Ride Report Back on 26, or Snow Summit 8/19

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by allison, Aug 19, 2007.

1. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    "Almost" made you want to get hurt:beer:

2. ahimanic

ahimanic Victim of Karate Monkey

Bean counter!
    Damn CC, sorry that you crashed so hard and had to go to the ER. Glad you're OK.

Where was Karate Monkey with his Force??

Time to invest in a full-face helmet for the DH days. Heck, time for me to get one after seeing that!

I'll miss you at the Loop this week :(

3. mcgyver0302

mcgyver0302 Life behind bars

Slave
    Home Page:
    Looks like STR's injured beach ride is going to be a BIG one! Heal up quick CC and Jason :(

4. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    Thanks everyone. Alison and Justin thank you, I will take you up on that offer. Last night was the worst of the stiffness, achs, pains and this morning I did wake up feeling stiff mostly in the neck and moving kind of slowly everywhere.

Right now I feel pretty good and I'm not on any medication. I did pick it up in case in need it or maybe 1/2 a vicadin to sleep good tonight.

I wanted to thank everyone again for all the phone calls and well wishes and all the offers to help. Luckily both my kids sensed the serverity of my condition and they have been very helpful. I guess were not as dysfunctional as I thought. LOL.

PS: Jason, I hope you get better soon. Remember we were going to adjust the fork and shock before I left to Mammoth and Tahoe. Well I adjust the front fork, but never got around to the rear shock. I guess the back tire really shot up after they snapped that photo and it sent my front tire nose first (is that possible) into the ground. Front tire hit first, then head, neck, got the worst of it and the knees are scrapped up (I was waring armor, why didn't protect the knees better), should I be waring knee pads under the armor??

Well anyway Jason, I don't know if I'll see you before I ride again, but I do have an adjustment job that needs to be done. So get better soon.

~ cc

PSS: I'm already wanting to ride and do some more hucking...so that must be a good sign. Right?? Either that or I have completely lost my marbles. Well my point being, the fall didn't scare me away from being a mother hucker.:)

5. sheclimbs

sheclimbs Active Member

That's my girl, Get that Bear!
    Glad to hear you are o.k. you are one tough cookie.
    Time for a FF helmet, you have to protect that pretty face!
    I know you wanted to get more time off from work but isn't this a little extreme?
    Heal up quickly, I'm back in town and ready to ride! Mother Hucker!
    Hey that's a good name for you. :)

6. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    CC - You may need to try out different knee and/or knee/shin pads. Mine have more complete coverage around the top and sides of the knee. Ann told me that Andy has the same ones and doesn't like them, but I do like the coverage. Another, albeit more expensive route, would be to check out the chick armor from, I think, Dainese? (Help me out here.)

Possibly a local bike shop can offer you a discount on those, or something else? I'm sure someone would step up!

Other than that, you can also buy something from 661 that I think is supposed to hold the knee on better. I believe Nancy and Roger have them for DHing.

661 Padlock Knee. Aside from holding the knee pads in place, I have *no* idea what they would be used for. Unfortunately they aren't in stock through 661, so maybe a bike shop has them in stock. Might be cheaper than buying a new set, but probably not by much.

Keep at it woman. We just need to set your sights lower and have you hucking curbs and small rocks before taking on a few feet :)

7. Winston

Winston Bad 5%

Those Race Face/Roach knee/shin guards are known to slide down on folks and leave your knees exposed. My personal experience with them was 2 crashes equaled 2 skinned knees.

I've found that the Fox Launch knee/shin stay in place when you go down, but they aren't as comfy as the Roach pads.

Good luck,

Winston

8. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

CC needs to ride Oaks with us

what size roach pads do you guys wear? I run XL leg and the bottom of the armor sits snug against the top of my 510s so they have no where to go... never had them slide down in my unintention bike ejections YET, but i'm sure it will happen now

9. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    New full coverage knee/shin pads are way cheaper than moto pants, unfortunately.

Though, never hurts to check out closeout prices, or probably even Play it Again.

You could always go with DJ knee pads if you aren't riding flats. The Pro DJ Knee or Tomcat knee pads secure tightly at the knee. I've got the Race knee/shin.

10. CC

Ok, I've got the soft knee pads, can they be worn under the armor?

11. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Yes, we use the 661 Padlock Knee to keep our shin guards from sliding when we fall. The work great!

I use these which are the 661 RACE KNEE / SHIN.

[​IMG]

Troy Lee has a similar product, but his goes on the inside of the shin guard. Not sure why.

[​IMG][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MSRP: $80.00[/FONT][​IMG] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Price Point: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$71.98[/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Save 10%[/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Size :[/FONT] Choose Size Sm/Md $71.98 Lg/X-Lg $71.98 [​IMG]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Product Description[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Troy Lee Designs Lopes Signature Knee/Shin Guard is a unique knee guard system developed with 9 time NORBA champ Brian Lopes. Created from Lopes' personal handmade knee guards which he used with great success. Unique two-piece system, combining inner neoprene sleeve and custom molded outer polycarbonate plastic guard sewn to ventilated foam for a breathable, ergonomic fit.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*The inner neoprene sleeve adds comfort and protection while using velcro to securely attach the outer piece. [/FONT]

Justin, thanks for taking a side view shot of me this time instead of from the rear! LOL.....:clap:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2007
  12. CC

Nancy, I think the pad are separate, so that you can use them on less demanding rides. I have knee pads that I wear when the trail is going to be a little more demanding than a xc trails but is not a true dh trail.

13. denmother

Looks like they come as a set. Probably keeps the shin guard from sliding around while pedaling and scratching/irritating your knee.

Unique two-piece system, combining inner neoprene sleeve and custom molded outer polycarbonate plastic guard sewn to ventilated foam for a breathable, ergonomic fit.

*The inner neoprene sleeve adds comfort and protection while using velcro to securely attach the outer piece.

I use these when I do easier trail riding:

[​IMG]

Fox Racing Radius Knee Pads
    Price $29.95 ​

14. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
  15. JustBike

JustBike New Member

wow that's all Big bear? Snow Summit? never been there but want to go soon. I thought they didnt allow 6inch+ forks?

16. Hanzo

Hanzo .

Is that what that was... All this time I thought it was that bear everyone keeps talking about.:)

17. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing

We saw the other group of riders lowering the trees on their ft ends to look like 6" and then raising them back up at the top...

Food for thought:beer:

18. Flat Broke

Flat Broke Bikes don't kill bunnies

Jack of all trades, master of some
    With regard to the knee/shin pads. I fell pretty good this weekend and experienced the same thing Winston was talking about with the Roach/Race Face pads. I've fallen with them before but never had the problem. This time I must have been going fast enough or bailed hard enough to have em slide. Like another poster mentioned, I run the XL and it sits right above my sneaker. The left knee pad still found a way to get out from between my leg and the ground.

JCampbell,

Are you using the EVS Stratta Knee/shin combo? It looks kinda bulky, but I can only find one pic online. Do you have any problems with the hinge getting jammed up with pebbles etc?

If anyone is interested in EVS pads, I'd wait to pull the trigger until the Chaparral annual parking lot sale in October. EVS usually has a booth there and pressure suits, knee/shin pads, elbow pads etc were pretty cheap last year. I want to say their pressure suits were around $100, elbow pads were under $20, etc. If you don't have gear, it might be a good place to check out before you lay down your coin.

Chris

19. denmother

Depends on their mood and how much you cry. :) Many people were turned away and came back later and they let them on. We were told that their boss came by the day before and said no more downhill bikes. When we got there Sunday morning, they weighed every bike, measured the forks and the tires. Bikes had to be less than 40lbs, forks 6" or less and tires 2.5 or less. We put Totems on our Socoms so we could ride (replacing our Fox 40s).

Basically it's a crap shoot and there are no guarantees. Bring a smaller bike as a spare just in case. :wave:

20. Winston

Winston Bad 5%

Dear Tani,

How come I don't have a spare Totem just laying around to replace my 40?

Sincerely,

Winston