Anyone using Stans?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by northshore, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    Do it.

I haven't had a flat in 2 years. UST and Stans are the best thing to come along in a while.

2. KonaDawgDeluxe

KonaDawgDeluxe REKE/DMC

construction estimator/Project MGR

True. I met this one guy from AZ at Sycamore Canyon not too long ago. During a break from riding we were talking about his SC Blur. He mentioned that he goes to Michaels and buys some "stuff" and mixes it with this and that. The guy wouldn't tell me his concoction. He said he's going to put Stans out of business with his invention. He said its incredible.We'll see. :?:

3. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    I don't think my DT540s are UST though. #-oI've heard of problems converting standard wheelsets to Stans.

4. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

My experiences may be different than others, but my riding style is also a bit different.

Here are some of my basic rules:
    - I will NOT convert to tubeless on anything but UST rims, with one exception: DT Swiss rims (I've tried 4.2D and 5.1D rims) work very well with their tubeless rims strips. Stans rims are not UST compatible, and therefor after my brief testing with them, it quickly became apparent that they are a very poor choice of rim for tubeless applications (except for weight weenies who ride on sidewalks/bridle trails/XC race courses).

- I will NOT convert any singleply non-UST tire to tubeless. They aren't reliable, they perform poorly, and they're not reliable. They also perform poorly. I will convert a 2-ply/DH tire to tubeless.

5. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
    Do it, Ken! I run stan's on all three of my bikes, and would never go back to tubes.

6. Apple_Yak

Apple_Yak Member

I agree on the DT Swiss rims. They work really well and I had no problems getting them to seal up.

I run Specialized 2Bliss Captain S-Works tires. Be careful with Specialized because "2Bliss" isn't the same as "tubeless". They took a lot of time to seal up with stans due to leaking from the sidewall. The 2Bliss tires basically have a tubeless bead for working with tubeless rims but other than that, they are just a regular tire. Now that I have them sealed, everything works great. Would never go back to tubes. Would love to move my roadbike to tubeless but the current roadbike tubeless systems seems to not be quite ready for primetime.

7. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    Azonic Outlaws with stans Ghetto setup on Maxxis High rollers (DH 2.5 and 2.7)... I went Ghetto route just to try if I will like tubeless.... Its been on both bikes for the past 2months... NO FLATS, "NADA"... only downside is I need to add air everyother week (can't be perfect)... I would prefer adding air than fixing flats on the trail tho! :wave:

8. protijy

protijy Bean Town Bonehead

Mech Engineer
    Home Page:
    mavic crosslands with Maxxis UST tires and Stans no flats in 1.5 years and over 1,500 miles!

new setup is DTswiss and I'm converting the nonust rim with a Stans strip and using the same Maxxis UST tires I'll let everyone know how it goes!

9. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

UST Rim

Can somebody elaborate what UST is an acronym for?

10. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Universial Standard for Tubeless. My Swiss DT540s are not UST rims but apparently a number of folks here had no problems doing the ghetto conversion.

I should also add that Captain29er recommended using slime or stans in my old tubes and run it that way since my rims are not UST.

11. SuperDKim

SuperDKim New Member

Office Mang. MBZ Repair Shop
    Yes do it! We have Stans in all of our bike!! Is the best!! Even in the tubless wheels we use the fluid! I don't remmber when we had a flat! KNOCK on WOOD!:bang:

12. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    I'm running 2Bliss tires on DT rims with the DT rim-strip and Stan's. Love them.

I also have a bike I run tubes on. But I put Stan's inside the tubes.

Slime is good, but they recommend 4 oz per innertube. That's a lot of stuff sloshing around in my front wheel. Stan's recommends 2 oz per tire. So I figure 1 oz is good enough for a tube (don't ask my reasoning). So far so good.

And, yes, if a guy from AZ told me his sealant recipe, I'd probably listen.

13. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    Liquid Latex Rubber - main ingredient to which you can get at Michael's....

Here's one DIY: http://www.waltworks.com/dev/faq/gotubeless.pdf

There's actually more on diff MTB sites... I found them when I was researching about tubeless ;)

14. Lefty Kev

Lefty Kev Exiled Brit

small business owner
    quote: Drop D -- Liquid Latex Rubber - main ingredient to which you can get at Michael's....

Here's one DIY: http://www.waltworks.com/dev/faq/gotubeless.pdf

There's actually more on diff MTB sites... I found them when I was researching about tubeless ;)

Since you can pick up a 32 oz bottle of Stan's online for less than $15.00, it seems like more hassle than it's worth making your own sealant. 32 ounces will last a long time! I usually pour whatever is left in the tire back in the bottle and give it a shake...lasts even longer that way ;)

I also recommend picking up Stan's valve core remover and syringe. It makes adding sealant a breeze as you don't have to dismount the bead of the tire. Instead, you just inject it directly through the valve stem. No spills means you can use every last drop of Stan's in your tires, giving you even more bang for your buck :beer:

15. Homer

Homer EMD9er

Marketing, Advertising, PR, Printing
    Noob here. :wave: I'm running stock WTB SpeedDisc Trail rims and 26 x 2.1" Kenda Nevegals. Can I simply buy a $60 Stans kit and ditch my tubes?

1) Is this the "ghetto" way you guys speak of?
    2) How much weight would I save?
    3) Will I feel the difference, even with this low-end setup? :?:

16. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Are they UST? Mine are not so I plan to inject Stans into my tubes and patch the hole and run it that way. I know a number of riders that have done it this way. if done correctly it should work.

17. Lefty Kev

Lefty Kev Exiled Brit

small business owner
    quote: Homer; Noob here. :wave: I'm running stock WTB SpeedDisc Trail rims and 26 x 2.1" Kenda Nevegals. Can I simply buy a $60 Stans kit and ditch my tubes?

1) Is this the "ghetto" way you guys speak of?
    2) How much weight would I save?
    3) Will I feel the difference, even with this low-end setup? :?:

Homer, you shouldn't have any problem converting your existing rims to tubeless with Stan's No Tubes system :bang:

The purpose of switching to tubeless wouldn't be as a weight-saving measure. The reason would be to enable you to run your tires at a lower psi if you choose without the risk of pinch flats. For me, the main reason is virtually no flats of any kind! Add tubeless tires + Stan's and embrace a flat-free riding experience :clap:

Okay...I'm getting a little carried away. At the very least, flats from thorns, etc. will become a thing of the past ;)

18. thephat

thephat Active Member

I was just going to say, "where are all the naysayers?" This web argument (tubes or no) used to be a lot more two sided

DT 5.1 rims with the rims strips are UST.

19. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    Stan's is great with the new 2.35 Kenda's tubeless Nevagels & Mavic rims, no problems at all in Palm Desert last month. Do it you will be happy.

20. Homer

Homer EMD9er

Marketing, Advertising, PR, Printing
    Northshore - No my rims and tires are not UST. I thought that eliminating the tube would save weight, but since that's not the case, I might do what you're saying and call it a day.