Downhill Australian Mountain Bike National Championships

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by denmother, Jan 21, 2010.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

January 17, Downhill - Elite men:

Kovarik downhill king

By: Cycling News
    Published: January 17, 18:46,
    Updated: January 17, 19:00

Hill crashes in sight of finish line
    [​IMG]
    Chris Kovarik rode a flawless run to post another national title.

view thumbnail gallery

In a tightly fought race for the downhill title at the Australian Mountain Bike Championships in Adelaide on Sunday, Chris Kovarik won his fourth national title while world number one, and pre-race favourite, Sam Hill crashed on the final corner just metres from the finish line.

Hill had set the fastest time in the qualifying round to be the last rider out of the start house and looked set to claim the title until it all came undone in sight of the line. Unscathed from the fall, he got back up and crossed the line to finish fifth.

Having won the Australian title three years running, from 2000 to 2002, it was a pleasing return to the top step of the podium for Kovarik.

"Although it was pretty good, I wasn't really happy with the time. I was hoping to go two seconds faster than my qualifying time but I've just done the same time," Kovarik said.

"Hard luck to Sam coming off on that last corner and giving it to me. I was just watching the times and think he would have had it by half a second (if he didn't crash)."

For a disappointed Hill, it was just the beginning of his season-long campaign to reclaim the rainbow jersey of world champion.

Overshadowed by the drama of Hill's crash, the silver medal went to Shaun O'Connor and the bronze to Josh Button.

Plenty of attention was also paid to the Under 19 men's race where rising young gun Troy Brosnan of South Australia blitzed the field to snatch the win ahead of Daniel Lavis and Aden Wyber.
    A relieved Brosnan said that he made a few mistakes, but it was a great relief to win particularly with support he had from a very vocal crowd.
    Much is expected of Brosnan as he has been touted as Australia's next big thing in downhill racing and the day's win will only add to his growing reputation.

2. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

I heard something about Troy Brosnan riding (or training) with the Spesh Factory team. Was that like a 1 time deal? Is he on the Spesh team?

3. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

What is "Spesh"?

4. RYAN E

RYAN E New Member

"spesh" is specialized