best "type" of XC bike...

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by FoShizzle, Nov 9, 2008.

1. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    I kinda agree and I don't. It really depends on the type of trail. The head angle is way too steep, and Adam Craig actually prefers the 09 over the older ones, one of the things they changed was to go to a 71 degree head angle instead of a 72. Also increased the travel to 100mm I believe.

Mine is super fast on climbs, but sketchy on steeps. Not very fun to ride. It is definitely a race bike.

2. Upsidedown1

Upsidedown1 Peddler

Service Mgr in a POS company
    Zippy said it all, climbing wins races. However if you are wanting a FS bike the new Cannondale Scalpel Team comes in at 21.5 lbs and so does the Specialized Epic S-Works version. If you change the wheels on the Scalpel to NoTubes 7000's and run light weight tires you can drop the weight of the Scalpel down to around 20lbs.

3. bikeadict

bikeadict bikeaholic

Aerospace Engineer
    My vote goes to a softtail 29er. See Salsa Dos Niner. For me its the best of both worlds.

4. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    If you're racing for less than 6 hours, you don't need a full-squish. Once you get into 8-hour races and hundies, then a full-squish can save you energy by saving you upper-body fatigue.

That being said, Dez won the Sept. Hurkey 24 Solo on a hardtail. :?:

I have a 29'er. The extra effort on twisty single track when stopping and accelerating is noticeable. It takes more force to climb with the added weight and to accelerate the heavier wheels up to speed. The farther a mass gets from it's rotational axis, the harder it is to set it rotating. Then consider that your linear speed is related to the rotational speed of your wheels and the 29'er debate is over.

It's just physics.

5. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    excuse me...who asked for logic? :)

exactly the challenge i suppose...more proof that there is no "one" bike i guess

thanks Hugh...will do. have a vacation for 2 weeks come this weekend but will try to connect prior

6. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

You'll have to time me on a 29er vs. 26er on a climb because I swear I'm faster on a 29er.

And, I'm definitely faster on my 29er vs. my 26er FS (Yeti 575) because the 29er is lighter by 5 lbs.

I'm not at all going to argue the finer parts of physics (b/c I don't know how) BUT if a 29er wheel is lighter than a 26er wheel, does the argument start to weaken?

Personally, at the race this past weekend, I got stuck behind a whole lotta dudes on 26ers who couldn't make it up Bridges, especially on the switchbacks. I, on my 29er, did just fine and cleaned all the switchbacks on my first lap. Now, does that mean that I'm stronger than they are? Or do I have more greater switchback skills? How do we explain that one?

I used this past spring's Fontucky XC races to gauge my improvement b/c it's the same course. My first race (on a 26er) I rode a 1:48. By the 2nd to last race (on a 29er) I rode around a 1:30. Do I attribute that solely to getting stronger on my own? I made it up some parts of the course that I had to HAB in the first couple races.

7. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    I've all sorts of 26" and 29" race bikes.
    I like the 29"much better but I am morbidly obese so maybe the 26" cannot support me anymore.:lol:

I use:
    Salsa Mamasita 29er- Rigid w/carbon fork and blinged out at 22 lbs
    Retrotec Single Speed 29er- Rigid Steel -25 lbs
    Intense Spider 29er- Full Squish, fully blinged out- 26 lbs

My fastest lap on the upcoming Temecula course was on the Spider, hhhmmmmm.

XC racing only, the Salsa.
    Endurance racing, the Spider.
    All mountain and everyday, the Retrotec...I did race the Retrotec at the 24 hours of Moab and sadly none of my sub 170lb teammates with gears and squish could beat my times...hhhhmmmm...

Just ride what you like and can afford, period!

8. Aquaholic

Aquaholic YAY..PleasantVille!

Blog?

Fo:

That is so cool that you are going to be a racer.

Will you be starting a Blog?

9. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    I thought 29 was your waist size :?: Wow all this time I thought you were talking about your waist size.

ANyways man I moooooorrrrrreeeeee fatteeeeeeerrrr (remember those infomercials with Tommy Vu, he used to say, you have girls? I have moooreee girls, you have boat? I have bigger boat) anyways sorry my ADD is really kicking. I am fatter than 1x1Clyde and I must say the Epic is da bomb.

10. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

It also comes in at $6500

Both of your situations lack what's called a CONTROL in the scientific method.

11. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

I know what a control is, smartie-pants ;)

So, how are you going to propose we scientifically test it?

12. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    that is the plan, but not the short-term plan. i feel that a blog is not a blog without nutritional advice for which i am currently taking classes at the local junior college

13. gassertrucks

gassertrucks New Member

Beer POS manager
    It's hard to beat a light hardtail especially considering cost. Even If I was in the position to spend 5k +on a bike, I would still opt for a HT. Lighter, better acceleration, climbs better, easier maintenance, less expensive, better feel.

And for a person just getting into racing, training / racing a hardtail will teach you how to use your body for control, balance, absorbing obtacles etc. instead of relying on suspension to do it for you, thus making you a better and more effecient rider.

2 years ago, when I went from racing an Epic FS to a HT, I decided to time myself on a 1 hr. climb to compare the two bikes. On my first run with the hardtail, I shaved an astounding 9 min. off the best time set with the Epic.

Look at what most of the pros are running. Most of the time you are going to see them on ultra light 26" hardtails.

14. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    i just want to look kewl

though i believe i found what i want...when my wife goes to work and can't possibly see what i am up to i may order it, having it shipped to my work address of course.

15. The Squeaky Wheel

The Squeaky Wheel New Member

I recommend you race your BMX bike.

First, it is far lighter than any of the currently available 26 or 29" bikes. More importantly, you will be admired by the 14 year olds.

16. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    I've done the VQ route on a BMX, but that is why I ride squish these days. Just for fun I will throw out the plug for the VF2
    [​IMG]

17. vandyketom

vandyketom New Member

S Works Epic!

I am clyde and thatbike made me feel like Dave Wiens!

18. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    actually, my 29er SS is lighter than my BMX bike. And for the record, its 12 years olds mostly....14 years olds have outgrown BMX by that time

chur

19. The Squeaky Wheel

The Squeaky Wheel New Member

Seriously though....

Ventana El Commandante is the perfect XC bike.

Terremoto excels at Super-D.

You should consider buying these

20. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    Same course, same rider and time both trials. The problem is how to account for rider fatigue.

You'e right that larger wheels roll over obstacles better due to a lesser angle of attack. Also, if you roll two wheels of the same mass with different diameters down a ramp, the one with the larger diameter will roll faster.

However, it still takes more energy to accelerate a larger diameter wheel, if the masses are the same. Same thing for handling: a bigger wheel takes more energy to move it off it's rotational axis.

Chances are your experiences at races are likely from improved fitness. Good for you!