Ride Report Belly Ache Springs Trail, Big Bear Lake. Ca.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by dstepper, Aug 18, 2013.

1. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Lynn (sheclimbs) and I parked the junction of 2N10 and Clarks Grade to ride the old jeep route Belly Aches Spring Road. If you have crossed Skyline Trail at Clarks Grade and followed a fireroad to the next section of Skyline you have rode part of Belly Aches Springs Road. If you look at older USGS Forest Service maps you will see a road label as jeep trail that starts at 2N10/Clarks Grade and drops down maybe 800 vertical feet and 2-3 miles and reconnects back to 2N10...then climb back up Clarks Grade to 2N10. Loop should take less than 2 hours. It took Lynn and I awhile because someone has been dragging downed trees and limbs in the tread of the trail. Not sure if they are discouraging MTBers or motos? There are moto tracks on the trail but this trail sees very little traffic of any sort. Trail is sandy much of the way so climbing it would not be worth it, just climb Clarks Grade back up.

I would recommend this loop. It is a very nice trail if you are ok with sand some exposure, some bush whacking thread that is a little tore up from motos and lots or debris in the trail...plus the climbed back out.

Dean

Attached Files:

2. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    20 years ridi g up here, i've never ridden that one. You Sir have inspired Me . Nice RR BTW.

3. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Was that you guys that passed me on Skyline? Apparently I was in stealth mode, as I startled the woman when I said "hi". Great riding out there today!

4. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

The Team Big Bear guys put a lot of TLC into Bellyache before a few of the races last year that used it as a descent, and its slated to be used as part of the October race. When we raced it last year, it was definitely not close to moto-friendly, but rideable. With regular MTB use, it had the potential to be a great trail. The downed trees across the trail smells of a pending "rehabilitate trail back to the forest" project/sanitization. That would be unfortunate.

5. dstepper

Home Page:
    Yep apparently it is part of the Big Bear endurance race. Bear Valley Bikes is keeping it brushed back but it could use some extra love. Moto friendly or not they are using it. I have been many places and scratched my head wondering how those moto guys ride what they do.

6. dstepper

Home Page:

Nope we where not on Skyline on Sunday we rode it Saturday.