Best places to lose weight on a bike.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by afgenkuong, Jul 16, 2009.

1. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Hello STR!

Well... being a weight weenie has made me a paranoid person and I was thinking; where is/are the best place(s) to lose weight on a bike? Usually concerning weight and price is the main issue for me. I love Mountain Biking but I'm not very educated within the mechanics and parts of the bike. I know the parts of the bike, and what they are called. I just don't know where to start!

My very first instinct was to see if I could switch out my Crankset to a 2x9. But after looking a weight differences, I would only be losing about 200 grams. I also saw some Carbon Fiber 2x9 crankset that weighed 700+ grams and was super expensive, so I don't know whats up with that.

Now that I'm writing this topic; I'm starting to think that the wheel set is a good place to start? (In terms of cash needed and weight?)

My current build is the 08 Pitch Pro with Avid Elixer R's and a WTB Shadow V Saddle.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2008&sid=08Pitch

Thanks!

Edit: I weigh 160, and my bike currently weighs in at about 30lbs. Trying to cut down some weight on both. :D

Edit2: I'm 160 and 5'8". For some odd reason my calfs seem to be very bulky but muscular. Sometimes I see guys out there riding and their calfs are relatively skinny but they are super fast! And no... my calfs aren't filled with a thousand tons of fat...

2. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    My A$$ and My Waist....

Sorry...that title was just killing me

Oh constructive...wheels are always a good place to start

3. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    Rims, tires are the easiest and since it's rotational mass weight (something like that :?:). There should be other threads here about that so you may want to do a search for more info. Good luck!

4. Margaritaman

Margaritaman It's just tequila...

Sales
    I've often been tempted to ask for owner pics in the Weight Weenie forum on the other site. I have visions of some 300lb guy spending a fortune to build an 18lb ride. Sort of missing the obvious.

Oh ya, wheels, as stated. Cranks are another.

5. minhster

minhster DNF'd

if you wanna cut weight that matters on the bike, cut the ROTATING weight, that stuff makes more of a difference then "dead" weight (like you)

Start with wheels, pedals, cranks and then move onto the dead weight like fork, bars, seat post, saddle, etc

6. HAB

HAB New Member

Also, the farther from the axis of rotation the rotating weight is, the more it matters. So 100g off the rims makes a bigger difference than 100g off the hubs, for example.

7. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    It's an AM bike. Is the $$$$ it's going to take to shave a 1-1.5lbs. really worth it. I say save that $$ and buy a light wt. XC bike.

Though, I will say a quality wheelset is worth the $$. You'll change bikes and frames but take good wheels with you.

But throwing a ton of $$ trying to make AM bike superduper light isn't really worth it 2 me.

Cheap weight loss. Tubes and tires..

8. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Your ass, get off it and ride....

Cut the seatpost/bars, Lighter rubber, grips/saddle, wheels can get pricey#-o. Be realistic though, spending thousands on making your bike lighter will NOT make climbing easier or you a better rider. Your bike is a six inch AM rig and 30 lbs is pretty light for the category, not to mention Spesh tires are some of the lightest out there. Just suck up the weight and get used to the workout if you want something with that kind of descending and you will start shedding some pounds:lol:. On the other hand if you really want light just get a hardtail or similarly uncomfortable short travel race bike and you'll have something that will go on top of the car much more easily, but will still need to be motored uphill.:bang:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
  9. ISuckAtRiding

ISuckAtRiding Homebrewed Components

machine shop owner
    my bike climbs noticably better when it's in race form:?:
    but 1lb makes more of a difference on an 18lb bike than a 30lb bike.
    i deffinately say tires and wheels first.

10. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

I have no problem pedaling that bike up hill; I just have an obsession with grams. GRAMS GRAMS GRAMS! Hah.

A weekend ride at Aliso usually includes 3+ Climbs up Mathis and 2+ Climbs up Cholla at least. I like climbing as much as I like descending... yes I know... I'm wierd. I love that rock face on Cholla where you can go around it. So fun to cut through the middle.

Edit: Oh DISCO, I know less weight will not make climbing easier... I'll just go faster. Just like everything else, Mountain Biking is always as tiring as it was when you were new to it. But the difference from then and now is how fast you are!

11. Bike Zen

Bike Zen Ellsworth Fabrication

Bike Builder
    "Best places to lose weight on a bike.
    Hello STR!

Well... being a weight weenie has made me a paranoid person and I was thinking; where is/are the best place(s) to lose weight on a bike? Usually concerning weight and price is the main issue for me.
    "

The best place weight on a bike is the tall mountains. Level trails will only work if you push yourself (Intervals and such)
    ;)

12. cid`

cid` booger flicker

go get a carbon bike

13. minhster

minhster DNF'd

oh yea, like someone mentioned above, tires will make a noticable differnce in weight!

also small amount of weight does make a BIG difference depending on where it's located on the bike. I noticed I could roll/coast a lot more since I've gotten my new wheels (same tires). Also when I swapped out the stupid RST fork for a Rockshock Reba, it made a HUGE difference in weight, the front end is WAY lighter that I now have problems keeping it planted on climbs sometimes!

14. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    If you make the bike lighter, it won't go as fast downhill!

15. dft

dft Member

just ride more.
    my bike weighs 41+ pounds with 1350 gram tires and i do los pinos loop with it (6000 of climbing)

16. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

some good responses here.

Rotating weight is key as mentioned.

No one is mentioning 'unsprung weight' tho....
    Lighter parts at the end of suspended parts make your suspension able to be more active.....

basically newtons F=MA applies. Take more force to move heavier objects. Lighter suspension parts = more active suspension = better ride :)

Oh, i thought we were talking race cars... same stuff applies :)

17. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Toss the water bottle, lose as much as 1.5 lbs.

Good news - bad news:
    A lighter wheel accelerates faster. Top end speed is not affected.
    A heavier wheel coasts longer.

18. Margaritaman

Margaritaman It's just tequila...

Sales
    This is when you should start to worry about grams...
    [​IMG]

19. BAD_S197

BAD_S197 New Member

EMT
    Someone beat me to it but any real weight savings will be made by the rider losing weight.

If anyone stresses over a couple grams here and there... they need a life.

Have the same problem when driving my car at the race track. Guys tear everything out of the car and then look at me. I tell em if I should drop 50lbs off my ass and then not have to go through all the trouble of tearing my car apart.

20. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    I swear. Every local bike shop should sell balances, and fish hook scales at below cost to their customers. The resulting weight-weenie return sales will be more than worth it.