As several have suggested... please can we have..

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by BAD_S197, Jul 2, 2009.

1. BAD_S197

BAD_S197 New Member

EMT
    A forum for assisting people that are jobless?

Each person who is jobless can post a thread with their skills and/or resume and then we can close it once they have a job.

There's a lot of people here that work in a lot of different fields.

It might help someone who's looking for a job.

I'll even assist in moderating if you need help.
    thanks
    jake

2. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    I vote for yes! I think there's a lot of STR members have lost there jobs :(

I for one lost my full time 8 months ago... I'm just slightly lucky since I had two jobs. Now I have to work full time on my other job as a Sales Rep for a termite company... so far it seems that the market on housing is slowly going up. My job depends on my realtors that I have worked with for 8 years.

3. Patrick

Patrick Member

Real Estate Expert
    Started a thread talent management...maybe it will stick...

4. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

My thoughts are we can also hire them in the meantime for side jobs carpentry, auto repair etc. whatever they are trained for?

5. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Whatever, just be considerate of others.

So long as it's in a separate area for business, religion, and politics. Otherwise it's off bike topic (my outlet and escape) and subject to flogging.:?:

6. BAD_S197

BAD_S197 New Member

EMT
    If there was a seperate forum, each thread would be someone out of a job and peopel can discuss whatever they want in each thread related to that persons job search but it would be known that the threads are in reality all people look for jobs.

Sad to say there will be a lot of threads open but hopefully in the future there will be NO threads in the forum and we can close it.

I think for the most part it would be kept job search related.

If someone gets a job we can close that thread and consider it a victory for the community.

A few people on here helped me out when i lost my job... looked at my resume, offered a job that I could apply for. Unfortunately a couple of them didn't fit my particular skill set.

If someone gets a job we can close that thread and consider it a victory for the community.

A few people on here helped me out when i lost my job... looked at my resume, offered a job that I could apply for. Unfortunately a couple of them didn't fit my particular skill set.

7. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

I'd support a separate job posting board that is closed to replies. Like a classified ad, interested parties can then take the conversation to PM or email, and hopefully a connection can be made.

8. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    I vote no. This is a BIKE FORUM. Topics should be BIKE related. There have numerous job websites that can assist you in finding a job. Monster, Yahoo, etc.. I dont see why we need a JOB forum? Unless you are seeking a BIKE related position. Not trying to be harsh to our jobless friends but this place is already far from how great it used to be because of how it has wandered off...

9. BAD_S197

BAD_S197 New Member

EMT
    When your unemployed and looking for a job you'll gain a new perspective on what a few of us want by adding that forum.

Times are tough these days and if even 1 person see's a thread and needs someone and they get the job, then it's justified right there.

Don't wait for some huge website (monster) to contact you with 500 offers for interviews 9 states away when you have a resource right here locally.

The gov't won't take care of anyone here in our community... but if noone wants to look out for each other, it's only a matter of time before we are all standing outside home depot looking for a few hours work.

10. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    You act like this is the only time that times have been tough? That nobody else has ever been unemployed? I have and I am sure most of us have. I just think there is a place for everything and this is a place for bikes. You don't have to agree with my opinion.

11. tink bell

tink bell the food fairy

purchasing mgr
    hey jordan!
    i understand your point; however, we already have a pub forum for off topic threads, what's wrong w/adding one specific to Professional Networking? PN is huge! companies are more likely to hire someone that has a personal reference than one w/= qualifications that comes w/o a reference.

i think so long as it's separate such as the pub is, then it's a GREAT idea. i also like ladd jasper's idea of making it a one way post only. all comments/replies go through PM's. that way only those that are interested in the subject line open the post & aren't further subjected to irrelevant info from responding posts.

one could also argue that this is a MTB forum, so why have roadie content? same concept. it's a community that we've built here, to discuss our thoughts & ideas- in the appropriate category of course.

my only concern would be posting of resumes that included personal info such as phone & address... of course one could just copy & past body of relevant info/background & leave off headers. resume to be provided upon request.

my thoughts only...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  12. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    To be honest, it could get UGLY. People commenting on others abilities, asking them about their backgrounds, a lot of personal information shared that shouldn't be, etc... This is a public forum. Job sites are kept private to a point for a reason. Just allow people to post what they want in the PUB and call it a day. If someone is looking and they see a job post they'll respond, etc...

13. tink bell

tink bell the food fairy

purchasing mgr
    that's why i agreed w/ladd jasper's idea of making it a one way post ONLY. no comments to be made, no further responses. so, basically, not a thread, but just a posting.

14. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Dell, that's a great idea (in fact, if it happens, i'd vote for you to be the moderator :)). To it i'd add the recommendation that there be a guideline stating no posting of personal information. Just like a classified add, but all arrangements/resumes/phone #s exchanged through PMs and/or emails.

15. CalEpic

CalEpic member

For now, there is a sticky in the Pub forum: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/pub/35858-whats-your-specialty-talent-management-merged.html All related threads belong there. If anyone wants to post their personal information/resume' in that thread they may feel free but it's at their own risk. Any additional threads on this subject will be merged into that sticky thread.

I'm unemployed myself right now but my personal opinion is that STR is first and foremost a mountain biking website with a sub-forum devoted to other topics. I'd hate to see it go any further than that. Ultimately though, it's up to George so if there's enough interest and he's so inclined...

16. tink bell

tink bell the food fairy

purchasing mgr
    does someone (i nominate the OP) need to create a poll to see just how much interest there really is (or isn't)?

17. tink bell

tink bell the food fairy

purchasing mgr
    you dip... you obviously missed the WHOLE point of this thread. many of the ppl posting here don't HAVE work to go BACK to!! duh!

18. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Evwry time I try and organize an "underemployed/unemployed" ride during the week, nobody shows up so I assumed everyone was working:?:.

19. BAD_S197

BAD_S197 New Member

EMT
    I got a bunch of hits off sites like Monster.com and the other big one... and everyone of them was an out of the state minimum paying wage job.

My company takes refrences seriously these days, now more than ever. If we need a web programmer or tech etc... I surf the sites i'm familiar with who has good people and look there and send references.

This is a Community of Mountain Bikers from all walks of life and job backgrounds... everyone for the most part seems to support everyone else so why stop it at Mountain biking?

You'll give someone a tire/derailure/seatpost/whatever for a race but not a place to post some info in hopes of getting a job?

Sure it's not the first hardship anyone on here has seen but then again, attitudes like yours certainly don't make for making things better.

Jordansrealm "Screw the community... get out there and ride!"

20. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

As much as it pains me to say, the thought of a STR "job forum" concerns me! 8-[

1) This is a BIKE forum

2) The site HAS changed (good and bad).
    Many of our members have stopped posting or (worse) left the site altogether! Many of those who no longer post, blame the lack of bike focus (i.e. they have nothing to say- politically, insensitive pub posts, insider-only posts, posts that are deemed offensive to women etc.). Evolved.. Wandered... Call it what you will... :(

3) I do not like the idea of sharing personal information with people I do not know! (How many STR members do you know... personally)?

4) Personal recommendations...
    Does the person whose resume you are "forwarding" (to YOUR boss) have: An alcohol problem? Drug problem? Convicted of a felony? A poor attitude at work? Do they like stealing from their place(s) of employment? Can you really recommend a person you only know from the internet?

5) What happens when things sour?
    What happens when that "ungrateful" swine finds another job? What happens when they get fired? Will YOU be fired for recommending them? What happens when (I) ride in the middle of two people whose relationship has soured? What about the bitter-employee posts? It's going to happen!!!

6) I no longer place any value on STR polls!
    We have 7,500 members. If the same 35 people respond to every poll, is that any indication of how the masses think? :-k
    TAKE IT FROM ME... The answer is NO!!!

7) As much as I love The Godfather, I feel he MUST be more "hands-on" with regard to the site. Simply put, STR is missing its Captain! And YES, I have spoken to him about it! :(

Part of me wants to see a Job Forum... Part of me has concerns... Part of me simply feels the need to play devil's advocate... 100% of me wants to see our members happy!

Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers... 8-[