Bad day! Bad!

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by ManInAShed, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psyclerider

psyclerider Member

Photojournalist
    Weak! I ride road and mountain and I always ask a broken down rider if they have everything they need. I really don't care if they where not prepared, no one gets left behind. Sorry to hear that happen.

2. Falconer

Falconer Who are you? who who

Falconer/Animal trainer
    Wow, I would also expect at least one offer of help.
    Too many self centered people. I would of asked some of the Solo riders if I could use their pump. Was it pride that stopped you from asking? For me a couple minutes of dignity lost
    is a better choice then hours of walking.
    Any chance of re-flowing the weld with a tig welder if the crack is not huge you could probably get away with it. I am not sure if it would affect the frames heat treatment if you were quick about it . I have been thinking of mig welding a disk brake mount on an old Specialized FSR rear triangle. It is steel, I just do not want to adversely affect it so
    I am on the wall about it.
    What say you ? I only ask because I love working with metal as a hobby.

3. heme11

heme11 Brake Rider

Field Tech
    Sorry to hear about the frame.

My group gave a tube and loaned levers and a pump to a guy on sat who had flatted his front tire. Afterwards the general consensus was that he was jackass for not bringing any supplies with him (this does not apply to you since you just ran out of co2 from previous flats). I agree with the other suggestion of bringing a pump. Or just go tubeless and ride through thorns all damn day long. :)

4. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    I rode the street tonight. Ran into a dude with a flat tire, could not help him. Told you I was no help.

5. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

Environmental Engineering
    What color car are planning on driving when this happen? Just need to know...hahaha

6. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

I cant tell what car Ill be driving....If I do all the roadies will be looking for my car.....I have to do a sneak attack

Seriously I have nothing against road riders until they start riding in the lanes....Thats when I get out my PA in my truck and give them a piece of my mind.

7. Rakuman

Rakuman Member

Artist
    Just a example of Mt bikers going the extra mile a couple of weeks ago my wife and my boys were doing a nightride and I flatted out, I was having probs with my pump,( in daylight i found out I had it set for shrader valve my kids trailer ), A group of guys came up on us and asked us if they could help, I told them i had CO2 in my pack and could do it, but I had 3 guys with their co2 out and ready they even filled my tube while i held my bike. now thats going the extra mile. Thanks guys I could have done it myself but you restored my faith in my fellow man.

8. Mdm. Dabalot

Mdm. Dabalot New Member

Ride with with a woman. :) I am always asked for help if I am fixing a flat. I even had strangers walk me to a fire station after a crash. I prefer not to need help but am always asked even if I don't look like I need it. And no, I am not some hot chick!

How that many cyclists could pass you is amazing. Are you sure this wasn't during a stage of the TofC? Are you an open carry guy? Maybe that put them off. Wishing you much better luck next time!

Seriously, I always ask people on the side of the road - maybe they just need a pump or tube to get them home safely. I don't carry much but it is available to whoever needs it.

9. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Darn! You mean my sexy Lycra isn't enough to flag down any help? Do man boobs count?:?::lol:

10. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    Ran into a dude on the trails last night, bike upside down. Asked if he needed help. He said no, he was waiting for the Stans. So I asked him if he was at the close trail head, he said no and pointed the other way. I said bummer dude and off I went. See I am really no help at all

11. wizard

wizard tradersancho's dad

Chemist
    Have mercy on their roady souls, Tom. Sometime riding in the lane is the safest way when riding on the road. Like when the bike lane has cars parked in it so you have to pop in and out of the lane to get around them. BTW, I have ridden a few times with the OC Rebels (roady group) and they are a great bunch of folks (kinda like STR folks, but w/o the mud).

12. proraptor

I Understand if there is something blocking the bike lane then I have no problem with them going around the object..... I just hate it when they are in a large group and decide the lane is theirs......and people are suprised when one gets hit

13. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    But with big groups there can be a lot of jockying for position. If we are not holding up traffic I see nothing wrong with taking the lane. We are considered a moving vehicle and have a right to a lane. Are we supposed to ride 2, 3 or even 4 across, no we are not. But I still have to ask the question do most drivers follow all the laws? No, some just don't make a lot of sense. Consider this also, please... we are a group of say 20, 30 or more riders and because we take the lane and cost some driver a total of 30 seconds out of their day, is it really that bad?

When we see someone in trouble we will ask them if they need a hand.

14. Patrick

Patrick Member

Real Estate Expert
    I would of laid sprawled out on the ground when I saw the cyclists approaching. That would of probably prompted a stop. Then get up, pretend to have found your contact or valve cap, and ask for a pump. It also works to pick up Irish chicks outside a pub.

15. proraptor

If you cost me 30 seconds out of my day I will be pissed

16. Tortuga

Tortuga New Member

wow...you must be pretty important...

I'm sure poor Don Murphy didn't realize how important that woman that killed him was either.

17. heme11

heme11 Brake Rider

Field Tech
    I could not agree more.

I know it sucks to get held up by people on bikes while riding in traffic but remember they are not roadies out to ruin your day, they are people just like you and I with familys and jobs and bills and all the same crap we have to deal with out for a ride and enjoying their discipline of cycling just like we do ours. So maybe next time just chill out and remember how much you have in common with them.

18. unclepudding

unclepudding Fueled by Frosted Flakes

Derivatives Trading
    Boo hoo.
    You're talking about people's LIVES here. At first I thought you were trying to be funny, but now I just realize you're a... nevermind. I won't sink down to name calling. Grow up, dude.

19. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Damn 20 year old Yeti race bike just cracking like that...Luckily, they still make the ARC, and it still handles like a guided missile - only better. And the welds and aluminum have another 20 years of research and development in them, more suited to current forks and riding styles.

OK Yeti fan-boy thread hijacker done...

20. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    The question I have is whether or not you motioned them for help. It's not their job to stop and ask you if you need help. But it's a different story if you're trying to wave them down or holding a flat tire up and motioning at them.

I've had good luck getting help from both moutain bikers (Hippie Bike Riders) and Roadies (Civilized Bike Riders) but I usually am doing something to alert them to the fact that I want or need help.

Better luck next time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.