anyone else like to make stuff??

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by spookydave, Aug 10, 2006.

1. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

I've been known to make a bike part or two. Most of the time it is more cost effictive to just buy the item. But sometimes it just can't be bought.

A friend's wife has a B1 DH bike and needed a few parts. B1 is long gone so it was looking like they were SOL. All the cnc shops were turning them down and I do understand why. So when he hit me up to make a derrailleur hanger and a bushing I told him I'd take a look. Now 99% of the time I run and hide from this type of stuff because there is just no way it could ever pay. But they were in need and are pretty cool people. And then he stepped up and sported me some things that I needed. Most of the time I don't do well with the barter system but this time it seems to be working out.

Now keep in mind I do not have any CNC equipment. I turn the handles just like in days gone by. So an easy cnc part can be kinda hard on an old handle machine.

Anyway I think I pulled it off good enough to get her bike back in the dirt. I need to round off one corner yet. I'll hit it with a file real quick as I don't like how the other one looks.
    What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made 2 of these bash guards a long time ago. I wonder if MtnbikeJ still has his? I still have this one hanging on the wall.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2006
  2. killa Cali Kid

killa Cali Kid I meant to do that!

pretty cool stuff. suggest you start your own shop like those knuckleheads at america choppers, yell alot and start deposting the checks. it's dat easy, bro ;) I got no skills in fab work so I can play the big dumb (yet lovable) youngest son

btw- the bashguard is screaming cool

3. spookydave

This one was on my Spooky DH bike forever. The guy I sold the frame to is still running it. I really liked the way it turned out.

[​IMG]

Inner guide plate had the same thing going.

[​IMG]

I do have my own shop. That's why I run from that type of work most of the time. If I billed for all my time in that little project it would have been over 700 bucks. They could have bought 2 of those Giant frames from WW for about the same price. lol

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2006
  4. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

Nice work Spooky, now your friend can get back on the trails!

5. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    Those parts look wikkid, bro. Nice job!

6. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    yes dave very kleen work.ive sworn off machinisting because its like being locked up like veal all day.mmmmoooooo.eat more chiken.i did cnc work for many years,even made chopper parts for american made in cucamonga. now im in the running for a job at lausd for a machinist. funny how things work.a friend, back when purple was the stuff parts were made of, i made some barends for him,fishsticks,ive still got a pair.keep it up man.

7. hack job

hack job New Member

central office equip. installer
    dave that stuff looks nice !

8. spookydave

Hacker, It's time to hit the dirt man. I'll see you guys at the beach tomorrow.

9. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    Sweet!

Very cool. It's great how you're able to take what you do and apply it to your passion for mtb riding.:clap: