Best Lights, Opinions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mazer75, May 28, 2007.

1. mazer75

mazer75 New Member

Got my bike now (Enduro SL), and have been riding like crazy. I feel like a million bucks these days, and I want MORE! So I'm going to start night riding, starting with Fully loop or something.

I have been looking into lighting systems, and was surprised to find how expensive they are. Been mostly looking at Nite Rider brand stuff, since they appear to be the leaders.

My question is this: are the HID systems (approx $400-500) really that much better than the halogen systems (approx $200-250)??? The problem in comparing is that all the HID systems also have Li-Ion polymer batteries (lighter and more juice), while the halogen systems are all Ni-Metal hydride.

So what is the best bang for the buck? Another problem with HID is the cost of replacement bulbs, which is $100 each!!! :O

I'd love to hear from you guys what I should be looking for, and where to get the best deal on these things. Thanks!!

mazer

2. 0gravity

0gravity New Member

Editor, Windpower Monthly (trade magazine)
    I've been riding at night, every Wednesday, fairly consistently (ride posted in the Calendar section), and I've owned both Halogens and HIDS, so I can speak from experience.

Hands down, you've got to go HID. If you're gonna ride a lot at night, it's worth the extra coin for better lighting. Plus, one trip to the ER because you didn't see something using halogen lighting, negates anything you'd save by buying halogen. The HIDs really are that much better. I used to ride with a Sigma EVOx halogen until the switch crapped out. Now I use two Niteride Enduros, one bar mount, one helmet mount. These Enduros are HIDs and can be had for $300. It's the best value I'm aware of in the HID dpt (but look around, there might be something cheaper). Plus, Niterider will replace the bulb within a year if it's burned out on its own (as opposed to blowing out from impact/fall etc).

Happy night riding!!

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I like the Lights in Motion stuff, might be a little more expensive but has brighter and longer burning lights. Batteries are slightly lighter too. Next extra 600 dollars and I'll get lights....not.

4. mazer75

mazer75 New Member

Thanks for the insight (pun intended). :) You make a good point about the costs associated with going off a cliff because you didn't see it. I still feel kinda sick about it, but I guess I'll have to suck it up and get the HIDs.

I don't think the Enduro lights are part of the current lineup from Niterider. I'll see if I can find any on clearance somewhere.

Thanks again guys--

mazer

5. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Light and Motion HID. I've had problem with my Niterider and so have a few of my friends. The connectors on the L&M stuff is much better, and the beam is brighter too. You can save some $$ by getting a NiMH system over the Lithiums. 15-20% off coupons using Nashbar are how I bought mine.

6. mazer75

mazer75 New Member

Hrm... that ARC system seems pretty nice. Looks like it's also at the $400 area. Man! Mucho dinero, but if I want to ride at night I will need one... ugh.

Thanks again y'alls

mazer

7. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
  8. 0gravity

0gravity New Member

Enduros aren't listed on Niterider's web site. This was a late season release so they could rope in some folks on the fence about whether to go halogen or HID. It was basically a discount deal release.

The only limitation with this light is that it's set up for helmet mount only. Many folks prefer bar mount, including myself (but I run both). Bar mount brings out shadows to show contour of the trail. Since helmet mount throws the beam from so close to your eyes, there's no shadow thrown by trail contours. It sounds nit-picky, but if you ride a lot at night, this makes a difference. To make these enduros into a bar mount, you'll want to bugee the battery to your frame (or buy a battery bag from Niterider), and buy a $30 bar mount. But if you're keeping it cheap, just run helmet mount at first. It's still a ton of light.

Wheel world has em for $279. You really can't beat that.

And to someone's point about the connectors, Niterider has since fixed their connector thing that was bugging folks a couple years ago. I've never had a prob with em.

NiteRider 06 Enduro HID - wheelworld.com

9. mazer75

mazer75 New Member

Hey thanks for clarifying that for me... I was a bit confused.

I have another q though. I read on some forums that some of these systems (Niterider at least) have chargers that aren't "smart". Meaning that you have to stop charging on your own or risk damaging the battery. Is this the case with the Enduro setup (NiMH)? Thanks again!

10. mtnbikerdude87

mtnbikerdude87 Huh?

Id vote for the L&M systems too. I got the LI-Ion HID light and this thing is bright! Ive used it on a lot of solo rides to STT and one light is bright enough. The beam pattern of the L&M systems are a lot cleaner. I went riding with a friend of mine who has niterider and the beams on the two were completely different. I noticed that there is a dark spot on the niterider systems where the L&M is a clean circle. Not sure if they changed this with the newer niteirders but this is what I noticed with their older HID.

One thing I would look out for is LED lights. They arent bright now but they are starting to get close to HID lights. Id say give them a couple years and LED will be as bright. I know niterider has their minewet out and this is a great light for road riding. I talked to the guys are L&M and they are releasing something similar to the minewt, only it has a longer cable to that you can mount it on your helmet.

11. cjwally

cjwally I love techno.

I have the L&M ARC Ultra Li-ion. L&M products are brighter than the Niterider products. Only negative is that L&M doesn't have LED on the ARC. Niterider does.

12. 0gravity

0gravity New Member

Yep, the NiMh batteries that came with my Enduro are "smart charger" batteries and chargers. I just plug it in for as long as I want. And I also don't have to run it down. Some people swear by running their batteries full down before charging them. I checked in with a Niterider tech and he said that's not necessary.

One other thing to consider is who else you might be riding with and what lights they have. I partly chose a niterider because most of our Wednesday night crew rides with niteriders. It's good to have the same equipment in case there are equipment issues and you need to borrow a mount, a battery, a cable, etc. But I see there's a lot of people plugging the L&Ms. If other people you might ride with have those, that's a reason to get one of those. I agree that the L&Ms might have a better beam pattern. I borrowed one once. But for me it came down to cost.

13. Pho'dUp

P-line rider
    I still think the Niterider needs to work on their connectors. My buddy bought his system last year and it still needed to be warrantied for service. Sure this is just one case, but I just know if I had to do it again, I'd poney the extra $$ up and get another L&M system instead of the niterider I bought. Which I need to get serviced but have be debating whether to invest anymore into it.

But if you're on a tight budget, the wheelworld deal isn't bad. But I bought my L&M Arc NiMh system for about the same price using web coupons.

Just my thoughts.

14. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    I agree with Trung, LED systems are gonna be hard to beat within the next few years. I have a buddy who works as an engineer for a company who makes flashlights and he has a prototype SINGLE LED flashlight that is seriously bright!!! They are in the process of making one with 3 or 4 LED's that should just be amazing. He says that one will be about 180 Lumens! The burn time on them will hopefully be significantly longer than HID systems also.

As for now I have a L&M Arc HID light and I love it. I definately like the beam pattern better than most Nightrider systems I have seen.

15. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Does L&M have a website cant find it?

16. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
  17. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

Well, "bang for the buck" all depends on how much buck you have to spend.

I prefer halogen lights because of the color of the light...HID systems have a blue tint that tends to wash out on dark surfaces (dirt, asphalt). Halogen lights, while not as bright overall, have a gold glow which doesn't wash out as much on dark surfaces.

I'm more familiar with this in cars...I prefer a high-powered halogen system to HID in cars as well, and I've done my fair share of TSD Rallies at night on roads where lighting is critical.

I'm probably the minority here, but that's my 2 cents. lol.

18. LoisMustDie

LoisMustDie Beer! How did you know?

By the way, dude, I returned the old light set you let me borrow. They replaced it w/ a brand spanking new one. I'll hand it over the next time we ride.
    :beer:

19. Pho'dUp

P-line rider
    Dam dood thanks! I can put those on my townie commuter bike. I almost got pancaked by a Mini Cooper of all things in my neighborhood a few weeks ago.

Let's do a Luge ride sometime soon and I'll spring for some suds at Cook's.

Carl

20. Winger

Winger Member

Absolutely HID.

I have the Enduro ($300 @ Performance) and haven't had any problems with it.