best "type" of XC bike...

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by FoShizzle, Nov 9, 2008.

1. phillae

phillae New Member

You can Bling out a 575 and get it around 26 pounds - mine is 30 lbs now, but i switch wheels/fork (lose the 20mm through axle) for xc races and drop to about 27lbs Flip on the propedal and it climbs like a beast... Best of both worlds IMHO...

2. SSinGA

SSinGA Free-XC-Downhiller

short-bus driver

I think you need a Niner because Squeaky is getting 2....so it must be cool :lol:

3. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Exactly. That's why the Fontana race was a decent experiment. Same course. Same ride. Timed. Only problem is that the races were at least 2 weekends apart.

I think a lot of the whole 29er vs. 26er argument is mind over matter. What's the old saying..."It's not the bike...it's the rider"?

4. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    good advice!

i am going to search for good deals on Terremoto and Comandantes for sure...thanks for the tip!

CVA is CVGhey

5. Dan White

Dan White Member

XC Races are won on the climbs!

Yes, I agree that most XC races are won on the climbs but I've also won and lost races on the decents. Definately depends on the race course.
    Personally I would recommend the following: 1) light wheels w/fast rolling tires, 2) Good fork w/100mm travel, 3) hardtail, softail or under 4" travel full suspension (depends on the course, smoother courses always favor lighter/stiffer bikes), 4) Make sure you have no brake drag or tight bearings (cranks, wheels, etc.).
    Regarding suspension: I'm done running 60 to 80mm travel forks. They're okay early in the race but you start paying the price later in the race.
    26" versus 29"? There's a weight penalty w/a 29er but minimal if you run light wheels & tires.
    Check out Joe Friel's books on training! A good pro could win an expert race on a 30 lb. bike.

6. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    thanks to all for comments, even though i didn't get feedback from the most inspiring racers around these parts

ordred my bike today...well, most of it anyway (all but fork and wheels ordered). Went with a lightweight (3.5 lb frame) 29er hardtail as that makes the most sense for me. Got an OUTSTANDING price on it all!!! Though I wont believe it till it arrives and I see for myself, got a 2009 XTR group for less than half of what I would have paid at any other shop...ridiculous!

On One Scandal cuz I love my current SS On One Inbred 29er more than any other hardtail (or softtail) I have owned so I know the geo is dialed in for my liking.