Beer Aficionados?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by katonk, Nov 27, 2007.

1. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    Current ppost ride fav here id Flying dog brewery Double Dog Double IPA MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Me likey

also have a fridge with a case of Stone 11th, and a couple of smoked porters from the 2006 release of Alaskan Brewing Co..

2. katonk

katonk .

Tried The Reverend and Duvel. Even had an official Duvel glass, until the dishwasher gods demanded it as a sacrifice. Tried red and blue label Chimay, St. Sebastiaan Abby, and few other white beers. Of those, Duvel is the only one I really liked. I liked Chimay until I tried Duvel.

What's the best place to buy Belgians?

3. ipahead

ipahead New Member

Ahhhhh Yes!!!!!

4. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Nope, you're definitely not the only one waving the ommegang flag! Three philosophers is way up on my list. And have you tried Ommegeddon, the new one they've got they they introduced brettomyces into? Funky, but in a good way...

5. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    Not yet, but as soon as Baron's has it, it's on! :bang:

6. 2w4s

2w4s New Member

Well, I grew up in southern Belgium, smallish town called Mons, so I have an affinity for the geuze, lambics and trappistes like everybody else. I've been to stone brewery couple times and I like most of their stuff, my favorite is the Old Guardian barley wine. I still think the Sierra Nevada Big Foot ale is my favorite when I can find it though.

[​IMG]

7. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Most of the places brewmaster mentioned will have a good selection of belgian beers; Hi-Time probably has the best I know of in south county, Lone Hill Liquor if you're up by the 210/57 interchange, vendome/bevmo/etc if inbetween - just go on proximity!
    As for suggestions, i'll second duvel or orval, since you don't want to get too far out to start off (kinda like the sour beers you tried!). Maybe try Saison duPont for an excellent saison, St. Bernardus 8, Westmalle 10. Unibroue from Quebec makes some outstanding belgian-style beers as well; La Fin du Monde (Belgian strong ale), Maudite (Belgian Strong Golden Ale), and Blanche de Chambly (Belgian White) are all excellent...

enjoy!

8. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I thought Dino's favorite "beer" was Zima.:?:

9. 2w4s

2w4s New Member

It's funny that when you're in Canada it's is cheaper to buy a big bottle of these than to buy the equivalent amount of some crappy Sleemans or Molson type beers.

10. katonk

katonk .

Now that you mention it, he WAS drinking a Zima the last I saw him. Hmmm... :-k

11. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    ahh.......Blind Pig...I recall having some in Temecula when they were still there...mmm...

Beer.....have plenty, drink plenty, share plenty.:beer:..what else do ya need to know! Do I need to upload my inventory? BTW...if you buy a Double Bastard...wait a year or so to drink it...it's way too young right now!:-k

I usually drink a beer or more while grading papers...it helps take the sting away.....oh...does that mean I can drink more if doing report cards?:?:

12. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    Wine Country in Long Beach near the post office on Redondo [SIZE=-1]www.thewinecountry.com[/SIZE]

Morry's of Naples is pretty good http://www.morrys.com/ beer is back on their menu

on draft...Lucky Baldwins and Lucky Baldwin's new Delirium Cafe
    http://luckybaldwins.com/deliriumcafe.html

even the Abbey in Seal Beach with Chimay White on all the time...and others throughout the year....also Beachwood BBQ for many fine drafts from Belgian to local and NO SHITE BEER!!:clap::clap:

13. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

I'm soooooo over Zima! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

14. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Just got back from Hollingshead's. Pliney the Elder baby! Yum!

15. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    I've had geuzes, I don't recall if I've tried a straight up lambic. To me, lambics are "play beer," just to give my taste buds a romp. It's not my favorite style.

I love your pictures from the brewery. I've wondered what it would be like to spontaneously ferment a beer here. I'm only a shade tree microbiologist, but I suspect the beer would be like sucking on a wet dishrag that's been left out for a week.

We need to get together so I can pay you for the brew. I'm still recovering from the concussion, so I need to be reminded of things, so remind me to chill a bottle of mead. It's my only mead, it doesn't travel well, it's incorrect, but it's tasty nevertheless.

R

16. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Rob, no need to pay me for the bottle. It's my recovery gift to you. Anyone who crashes and gets airlifted out doesn't pay me for beer. It's the least I can do to speed your recovery (and make you see pretty colors from the Vicodin). ;)

By the way, geuzes are just blended lambics. They take lambic beer that has been aged in wooden barrels for 1, 2, or 3 years and blend those to make a gueze. Each year of aging contributes different flavors, but I don't think any one year is worth drinking on its own. It's really amazing. Also, great breweries like Cantillon do not pasteurize their beer. The more commercial lambics like Lindeman's, Timmermans, or Mort Subite are pasteurized and taste significantly different.

katonk, for a great beer experience/education, check out the Stuffed Sandwich in San Gabriel. Decent food and an incredible beer selection. You have to buy food to drink alcohol there. Sam, the owner, is incredibly knowledgeable about beer and if you tell him what you've had and what types of beer you are looking to learn about, he will set you up nicely.

17. LoisMustDie

LoisMustDie Beer! How did you know?

Thats what I'm talking about! You, my friend, have great taste. :beer:

18. Evil Chocula

Evil Chocula ah buh bye now

Urgent Notice for all Sam Adams Drinkers:

Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic is officially nasty. Nasty in a bad way.

19. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    That sounds nasty -- in a bad way.

20. kamaekia

kamaekia Overpaid Grunt

Actuary
    Home Page:
    I see we have a lot of Belgian-style beer fans. I'll represent some beers from Germany. Some of the beers I like are the wheat beers. Some of the brands would include Hopf and Erdinger. I also like Fischer as a beer with a really strong Hop taste.