department.

I am sorry, but we are not going to have a gravity park at BB again...Its a lsot cause, its time to move on. The owners have been extremly clear about this, We can hoot and holler all we want, but when the entire summer of providing for DH service is put to shame by one day of skiing during the Ski/snowboard season.

If we really want a gravity park in Socal...... We ned to go hit up the guys at Baldy, they are already letting Big bike son the hill, they just need some persuation to start building/allowing building of trails for riding on.

Here is the picture of the sign that was up at SS last year for anyone who is unclear of what will be happening this year.

[​IMG]

FOr the record, its not the riding of "Illeagal" trails that caused this, its the breaking of the rules that has caused this. The guys running the lifts that were letting people break the rules are just as much to blame as anyone else.

7. katonk

katonk .

My understanding is that this was a reaction to complaints of trespassing on the Marine recreation area.

We all need to stay out of the Marine recreation area.

8. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Trail Map

IMHO, it was a "scare tactic" and I think it worked!!! :lol:

Here's the trail map for those of you who are not familiar with it.

[​IMG]

9. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

One of many great STR memories....

[​IMG]

10. slabHB

slabHB New Member

java developer
    Home Page:
    Anyone know if MtHigh does anything with mountain biking? I know its not as big as BigBear but its close! didnt see anything on their website so im asuming they dont but thought id ask

11. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

To bad they arent marked so you dont know which trail on the left is the right trail:lol:

12. Happy_Gilmore

Happy_Gilmore Blood Donor - Give Life

From what I heard the Marine Base had been the single biggest complaint source in the latter part of the 2008 season, this was also true for the 2007 season.

As for 2009 time will tell, all else is speculation

13. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    So $10.00 every time you go up the hill. That can be very expensive. I will go to Mammoth or Tahoe instead.

14. lil__missy

lil__missy Fighting "The Man"

Animal Lover
    Let me straighten out a few questions...

Last day of winter sports is April 12th. It can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks till it opens as the scenic sky chair.

Not necessarily true. The owner has considered it, but has not made up his mind. It was meant to be more of a scare tactic.

This is true. Part of my proposal is showing them how they can build it better than before to the standards of Northstart, mammoth and whistler.

15. lil__missy

Animal Lover
    That is very true AND what happened in BB. The way things were before they did not make enough to make it worth the risk. That's why things CAN come back to BB because it can be done different now.

16. lil__missy

Animal Lover
    You might be able to slide, but would bring a backup if possible just in case.

17. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
    I think the best bet would be to knock on Mt. Waterman's door for lift accessed riding. It has new Owners that are strapped for cash and little snowmaking for winter operations. DH could be a viable source of income for them.

Baldy will let ANY bike on the hill, but the terrain there is far too steep and loose to put together any decent trails.

18. bobzrag

bobzrag bonedaddy

went last year a couple times with my 37 lb beast & bash guard and I was good - we took weekdays off and went - there was almost no one there but us! Pretty good riding & $20 all you can eat!

19. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Waterman lost their Forest Service permits. Doubt they will be maintaining the lifts.

Dean

20. Lone ranger

Lone ranger Guest

I read recently that the guys who ow the ski lift nex to Mtn High were checking into insurance so they can open during summer for mtn. bikes .Maybe thats the alternative to Big Bear. I to miss the days of summer seasons passes . Why is it just lift riders and not the local downhillers making new trails . 210 will be like the 91 fwy with no lift.