Beware tickets

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Aug 2, 2009.

1. XS NOIZ

XS NOIZ New Member

Commercial Property Manager
    In all fairness though, you'd be singing a totally different tune if you were driving the car that hit a roadie who had blown thru a red light...especially if they pressed charges.

I drive a lifted truck and get harassed for my tires sticking out past the fenders, my exhaust being loud (though it is legal), etc. At the end of the day, you have to remember that they are people with a job to do. There is only a limited number of resources (roads, trails, etc) and we have to do the best with what we have.

2. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Hmm... can't remember giving a thumbprint for my license.... My name is Barack Obama and I'm homeless.

3. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

its electronic and they have been doing it for at least 18 years.

4. Lambda_drive

Lambda_drive Member

You could always burn your thumb print off, but it might look suspicious to an officer if your thumbprint is just a big black oval.

5. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    I had my prints "erased" during pole vaulting season and a couple of times had to do the print thing.

The sheriffs were none too happy to see I had no prints, and they weren't buying my pole vaulting story either.

Was going to be a long evening of interviews until the Watch Commander came in and recognized me as one of his son's teammates and cut me loose with a warning to behave.

Eff with your prints at your own peril.

Smart move is to properly ID yourself & pay the ticket.

Consider it an additional tax on your fun or part of the cover charge for being lazy.

6. Kevin949

Kevin949 Member

I got a ticket in Irvine for failure to stop at a stop sign ( I also did a trackstand ) and having my ipod ear buds in both ears . $279 and 1 point on my driving record

7. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Erased or lightened? It is very hard to erase you fingerprint as it many layers deep. I forget the number of layers but you would have been in serious pain had you worn enough layers off to have erased you finger prints. You can soften the ridges of your prints making it harder to get a print, and if they dont treat fingers correctly it will seem almost non existent but they are there just hard er to see. This is common for masons, dishwashers and cleaning people(who dont wear gloves). the ridges will also soften with age typically but we are talking about when your in you 70s plus. I know that rock climbing also had a similar effect so I imagine pole vaulting would have done the same thing.

8. cid`

cid` booger flicker

everywhere is cracking down on tickets period.. just cause they want to generate revenue.. at work, victorville/hesperia, TONS of cops now.. hit you for everything you got cause they are hurting for money bad..

9. Kritter

Kritter Member

Suspension Design Engineer
    Home Page:
    I would be singing the same tune. If I hit a cyclist on accident it would be becuase they did something really stupid/unsafe that I couldnt react for peloton/riding abreast and swerving into traffic comes to mind...blatant red light in said peloton also comes to mind. I never put myself into a situation where I would get hit by a car on my bike and if I did it would be MY fault. The day I get hit on my bike it will not be because I roll stop signs or start early from red lights or do track stands at stops...it will be the driver's fault for driving carelessly. If I break the law on my bike I do it 100% safety first. If I did it safe or unsafe and got hit...it would be my fault, no charges pressed.

Your tires that stickout out kick up rocks, exhaust that is loud is annoying regardless what the max db listed by law etc...that should be more of a ticket/harassment than any bike rolling a stop sign. PS I am in the offroad industry...your lifted truck pays my salary but I believe what I believe.

10. Patrick

Patrick Member

Real Estate Expert
    Cop golf carts...FYI I ride from my home in SJC, through San Clemente, down to Pendleton quite often and there are now (at least on weekends) mall cops in golf carts hiding at the stop signs and issuing tickets. Through the neighborhood in San Clemente is where they hide. I see where they are coming from, the "rules" should apply to all, it's just comedy seeing the carts lined up hiding...

11. tougerenner

tougerenner New Member

I have had my windshield cracked twice now by a truck that threw a rock with its big mud tires that stick out past the fenders to the cost of my own dime.
    [​IMG]
    ^ :unamused:

Technically any exhaust modification resulting more than 95db in exhaust noise to a vehicle in the state of California is Illegal which is not hard to do by the way. You may claim it is CARB approved but all that means it that it does not increase the emissions that it puts out, but it is still subject to noise requirements. If you disagree take it up with the DMV, but here is a reference for you.
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27150.htm
    Also local law can dictate stricter exhaust noise requirements. Do what you want to your vehicle just remember you have to pay to play, so don't cry when you get popped for exhaust and or sent to the ref station.

12. Kritter

Kritter Member

Suspension Design Engineer
    Home Page:
    I didnt read the dmv sites but 95 db's is LOUD. My CRF450 when I was racing was 96db's at 18" at 4500RPM...think about that. Decibels are also a logarithmic scale...not a linear scale. I think any vehicle driving on a tax payer road should have to be under 85db at WOT from 20 feet...includes harleys and street bikes.

13. tougerenner

tougerenner New Member

Correct the decibel scale is logarithmic. Here is an interesting example. The OEM factory exhaust system on the Porsche GT3 fails the sound requirement at Laguna Seca race track in Monterrey. The sound restriction at Laguna is 92db which is 3 lower than the streets, the stock GT3 with the sport button off puts out 98.4db but with it on its 91.9db. What I wonder is how is it legal to sell this car if it outputs over 95db from the factory?

Its funny people who take there cars to that track clamp on 90 degree elbows on the end of the exhaust pipes and point them away from the measuring station on the track to fool the db meter.

Sounds like I need to save my pennys to start breaking the law legally:lol:.

14. autoduel

autoduel sandbagger

Architecture
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c5a2_5.htm

27200. (a) The Department of Motor Vehicles shall not register on a dealer's report of sale a new motor vehicle, except an off-highway motor vehicle subject to identification as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000), which produces a maximum noise exceeding the applicable noise limit at a distance of 50 feet from the centerline of travel under test procedures established by the Department of the California Highway Patrol.

Limits for Vehicles under 6000 GVWR

27206. For the purposes of Section 27200, the following noise limits shall apply to any other motor vehicle, not specified in this article, manufactured:

(1) After 1967, and before 1973 86 dbA
    (2) After 1972, and before 1975 84 dbA
    (3) After 1974 80 dbA

Limits for Vehicles Exceeding 5,999 Pounds Gross Vehicle Weight

27204. For the purposes of Section 27200, the following noise limits shall apply to any motor vehicle within the specified manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating and date of manufacture:

GVWR-Pounds Date of Manufacture Noise Limit -dbA
    Over 6,000 after 1967 and before 1973 88 dbA
    Over 6,000 after 1972 and before 1975 86 dbA
    Over 6,000 after 1974 and before 1978 83 dbA
    Over 8,500 after 1977 and before 1982 83 dbA
    Over 6,000 but not over 8,500 after 1977 80 dbA
    Over 8,500 but not over 10,000 after 1981 80 dbA
    Over 10,000 after 1981 and before 1988 83 dbA
    Over 10,000 after 1987 80 dbA

15. XS NOIZ

XS NOIZ New Member

i too come from the automotive aftermarket...so the rules of tires sticking out past the fenders and exhaust noise aren't anything new to me. i read a very interesting article not too long ago stating that the problem isn't that the tire sticks out past the fender...it's actually that there is so much more of the tire exposed (the width of the tire and the vertical measurement of how much of that tire isn't actually up in the fender like it was from the factory).

For example, a lowered car with the majority of the tire inside of the fender has very little of the actual tire unprotected and in theory could have tires sticking out too (with very little occurance of rock chips to the cars behind it). If you think about it...a rock isn't going to be thrown from T.D.C on the tire...its going to be thrown from between 4-6oclock (if you were looking at the tire sideways and it was rolling counter-clockwise)

Hopefully that made sense...if not, i could always sketch a quick ms paint file to help explain my point if need be. In the end, there isn't a snow-balls chance in hell that i'm going to change it. Cops have a job to do and depending on what time of the month it is for that particular officer, will dictate how i'm treated in the end.

I do agree that cops have better things to do that harass bikers and car enthusiasts. Not everyone with a decently fast import street races and not everyone who drives a lifted truck is a hoodlum. If you don't like my oversized tires, go around me. Chances are i'm cruising 60-65 in one of the slower lanes to maximize my options in the event i need to stop or something goes down i need to react to.

/end of rant

16. XS NOIZ

XS NOIZ New Member

->Remember there is alot more to testing for sound compliance than just pushing the test button. Having driven a 911 GT3 RS with the exhaust bypass option, i can say that its an awesome. Testing happens twice...first is idle. This is taken at a 45 degree angle to the exit of the muffler. Then the car is revved to something like 2k rpm's and the stats are taken again. The important thing to remember is that the government doesn't have the means to test a car under load (because of differing drive train platforms (2wd/4wd), so it actually helps the auto enthusiast out. The porsche's high numbers for the un-baffled exhaust are taken under load and thus much higher than would otherwise be allowed.

17. Fewinhibitions

Completely smoothed out, big flat ovals on the card with a 1 or 2 lines on the outside edge as if I had taken 400 grit to them.

Happened a few times during the season when my hands would slip during a vault. Was painful at first, like slipping down a bannister in shorts and suddenly gripping skin.

It would also make a nice squeal sound as well.

18. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Were they trying to take them with ink or electronically? Even if you were able to smooth them out to remove the entire upper layers of skin you would still have more then a flat oval. I am not saying that it happened but it sounds more like a lot of user error and very light ridges were the cause.

FYI I work on electronic fingerprint systems for a living.

19. korunner

korunner Member

"Another got a ticket in Ranch Cucamonga, he said he did run it and got caught. Ticket is over 300 bucks!"

If you plan on just paying it, you can ask to see a judge and he will usually lower the fine. I know the judge in Rancho Court cuts most fines about in half.

20. Fewinhibitions

Ink at that time, we're talking a long time ago.

But I had an electronic one taken with almost no prints detected after sliding down a rope while climbing in Joshua Tree last year. I got pulled over and misplaced my wallet.

The cops looked surprised but didn't really care as they verified my ID with the additional info I gave them on the spot. After checking me for wants/warrants hey eventually just let me go.

I rarely put myself into situations where there might law enforcement interaction if at all possible...unless I know for certain I can be on the "correct" side of the situation should it matter.

With 8 members of my family working in law enforcement from muni to fed, I know it is rare that a situation is a positive one when it comes to law enforcement having to be involved.