Best way to wash/clean your bike

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Seat Sniffer, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elisheva

Elisheva New Member

counterterrorism
    Use soft brush for the stick on dirt.

simple green when necessary.

never hose down my bike.

baby wipes work great for a quick wipe down after a ride.

2. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

There is really no need to use Simple Green to clean a bike, and never ever use water, especially from a hose. Simple Green is a degreaser, and it's very easy for it (and water too) to seep into pivots, headsets, BBs, hubs, etc. I've seen plenty of parts ruined this way. Usually I just brush/wipe off excess dirt, then use Windex and a rag since it evaporates quickly and won't dissolve grease or lube. I don't really see a need to degrease drivetrain parts either. I use a cog brush for the cassette and rings, and maybe a little WD40 on a rag to clean the chain (or a toothbrush if needed), then re-lube.

3. NO GO

NO GO Expert Beginner

Ditch Digger
    To clarify, I only use the simple green or Windex (forgot about that) on a rag then wipe the frame down.
    Clean the chain and cassette with a brush. Then take them off and clean both in gas. I was shocked at how much dirt and crap came off. Keep in mind I only do this occasionally. Normality is a brush and compressor.

4. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    I ride really fast to air clean my bikes. I don't clean them because I don't want any bearings getting contaminated with water. I've got 1500+ miles on the same bottom bracket, so I'm sticking with this method. All I do is wipe them down every once in a while. If I go on a muddy ride, I take the entire drivetrain off the bike, and soak it in a bucket of simple green.

5. el cap

el cap Active Member

A friend of mine purchased a cheap cleaning brush at Ross and it works well for cleaning those tough spots near the BB, FD and RD.

6. BobBurnes

BobBurnes Silverback Racing CEO

USAF Combat Search and Rescue
    Home Page:
    To clean my bikes, I use a brand of bike cleaner called "Muc-Off". It's available on Amazon.com and, unlike SimpleGreen, won't harm your paint or discolor any of your components. It also doesn't leave a sticky or slippery film.

You can get it in the kit (sponge, cleaner, water remover, and chain cleaner with three brushes) or you can purchase each of the items on their own.

Step 1: Using a hose on mist, water the bike down
    Step 2: I spray the Muc-Off all over the bike, especially in the spots on the frame that love to collect dirt or mud.
    Step 3: Give it about 60 seconds the mist the bike off again. For the stubborn dirty areas, use a brush.
    Step 4: Towel dry off, using a water remover to displace water in allen (hex) bolt faces. Careful with the brakes and pivoting joints of full suspension bike.
    Step 5: For the OCD people in the house like me, I use Mother's Gold wax or spray on wax on the frame.

Step 6: Go back out and get 'er dirty.

7. kevinator

kevinator Staying hydrated

LOL, do you toss them when you're done with them? :clap:

Clean rag w/Simple Green and an old toothbrush for chain/gears. If there's chunks then garden hose (low pressure) keeping away from BB and hubs.
    Drivetrain gets wiped and lubed after every ride, frames cleaned about every other time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.