Best shoes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winger, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Winger

Winger Member

Which LBS has a good selection of shoes? Like a MTN shoe warehouse.

I've checked out Performance Tustin, Performance Laguna Hills, and Switchback. Each store seems to have about 5 types of MTN shoes with a spotty selection of sizes.

Ideally I'd like to try out a size 45, 45.5, and 46 of each of the shoes I try on.

Is Jenson a good option?

2. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Yes, I've bought 3 different pairs of shoes from them. They almost have everything in stock.

3. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    Rock and Road seemed to have a selection.... I love my specialized carbon pro... Check them out with the variable arch inserts and shims

4. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

The Bike Co has some cool free ride shoes. Jensen has a lot of XC shoes. The Path has both. Adrenaline Bikes can order you anything you need.

All are great people to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2007
  5. carbonman

carbonman Captian of BIG RED

what's that?????
    Shop around, Jenson has a good selection but doesn't carry Specialized. Rock & Road has a good selection of Specialized shoes.

6. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

I got my five tens at GarageWorks in Irvine. They carry all sizes (no one else had my size in stock) and have a big selection in shop. Only carry Five Tens though if that's what you're looking for. Great shoes. They grip flats like crazy !!
    For my SPD's Incycle and Jenson (Ontario-check their sites too) had decent selections when I was just recently looking . They're both good about ordering in your size just let them know.

(liked their Shimano 121's ordering correct size, currently wear Specialized Taho)

7. imapodaddy

imapodaddy New Member

Home Page:
  8. Winger

Winger Member

I probably should have specified that I'm looking for an XC shoe, SPD.

I have a set of basic 4 year old Shimano's, but they never really fit that well. Unfortunately I ripped off part of the bottom during the Bell Ridge hike-a-bike so I don't have much time left before they are dead.

Maybe I'm being too picky, but it seems like every shoe that fits my toes great has some small piece that digs into my foot & is uncomfortable. I just want to go to a shop that has all my options available and pick the best. Right now I'm trying a 45 of one style, but they don't have a 46. But they have a 46 of another style, but not a 45.

9. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    You could always try a Performance Bike. They've got at least Shimano, right? Even if you decide not to buy you'll know what size you'd want. Can't say if they have a great selection. Bicycle Warehouse sometimes has a good selection of shoes (they did before they moved from Vista anyway, and our local shop is pretty small).

Get Sidi's.

...Actually hubby doesn't like his Sidi's for mountain biking. He wear's them on his road bike. He's wearing Specialized BG (I think) comp carbon's. Carbon sole, 3 straps. His are grey/silver. He seems to like them so far.

10. andino

andino dirt tastes funny

Student
    i'm running some 2 year old sidi's and they're awesome still. Performance BIke has a pretty good selection of shoes as allison said above

11. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Are any of the Sidi's good for hike a bike mode? The few I tried were very stiff and the tread didn't look too dirt friendly.

12. andino

andino dirt tastes funny

Student
    mine feel fine for hike a bike. tested that for the first time when i rode SJT on my SS lol

13. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Andy...You have which model and I'm so jealous you guys got to ride the Cizzle yesterday!!#-o

14. andino

andino dirt tastes funny

Student
    i have the dominator 4s. i didn't get a chance to get out to the cizzle yesterday :( class went longer then expected and my parents wanted to go to dinner

15. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    I have a pair of DMT Ultimax Matrix RSX.

They are stiff from heel to cleat but the toe part flexes for hike a bike. Sizing seems to be spot-on, as long as you measure in Euro (their american number is about a half size too big for the size of the shoe)

I got mine from Glory cycles but they may be available elsewhere

16. Edog

Edog Member

Try REI, the store in Huntington beach carries Shimano & they have alot of sizes. try their web site, order on line & pick up at the store

17. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I got my Addidas Marathons at Bike Co. I like them alot, very light. Had a pair of Nike Kato II before that which I purchased online. They were very comfy and a little heavier but the soles didn't hold up during the Coldwater ride. I still use them, but not on any rides that require Hike-a-bike.

Believe or not, Sports Chalet has MTB shoes and I believe they carry Shimano.

18. Paul000

Paul000 Gravity is your friend

CPA and Tax Coach
    Home Page:
    I'd have to say Jenson has some pretty good stock. They also have some pretty good combo deals...

19. Innes

Innes Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    Look on the Jenson website. If it says "ships today" then it's a pretty good chance it's there. When in doubt, call the store. With a couple key strokes they can tell you if the shoes are there or not.

20. Winger

Winger Member

Thanks for all your help everybody.

I drove to Jenson Corona and found the shoes. Actually, they had my size in every shoe I wanted to try on. I was very impressed with the store and the staff took the time to talk to me and answer every question. Even the other bike parts were reasonably priced and seemed fairly high quality.

I ended up with some basic Pearl Izumi shoes, which were on sale for something like $70. I was expecting to pay a lot more, but these shoes fit like a glove.

I'm considering buying a more rugged type of shoe for the rides where I know there is a hike-a-bike. There's no sense in thrashing a shoe when I don't have to.