Argh! I'm becoming one of THEM!

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by kyoseki, Oct 8, 2008.

1. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Apparently I'm an artist of some description
    The DT Swiss RR 1850s are $800, what hubs would you recommend for the Open Pros?

Would there be any significant advantage over the 1850s? (assuming spoke availability isn't an issue for the 1850s, since they're DT Swiss I would assume that the spokes should be readily available, I think they use a regular spoke tool as well but I could be mistaken there).

If I go with a Campy groupset (which at this point is unlikely I think), I specifically need a Campy rear hub yes? They seem to be different to the Shimano/SRAM ones?

The Zipp 404s are nice, but I don't think I'll be shelling out $2k on a set of wheels until I start shaving my legs :)

2. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

You'll have to get a Campy freehub body, not necessarily a Campy hub. As far as wheels go, I'd advise looking into American Classic's line of wheels. They are available in both Shimano and Campy hub.

3. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Campy wheels are very nice and they roll for ever BUT they will need campy drive train. They are NOT shimano or SRAM compatible. If you go with campy groupo then go with campy wheels too. Strong and fast! I had 2 flats in the front already and so far no damage.

I highly recommend the 09 chorus groupo, they will be lighter than dura ace and 08 record groupo and the ultratorque cranks are amazing!

SRAM Red has proven itself in the pro tours so can't go wrong there either. And the double tap action is kinda nice.

Richie has a set of wheels at 1560G for around 500 bucks(adrenaline has them) which is great value! Very nice wheels too. Mavic wheels are heavy and stiff, not quite as comfy due to the aluminum spokes but depends on the frame you run and what feel you like it may not matter. Another super bitching wheels are from Topolino, bit pricey but it's trip as hell and if you are light you can get the 1390G wheelset for about 1200 bucks. Very sick!

Go to different bike shops and try them all!

4. OffRoadie

OffRoadie Roadie in Exile

Electrical Engineer
    Chainlove right NOW!

Reynolds DV46T.

$1000

5. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Guess I'll be doing some mooching around the west side this weekend then :)

One of the guys I work with is a roadie in the 230 range and says he had a devil of a job keeping the Ksyrium Elites true, so those are definitely out.

Is it already gone? It's onto Easton Stems now?

6. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

That was a smokin' deal! Too bad I snoozed...

7. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Well, it's been a while, but the IRS came through for me so I'm finally building this thing.

I didn't decide to go with Sram RED, details to follow :)

8. tradersancho

tradersancho New Member

Software Engineer
    You could have a wheel set built for you. I hear nothing but great things about the wheels Dave builds at Speed Dream.

Check out his 4.95 out of 5.0 rating from 129 reviews at MTBR.

9. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Yeah, I decided to go with a set of custom wheels, I had a word with DT Swiss who put me in touch with Joe Young.

I've heard good things about Dave, maybe I'll try him next time :)

10. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Do you have any pictures of your build?

11. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Not yet, but I placed the orders for all the parts this weekend.

Should hopefully get everything by the end of next week, so the bike will be built up probably by the middle of Feb, but I won't be riding it until I'm down another 15-20 lbs so that'll be end of Feb/mid-March, assuming I can resist temptation that long :D

12. Zippo

Zippo Pow Wow!

^^^ Put the Maudite away (referring to your avatar) & you'll shed the 15-20 quickly.:lol: I was drinking it Saturday night, yummy....

13. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Oh man, yeah, tell me about it, I love the damned stuff though :)

Been pretty good lately though, down 12 lbs since Jan 1st, hoping to make it a round 15 by the end of the month.

Still, I'm a big guy (one downside of being tall) and I want to make sure I don't overstress anything, that's part of the reason why I'm going with handbuilt wheels.

DT Swiss list the max weight on their RR 1850s as 110kg, but reckon that 32h RR 1.2s laced to 240s hubs will work just fine (same build Joe suggested), Intense say that the bike is fine up to 120kg, but I'm still a little bit north of that right now 8-[ (thankfully I'm a smooth rider - one advantage to plenty of sportbike riding, good observation and being able to pick a clean line :))

Ah well, by the time it's built, I'll be in the ballpark and then it's all downhill from there :D
    Then I can start drinking Maudite again :beer:

14. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Oh for ****'s sake.

Just got a call from Cynergy, the bike's 90% done but this cocking part doesn't bloody well fit;

[​IMG]

It's the bottom bracket cable guide, the one that came with the frame is the same as the one I got with the levers and it doesn't fit - apparently the cable rubs the frame and that's not generally a good thing with carbon.

Now, to the best of my knowledge, the front triangle and chainstays on the Intense Fenix are the same as they are on the Pinarello F4:13 (pretty much the same bike as far as I'm aware), does anyone know if the cable guide on the Pinarello is different to this Campy part?

If it is, I'll swing by Helen's in the morning and see if I can get one from them.

If not, does anyone else have any great ideas?

The Prince appears to use this part, anyone know if the 4:13 uses the same one? That certainly looks like it would fit my frame.
    [​IMG]

Cheers.

Knackers, looks like the Pinarello part doesn't fit, the cable hole on the Intense Frame is further back and off center than it is on the F4:13.

Mechanic reckons he can find something, so hopefully he'll get lucky.