Bent dropput/hanger

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Rockinthecasbah, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

going to straighten it tonight im not worried about the hange part thats easy enough to get straight im worried about pulling the dropout back since it is was out of round where the axle sits

2. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Hey Ricky

That's one hell of a tree branch that got you!

You don't have to worry about the hanger go back and forth a bit....you can adjust the derailleur for that. BUT you need to make sure the hanger is 100% straight or it will not shift properly....it can't be twisted in any ways.

Do what chewy said.....heat, beat and repeat.:lol:

3. Rockinthecasbah

put it in a vice today got the hanger halfway straight, heres the problem, and the reason i think the frames done for , after i got the hanger somewhat straight the drop out is still screwed up
    [​IMG]

4. davidB

davidB Active Member

someone tell me why frames like these are made with a non replaceable hanger?

5. Rockinthecasbah

I like/liked it, just about the most fun hardtail ive ever ridden, price for the dropous im guessing, and weight? since the dropouts are so thin on cro mo frames.

Like I said i have the hanger halfway straight now( not perfect), i just have a giant dropout on that side and have had no luck trying to get the back of the dropout to wrap the axle agian, maybe trasition transam here i come,

6. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Wow, from this angle that does look bad.
    I'd still try straightening it.

If it does fail, contact Tani at The Path; he has a local frame builder who specializes in steel and could graft in another rear dropout or hanger. It shouldn't be that big of deal.

7. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    Saint

Hopefully you can reshape the drop out to hold the rear wheel secure. If you're still unsure about the D-hanger, then look into a Saint axle mount rear derailleur setup.

8. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Bring it over and let the DR fix it. ;)

That is a tough one it needs some special lovin.

9. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Stick a fork in it, its done. Other than lite riding, its not going to be worth trusting. your drop out is very mangled, and the amount of twisting back and forth to get it right it going to weaken that pretty good. Trouble is, what will probably happen, is you will end up with the slightest of cracks forming, one you cant see until next time you roll off something rather big, then snap....

This is probably my biggest bitch with steel frames, having the hanger as part of the frame, there is a reason why bikes built with replaceable hangers consider it the "fuse" if you hit something. You end up destrying a hanger instead of the frame.

Tough luck Ricky, that was a very cool bike

10. Rockinthecasbah

hmm anyone need a bike tested?? this year Ive snapped a head tube, and mangled the rear end of a bike pedaling up the street,

11. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

find a cool welder to throw some sliders on that thing. that'd be sickness IMO. that way you could singlespeed it too.

12. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Like Lee said, get Dennis Duty's contact info from the guys at The Path. I'd bet he could relace your dropout for less than what you'll spend replacing the frame.

13. Rockinthecasbah

i will find out what a fab shop will want to replace the dropouts, maybe with a replaceable hanger, or i might just move on, and hang it up with the other mangled pieces of metal i have around

14. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    I like math so I am figuring that based on the estimated average dollar per hour salary of the folks that replied to this post and the time it took to post those replies, you could have just purchased at least 2 new hangers.

Why mess around? Go online and buy yourself the damn hanger/s--no guess work--20 bucks and you're sorted. If your der. is bent you can unbend it if it's not too bad.

Oh crap!!! I just realized you're hanger is part of the frame itself. By a new frame...if you can. I guess you have no choice, but to bend it back to get back on the trail in the short term.

The value-add of my sake induced post is as follows: buy a well-designed frame (i.e. the der. hanger should be replaceable, etc.).

Good luck in the meantime.

15. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

You don't just replace dropouts with sliders (like Paragons) - the rear end of a frame is designed very different for Paragon sliders.

Unless you're talking about conventional horizontal dropouts, which could done.

Ricky, after all this time, you haven't straightened it yet? I'd have had that done within a couple hours after I got home.

16. autoduel

autoduel sandbagger

Architecture
    That does look bad. I'd try to heat that dropout with a rosebud before hammering it back to shape. consult a metalworker

17. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    Did it change the measurment on dropouts? I dont think it be worth trying to bend it back, did you bought the bike new? if so warranty??

18. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Please.... dont heat that spot...... of all places to kill the heat treat on a bike.

19. thephat

thephat Active Member

That bike was most likely not heat treated since it is steel.

You would all be surprised how much bending a piece of steel can take before it fatigues to the point of failure. I like the idea of the replaceable drop out as a fuse, but I also like the stiffness of an integrated steel hanger. You would be surprised how rarely they actually brake when you bend them back.

The deformation of the actual drop out looks pretty bad in this case, and just replacing the hanger would most likely not do it.

I do think Duty would weld a new drop out on and replace any damaged material for a reasonable price. Being steel, there is no heat treat necessary, so it is not a huge deal doing real frame repairs. Besides, hanging with Duty in his garage is a reward in itself.

20. autoduel

autoduel sandbagger

Architecture
    4130 Heat Treatment
    Heating at 1600 F followed by an oil quench will harden the 4130 alloy. For best results a normalizing pre-hardening heat treatment may be used at 1650 to 1700 F followed by the 1600 F soak and oil quench.