Are we going to war again?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dirtmistress, Mar 18, 2011.

1. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
  2. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

sorry I was too busy watching obamas basketball pics and waiting to see who he will have a beer with next

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    It's still about oil. Notice the price at the pump lately? Well, Mr Gaddafi is being made as the one who is causing this, so he has to go.

4. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

"Say Hello to the New Boss. Same as the Old Boss..." America, F*ck Yeah!!!

The leadership (change) we need is to get us the hell out of places we don't belong and stop paying trillions of dollars to fight other people's fights. The bureacracy of government is becoming oppressive in this country.

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    It's not a question of weather we belong or not and it's not that we want to protect the poor Libyan people, it's about one thing and one thing only and that is to keep the oil flowing. What is the USA without oil? We are not much more then a third world country. Imagine no commerce in the U.S. it wll be at one tenth of what it is today. Yep, that's America without oil and then what happens? The rest of the worlds economy collapses right along with us as the dollar will collapse. Then all this money these "rich" corporations have will mean a lot of nothing. It is only about the oil, it has nothing else to do with anything else.

I really can't understand why people still question whats going on.

6. bing!

bing! Active Member

I don't care much for Libya, but I believe some history has to be recalled on this occassion.

One time when the US didnt give a flying eF about what happened abroad, Hitler killed 70 million people (total casualties for WWII) and almost bankrupted our nation.

There was that other time when the US tried to ignore the terrorist threat, we got the Cole bombing and 9/11.

How about that time we left Afghanistan in a hurry after the USSR collapsed, that didnt turn out so well.

I don't know whats best for this situation, but staying out of world affairs doesnt seem to work either. I'm no fan of this president, but it is interesting that his dithering has prompted other countries to step up. Eeeeeeeeenteresting. Maybe we should do more dithering. These days, our cup runneth empty. We can't really afford to be superman anymore.

7. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    Sure, why not. Do we really need a reason anymore? It's our #1 industry & our #1 export. We're always gonna be at war with someone.

Who cares about the worst genocidal maniacs wiping out peaceful people by the millions and erasing entire cultures across Africa & Asia, we've got muslims to kill and oil to win.

8. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Anyone remember Pan Am flight 103 in 1988? Gadhafi personally ordered that terrorist bombing killing American citizens. As far as I'm concerned any action we take against Libya is 23 years too late.

9. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    Yeah, wait a minute. I thought we went through this already with this country. ...and this dictator. A little foggy, but I could swear Reagan made a big todo about fixing this.

10. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I believe an argument could be made for finishing the job. Or at least help the citizens in that country do it. I wonder if the French will try to throw another monkey wrench in the plans?

11. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Absolutely.

Also, we have nuclear weapons to test and examples to be made. What good is might if one doesn't exercise it on occasion?

Nuclear War Now! :bang:

12. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I was going to say something about waiting for Dirtvert to come and defend Obama. But I won't...oh wait...

Anyhow, I'll actually be impressed that Obama actually does have some balls. I thought he was simply hung up on that Hope and Change b ullshi t.

Have at it boys and girls. :lol:

I helped you finish your thought.

Ok, so I'm kidding about that part, so don't take it too seriously. :lol: :wave:

13. babu9000

babu9000 New Member

We need to let the middle east sort itself out. What the people have done in Tunisia and Egypt shows that the people are strong and they are tired of living in the dark ages. The more the West gets involved the more angry we make both sides. We tried to make things better after WW2 and made things 100x worse. It's time to stop trying to put the fire out with Gasoline. Eventually the middle east will learn that God and government don't mix. In the meantime gas prices will go up, but that's the bed we have made for ourselves. Ride your bike to work/school or use public transportation. That's what my broke ass is doing.

14. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    been there done that, ....the shores of Tripoli.......Let the europeans clean up their own back yard, stay out of Africa. They say the Arab league is behind us, Libya is not Arab so who cares. No precious young American blood should be spilled in Northern Africa, not for this cause.

15. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Where are all the protests against Obama?

16. Gary IFF

Gary IFF Member

Wow. So many opinions. So little consideration.

Libya is arab. The arabic culture extends across all of northern africa, egypt, syria, iraq, and saudi arabia. I'm pretty sure sudan and eastern africa are culturally different from arab. Turks are to the north and persians (iran) are to the east. US doesn't buy any oil from Libya. Europe sure as heck does, so the only affect on our oil prices is from price pressure and sympathetic price hikes.

Obama is playing it smart. Anytime the US tries to do anything for the common good, the rest of the world is resentful. If we were to back any side, that side would suddenly loose credibility since they would then be supported (even just symbolicly) by the a priori evel US. Notice how Israel is doing nothing; they know the middle east. I'm just kind of shocked still that the mobs arent blaming israel for their corrupt governments.

When dealing with foreign policy one should think two steps ahead. For example: The people of Iran overthrew their corrupt leader and instituted a democratically led president. We assasinated him and restored the shah. That was 1956 (or so, not sure of exact dates). 20 years later democracy finally won out again despite our support for a hated ruler and we all know what backlash happened in the 70s there.

When it comes to people chanting money for oil, I don't understand them. Whoever owns the land/oil is going to sell it. The question is "Who do you want to profit from the sale of that oil?" Kuwait, or Iraq? I choose Kuwait any day.

The problem is that so much unearned money in the hands of the elite can buy alot of military power that protects dictatorships. It is well known in the media that Qadafi is hiring subsaharan african mercenaries as his only loyal army. Is this what's right? I think not.

There were previous problems with mercenaries in africa in the 90s when corporations could and did contact deposed rulers in oil rich african countries. They would fund the mercenary army for the deposed ruler and then get a cut of the oil profits once they had installed him in power. Many first world countries were embarassed by their corporations and curtailed this practice since it became known.

As far as Americans exporting war. Huh? Have you seen the world? We are one of the only countries that actually tries to do good for the rest of the world since the end of the cold war. Somalia, Bosnia, Grenada, Taiwan. I know we have been bad previously in our zeal against communism in the 40s to 60s, but we also stopped most of europe from Stalin. The question is who else would you rather have policing the world? The UN is so corrupt its a joke only held together by our support.

So after seeing what will happen two to three steps after whatever it is we might be planning, you have to ask yourself "Is this really going to help anyone else or us?"

my two cents, now back to the rants

17. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Reagan did fix it. Gadhafi was scared into stopping all terrorist operations and shutting down his nuclear and chemical warfare plants. Problem solved with minimal loss of life. No need to make Gadhafi a martyr.

18. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

The world has gone crazy. The french are throwing the first punch by sending their fighters and bombers in... but they'll probably retreat soon when they realized they are being shot at.

19. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    NATO better hurry up and act in Lybia or a mass extermination is gonna take place by the goverment.

20. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    The oil is already flowing. To maintain the status quo we should be helping Gadhafi.