Best shoes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winger, Jul 11, 2007.

1. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

I use these joinTsS here and just love em!! working on my second pair so the only complain will be that THEY DONT lAST long!! well the bottoms dont!! yes they may be a tliitle soft (yes I wish they where a little stiffer) but over all perfect shoe IMO!!:bang: (plus it dont make me look like a lame roadie too:bang::lol:)

and if anyone out there that works for them good companies that has some pull (power). WE NEED A SHOE LIKE THIS THAT HAS A STIFFER SOLE:bang: I wish the 510 joints had some clipless fittingsS so I could go that route!!#-o:?:8-[

Attached Files:

• shoe.jpg
      shoe.jpg
      File size:
      52.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2007
  2. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    I use CB eggbeaters (both the Candy model and the regular Eggbeater) and just bought a pair of Shimano 181's at Jensens for $67 plus tax (MSRP $160). I did trim a little bit of the sole for clearance with the pedal, but not much.

3. cbHarping

cbHarping When can I ride again?

The Path Bike Shop Webmaster
    I love Lake shoes, I have the MX-165. They have worked fine from day one with my CB Mallets.

Here's a picture of the MX-190. These are an upgraded version of my MX-165s.

[​IMG]

4. Liquid55

Liquid55 New Member

Ballistic Missile Defense
    Were did you buy these? I upgraded to mallets but my shoes aren't clipping in to easily.

5. Torque Wrench

Torque Wrench New Member

Pharmaceutical Product Development
    The Tahos fit really well with the Mallets. The platform on the Mallets have a enough area to provide support for the flexy Tahos. The arch depression on the bottom of the Tahos has enough room for the Mallet's spring when riding unclipped.

6. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    Best shoes I've ever had

These Shimanos pretty much rule it. They are extremely durable, look sick, are comfortable, and perform well.

They work well getting into and out of the clips, especially in dh applications when a dab or a drag is necessary. They feel stable even when finding your way back into the clips.

The drawback is probably the weight of the shoe when compared to high-end XC specific shoes. These aren't balet slippers by any stretch. They're also a bit warm because they're black and have a pretty thick closure.

I have a narrow foot with a tall arch and I am sure that influences the comfort. If you have Fred Flintstone feet, then I am not sure how nice these will feel.

[​IMG]

7. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

yeah, Sidi's are more comfortable than slippers. The Bullit 2 is a good one. I have the Dominater 5, but sometimes have a little trouble getting the buckles to release, which the Bullit doesn't have, and it's cheaper. You can even race DH in them too, (but Winston will give you dirty looks!) :)

8. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I also have Mx-165 shoe, I have no complaints, but its the first mtb specific shoe I have used.The only complaint is I payed 145.00 and see I could have got them for alot less.:protest:

9. Mk3

Mk3 D to the izzope

Commercial HVAC
    Home Page:
    Thoughts on riding shoes

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on (mountain) riding shoes. My favorite regular shoes are hands-down Vans TNT-II's :bang: so I'm having a hard time finding SPD riding shoes I like. Comfort is a big deal to me and I can't stand the looks of the gonzo cycling shoes I find in most the stores.

Second Question: Who's got a good selection for trying on?

I found some Shimano SH-MT51 black mid tops I like but the two MTBR reviews aren't favorable.
    [​IMG]

10. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    try the 661 bmx shoes, they feel like skate shoes.

11. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    Diadora made some cool casual looking SPD shoes. I wear them to school so I don't have to carry other shoes to wear.

12. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I have a pair of those I bought back in 2006. They now have 7000+ miles on them.

Great all-day, epic ride shoes. Not real light but they have good ankle support and are comfortable when you have to get off and hike a little. Also pretty warm in the winter compared to other shoes.

I'll probably get another pair if I ever have to replace the one's I have now.

13. Mk3

Mk3 D to the izzope

Commercial HVAC
    Home Page:
    Seen those and like 'em. Problem is finding a shop that has size 13 I can try on.

14. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    talk to tani at the path, ive never met him, but he helps all the str riders sown south.

15. wrxkid

wrxkid Kiet

scientist, Virus surveillance
    Tani hooked me up with FiveTens. They are a super duper sticky shoe that really works with flat pedals. I use them on my DH bike and have no worries, where as I used to always ride clipped in.

16. Mk3

Mk3 D to the izzope

Commercial HVAC
    Home Page:

Yeah Tani's way cool. I stop by there every once in while just to pester with questions and in hope some MTB skill endows me through osmosis.

I've checked out his shoes a few times but never has what I'm looking for. I know I can order whatever I want but I really want to try them on first. That's why I refuse to order online.

17. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I've got a fat foot so I'm partial to the SIDI Dominator 5 Mega since it comes in a wide. Also, most all the parts are replaceable.

It is pretty pricey but I'm happy with mine.
    Some complain that the sole is too stiff for walking but I try not to do that too much :)

18. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

I love the Specialized shoes for fit (I have wide feet) but they are too destructible. I am on my 2nd pair in 2 years and they are toast. This weekend, I also saw that Epicriderat and Man blong Gaua have rips in the shoes exactly where mine have it...the inside of the heel area is shredding and the mesh is ripped.

I am going to be looking into a pair of Sidi (in mega width). They will hold up a lot better even though they cost more. I could've bought 1 pair of Sidi for what I have spent so far on Spec. Just my .02

19. mntbiker12

mntbiker12 Quest: Singletrack

Marketing Director / Marketing Consultant
    I was going to say take a look at Specialized shoes. My pair of their Body Glove shoe has held up for over 3 years of hard riding. I've since retired them and have gone through 3 pairs of other brands trying to find that same fit and comfort. I'm going back to the Big S - for shoes anyways. The recent MBA has a review of a 3/4 top version of the Specy shoe. Looks nice.

20. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

^^I dunno...maybe I'm too hard on them, but both pairs have disintegrated within (or in less than) a year.:?: