Bear at Marshall Canyon / Potato Mtn.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Jooorgeee, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Jooorgeee

Jooorgeee New Member

So, I've ridden Marshall Canyon a number of times but I've never been up to Potato Mtn. I wanted a longer ride than Just Marshall last Sunday and decided to go for Potato. The ascent was ok and there were way less hikers and bikers once I got past Cobalt. On the way down a group of ladies flagged me down and told me that another rider had seen a bear and it took off into the shrubs. I figured the bear was long gone at this point and didn't think much of it. I continued the descent and no more than 200 yards down the fire road I see the bear hanging out at the edge of the road snacking on bushes. I stopped 50 yards out and rang my bell so I wouldn't spook him, bear did not give two shits. I waited about a minute and he eventually took off into the woods. He was blocking my downhill route so I didn't want to risk being chased up hill if I tried to take a picture. He was probably 200lb and had a medium brown coat. He was actually pretty cute, I wish I could have pet him without being mauled. Anyways, keep an eye out if you're in the area.

2. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I guess hiker bear bells are just for that, notifying them so as not to surprise them. Perhaps a sports airhorn next time, lol.

3. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    somes you see a bear, sometimes the bahr gets you. Always carry lots of Goo and other energy bars, pepper spray and carry a bell. Remember what bear scatt looks like. Brown bear scatt has lots of berries and seeds. Black bear schmitt has wrappers, bells, and smells like pepper.

4. scan

scan Member

occupational therapist
    There are bear in them thar hills. my brother and I saw a bear on our way up to potato several years ago.I think Tom the bomb almost ran into one at night.

5. auger

auger Member

Retired from fixing helicopters
    I ride there often and have seen2 this year in Marshall/Claremont. One on the Claremont side between the gazebo and the gate by the trail going down to Marshall and the other on the way to Potato mt. Last year 1 down by the pick nic tables in Marshall. Each time I came up on them pretty fast scaring the bear and me. Would love to get a picture but they all ran off.

6. suicidesam

suicidesam New Member

:d

Attached Files:

7. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Forget the bears up there, they're pretty harmless, unless you mess with them. It's the mt. kitty you need to watch out for!!! -Lloyd :wave:

8. jleano

jleano New Member

Me and a group of friends where riding marshall on sunday afternoon... while we split up, a friend with his new rider girlfriend decided to turn around a little after the picnic table on the main fireroad...
    when we caught up to them at the bottom, they reported they also saw a bear, luckily the bear seemed calm and did not charge at them, instead it went up the side of the mountain..
    scary!
    Marshall Bear.jpg
    http://instagram.com/p/nCbaurl3nZ/

9. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Sheet... I'm bigger than that bear.