best "type" of XC bike...

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by FoShizzle, Nov 9, 2008.

1. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    I am considering trying racing next year as things are looking up with my riding time come January...either that, or I am simply justifying the need for another bike :)

I have been pondering what makes the most sense....for XC racing and/or endurance events.

For those have have experience across a broad class of bikes, what are your thoughts? Specifically, for those who have tried shorter travel 26ers (eg, Epic, Racer X), shorter travel 29er (eg, Racer X), and hardtail 29ers for this purpose. Not really interested in hardtail 26ers in this regard.

In my simple mind, it comes down to wanting a light bike for sure...with minimal (~3-4") travel at most and I may be wrong, but I would lean towards a 26er Racer X type bike or a hardtail 29er

2. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I would say 29 without a doubt. Steel or Ti for endurance events. While I own a hardtail I think the holly grail is a pivotless softtail. I like the idea of a Dos Niner or Siren Song, but I have been lusting after the Funk Cycles La Ruta.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.funkcycles.com/

Up to 100mm (3.9") of travel and designed to handle 100-130 up front. Fame is 3.5 - 4.1 pounds. $2,500, only $100 more for custom geometry. I haven't found much out there in the way of reviews or posts about the bike on forums. So it's kind of a crap shoot on this ride, but it seems like it could be just about the perfect all around MTB to me.

This is my rig. I built it to be an all day bike. Decisions landed on the side of comfort over weight and simplicity over complexity.

Current configuration
    Frame: Med Niner MCR 9 Root Beer Brown
    Fork: Reba
    Front Wheel: WTB Laser Disc, Stan Arch 29, DT Revolution, Al nipple
    Rear Wheel: King disc, Stan Arch 29, DT Revolution, Al nipple
    Brakes: Magura Marta SL
    Headset: King
    Stem: Thompson 5x90
    Bars: On One Flegal
    Saddle: Butchered Brooks B-17
    Tires: Bontrager Dry-X 2.1 with Stans
    BB: Cartridge square tapper Shimano
    Crank: Race Face Turbine
    Shifter: SRAM X9 rear only
    Derailleur: SRAM X9 med cage
    Cassette: 11x34
    Cainring: Surly 30 tooth, Path bashguard
    Pedals: Shimano PD-M540

[​IMG]

I would like to do a coil conversion of the Pike. That should happen soon. The Marta SL brakes have been ok. They really haven't caused any problems but performance has been ok. I would like to get a set of Jucy 7s with 160mm front and 140mm rear. With 29 and my 175 pounds this thing can really haul and the extra stopping power on long descents would be nice. Everything else has been great.

3. alterego

alterego New Member

Sales rep for Gallo wines
    The Giant Anthem is in my opinion the best XC race bike out. I have raced one for two seasons and it is the fastest bike I've owned. I have done all types of events from fast all out XC to 18 hour endurance events and have never wished to be on anything else.

4. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    wow...i love the Funk bike! do they have dealer pricing or only direct?

today i am gonna demo a Titus X 29er probably back to back against the Fireline 29er...riding the same trail i rode yesterday on a carbon Racer X 26er for good comparison...so long as the demo bikes are not crap heavy builds will be good gauge (yesterdays carbon X was average components at best so about 2-3 lbs heavier than if it were built up by a lot of people)

As for the Dos Niner...it was the only bike I have owned that I really didnt like at all, though perhaps the newer ones are better. Personally, when it comes to 29ers, i think the supposed advantages of a softail are outweighed for sure by the negatives (compared to hardtail 29er)

yeah, the Anthem does look ridiculously fast!

5. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Can you explain this opinion? I have not ridden a softtail so I can't comment. I know that coming from a 575 to a HT that I love the efficiency of a HT and find that you don't NEED that much travel unless you are launching 3'+ drops, but a bit of travel would be nice to take the bite out of babyheads. A softtail seems like the best of both worlds.

6. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    Certainly...its quite simple IMHO. Let me preface by saying if a softail truly were in the middle of a hardtail and a FS (terms of plushness) things might be different but it simply aint...feels much closer to a hardtail, especially from a 29er perspective where the hardtail (compared to a 26er) has great advantages in terms of how it rides so much more comfortabely over terrain. Perhaps a 26er softail vs 26er softtail comparison yields different results...dunno, dont care

Pros:
    more travel, but compared to 29er hardtail it is SO incremental its pointless IMHO

Cons:
    more expensive
    heavier
    flexier
    requires maintenance

7. Burner

Burner WAWE

get a Ti hardtail 29er... build it up light.

it's the only demographic of bikes you haven't fouled yet.

8. davidB

davidB Active Member

the more I look around at the XC races, the more I see 29er hardtails being raced on in all classes. I like mine (one of a bunch of Air9's I saw at the last 2 races) for that kind of stuff but wouldn't be opposed to testing out a softail. The Dos comes to mind, but i'd still vote for the Air9

9. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Salsa, though I do like getting funky.

"Softail" niner?[​IMG]

Sims loves his and he haul ass.

If you want to go 26' The Maverick is the most effective design out there.

10. Burner

Burner WAWE

Fo doesn't like the dos

11. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    correct, and i don't like you. in fact, i often wonder if i hated the Dos simply because you had one at the same time and I couldnt stomach having ANYTHING in common with your punk asss

funny you mention that...today I demoed a Fireline 29er and loved it...and it wasnt even built up light at all in fact, very very generic parts but thats understandable given it was a demo bike. It wasnt even the correct size (it was a medium) and I loved it!

i would have like to have ridden the X 29er back to back but i had to run...tough tough call between the x i demoed and the Fireline

12. slayer

slayer New Member

another vote for the giant anthem. i have an x3. it has 4in of travel front and rear. i changed out some parts on it and got the wieght down to 25lbs. and that's not even with super light components. it climbs like a rocket, desends great and the suspension works awesome.

i've raced an 07 epic and a high end european hardtail and the anthem blows both of them away!

13. Lefty Kev

Lefty Kev Exiled Brit

small business owner
    [​IMG]
    Taking carbon fiber to another level :bang:
    It's the...er...foshizzle :lol:

14. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    You can go 'round and 'round in circles listening to every meat-head with an opinion.

XC races are won (and lost) on the climbs. Period. You should buy whatever gets YOU up the hill fastest.

1) 29" wheels are heavier than 26" wheels
    2) full suspension is heavier than a hardtail

You want a 26" hardtail or a 26" soft tail. Anything else will slow you down and you'll be left watching your competition get smaller and smaller as they ride away from you.

15. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Gotta agree with Zippy. I have a bit of experience racing at the upper levels of XC and climbing wins the race. If you are serious about doing well build the lightest durable bike you can, this means 26" wheeled hardtail. I personally had to abandon hardtails for racing as my back would seize up in anything over 2 hours (Expert XC) on my hardtail so I race a light 3" travel 26". Now, if your looking at racing from a "fun" perspective, a nice 4" travel 26" bike in the 24/25lb range would be a great bike.

EDIT; That Cannondale above looks sweet.

16. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Agree with Zippy too. Just look at what all the top pros ride. Super lite carbon 26 inch hardtails. Some have full suspension but thats rare. For XC racing you want the absolutely lightest bike you can get your hand on.... assuming you are in good shape... because 5 extra pounds around the waist is almost the same as the difference between a 25 lbs and a 30 lbs bike - which is a very big difference.

Also consider what you already may have in the stable. If you're on this site you probably already own a bike. Is it a heavier full suspension trail bike? If so, then definately go for a super light hardtail.

17. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    FoShizzle: "I have been pondering what makes the most sense....for XC racing and/or endurance events"

For those responding with recommendations for a uber light 26" HT for XC racing, would you recommend the same set up for endurance events?

(just wondering not trying to provoke a 26" vs 29" battle here [that might end up with a 30 moratorium on the subject ;) ])

18. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    For all but the shortest XC events, go full squish. Giant Anthem X0 or Special S Works Epic. Top shelf components make a difference.

Fulelrton Mike and I burned the Fully loop down a couple of Thursdays ago on the Epics. His time was 51 minutes. I was a few minutes behind him (too tired from Blackstar the night before to keep up). I big-ringed just about everything. The bike is just stupid-light and scary-fast.

Mikes got an Anthem. He did the loop again the next morning, and said although the Specy is lighter (23lbs-ish), he liked the Anthem better.

I's like to do some endurance racing in the future, and I've got Specialized ideas and Giant dreams....

19. HUGH

HUGH Mashers Only !!

I burn metal
    My S works Epic might be for sale.... I think that Epics are the ultimat race bikes PERIOD(my opinion)..
    25 lbs and blinged out. You know how I do!! PM me if interested.

HUGH
    :)

20. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    Duh...

... waiting to see your DW link Flux build...