Anyone broken a bone here?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by BFloFoxRider., Feb 12, 2008.

1. Lor

Lor New Member

special ed teacher
    Yup!

-Broken navicular (skating) 18yrs.
    -" tibia or fibula (non) weight one?? 30yrs. (mx)
    -10 weeks later broken tib/ fib w/ emergency surgery (mx) 2 plates, 8 screws Titanium!
    -2005 Whistler (mtb) Crack addict claimed my tibial plateau in 4 pieces.

***This doesn't mention the many broken fingers and toes as those don't count just ask the doctor.

Moral of the story "Don't get hurt, it stinks"

Yup!

-Broken wrist, navicular (skating) 18yrs.
    -Leg, " tibia or fibula (non) weight one?? 30yrs. (mx)
    -Leg, 10 weeks later broken tib/ fib w/ emergency surgery (mx) 2 plates, 8 screws Titanium!
    -Leg2005 Whistler (mtb) Crack addict claimed my tibial plateau in 4 pieces. All the same leg. It's full of titanium

***This doesn't mention the many broken fingers and toes as those don't count just ask the doctor.

Moral of the story "Don't get hurt, it stinks"

2. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I don't want to talk about it. I feel sick just being in this thread.
    Good thing I have no spleen. Broke bones Yes many.

3. Carbon Carrie

Carbon Carrie crashed....cameback

Brand new EMT-B
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh prior to bone bust'n I pulled the joints apart....
    Gymnastic Dislocate right elbow '75 / major pain 10
    Gymnastic Dislocate both elbows -'76 / major pain 10
    Repair collateral ligaments rt elbow '77 / easy 3
    Tommy John reconstruction lt elbow '02 /after 10 hours of barfing from anathesia - easy 3
    MtnBk Mason III Comminuted Rt Radial head (blow apart head into many pieces) '07 3 screws in, 3 screws out /easy 3 go figure bones don't hurt compared to tissue.

I am 9 months post explosion of bone and riding at full arm strength...just a couple chicken feathers here and there. Dr Burdi at Community is a good fixer upper.

4. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

Knee

Hand and thumb

Shoulder

nose

In order of really bad to bad.

5. papisimo11

papisimo11 I Support Darwin

Snapped my right femoral neck(right femur basically). I actually didn't think it was broken. So I rode home. Hurt real badly, more like it burned from the inside. 7 out of 10.
    In retrospect, the break didn't hurt that badly. It was the 3 four inch ti screws to secure the neck and ball to the femur is what did it to me.
    That was an 11 out of 10.
    paz afuera

6. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Broke Collarbone
    Broke right foot(didn't know it was broken and played soccer on it for 3 weeks as a kid)
    Broke right hand(index and middle finger knuckle)
    Broke left foot
    Shattered carples in left wrist
    Broke right scaffoid(thumb to wrist...didn't know it was broken for 2 yrs and just had surgery to screw it back together)

None of the above hurt very much if at all..

BUT when they took a piece of bone out of my hip to add to my scaffoid....that HURT LIKE A MO FO!!!!!! I couldn't walk for 3 days and still today (6 months later) have discomfort...

basically pain is relative to the individual...some people have a higher threshold

7. agenthaas

agenthaas Rockin' the Suburbs

Graphic Designer
    I had a hairline fracture to my right ankle back in the early 90's, doing some aggressive inline skating (i.e. rollerblading). Not much pain at all, just swollen. I'll give it a 2 on the pain scale.
    Broke my right wrist a few years later skateboarding. Hurt worse than my ankle. 5.
    I've broken/dislocated nearly all my fingers playing various sports throughout the years. Those hurt worse than anything else...but for a short amount of time.

Luckily I haven't had any injuries mountain biking. :bang: I'm relatively new to the sport, so give it some time. Hopefully not though! :-k

8. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    Collar Bone - 4

I broke my right collar bone on an OTB crash riding Stairsteps in Laguna. The initial impact hurt pretty good, but overall I would rate it as a 4 compared to other pain I experienced. Below is my barometer:

Root canal - 1
    Kicked in the nuts - 2
    Ripping off a giant scab in a crash - 3
    Infected broken toe - 3
    Broken foot - 4
    Abdominal pain caused by rotavirus - 7

That's all I can really remember at this point. I would say the pain from my broken bones is more mental: 1) from the frustration it causes not being as mobile or from being in a constant state of pain; 2) from overcoming the sense of fear it brings going full tilt into the very situation that caused it (like a rock garden)

9. TylerSkyler

TylerSkyler New Member

nooot
    um i broke my wrist 3 times, my nose, and my finger. the finger hurt reeeaaally bad and i had to have surgery on it :?:. My nose didnt hurt too bad at all like a 3 on the pain scale. but the wrist, all three time, didnt hurt much at all like a 2 on the pain scale. One time i went like three days with a broken wrist and didn't even know until i finally decided to get it checked:)

hahaha dude i used to rollerblade too. it was actually a huge part of my life until i started mountain biking :lol:

10. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Fractured heal: 7/10. The initial pain was very unpleasant but wasn't too bad. It hurt continuously for about a month though. That sucked.

Kidney Stone: Off the charts. As mentioned before, I know it's not a broken bone, but that was awful pain. I wanted to die. The Emergency Room doc said he treated a guy once for a kidney stone and the guy said he had been shot in the leg in the past and the kidney stone pain was worse. They gave me Dilaudid for the pain and I promptly passed out. I dealt with it for about 6 hours before I could get to the Emergency Room though. I shudder at the thought of having to go through that again.

11. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    2 broken wrist from a ten foot fall non bike Pain 7
    5 front teeth knocked (at the gums) out and broken nose same accident Pain 10 Teeth are bone so it counts.
    5 times broken right ankle/foot, torn tendons skateboarding pain 2 after the 4th time
    1 Broken collar bone
    2 or three broken ribs mountain biking Pain 9
    I think that is it, as best I recall. Hopefully no more.

12. tekknics12

tekknics12 New Member

I'm a designer in the Apparel and action sports In
    Broken Collar Bone - Hurt when walking around only 4 scale
    Broken Knee Cap - Hurt when walking... 6 scale
    Broken Fingers - Hurt when writing.. 4 scale
    Broken Arm - Hurt like I wanted to Die..but I was only 12 at the time..9 scale!

All broken bones hurt in the first 24 hours the most I think.....after that it calms down a bit..
    broken bones suck in general because it means you can't ride or do sh!t for at least 1 month...

13. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Lets see if I remember them all:

4 years old, car accident, broken collar bone
    6 years old, chasing a lizard tried to jump up on to a brick wall, and the top cap was lose, I pulled it onto my head, also first concussion, skull fracture.
    7 years old broken wrist, skateboard with metal wheels.
    7 years old, going down the Newport Beach Pier when it was still all wood on a sled with wheels, it was called a flexie, broken tibia and second concussion
    8 or 9 went down a hill in a shopping cart, my cousins thought it'd be funny to let me go. Broken collar bone and skull fracture, bunch of stitches.
    10 years old, got hit by a car under the arches on PCH. Broken arm, but got a new bike!
    12 years old, took up boxing and preceded to get my nose broke in about the first couple of weeks.
    13 years old broke every finger in my left hand when a friends wife slammed the car door on my hand. Worse part was the door wouldn't open after it closed on my hand. It took the fire dept more then an hour to get my hand out.
    15 years old. Got jumped in Stanton and clobbered with a lug wrench, skull fracture and another concussion.
    15 years old Lived in a foster home in So Central LA and got my arse handed to me everyday for 6 months, no broken bones but a lot of blood was spilt, almost all mine.
    16 ice skating broken wrist
    16 car accident broken ankle
    16 surfing broken nose and another concussion
    17 motorcycle accident broken wrist, broken arm,dislocated shoulder
    17 attitude adjustment dislocated jaw, skull fracture.
    17 Stabbed in my arm.
    18 OC 's finest thought they'd like to see how far back they could bend the smart ass kids arm back before it popped. It popped, dislocated. Sat in the hole for 5 days then they fixed it, the most pain I've ever been in.
    18 Motorcycle accident, two broken wrists, broken leg, broken knee, third degree burns,concussion, worst accident so far.
    19 Jumped in Santa Ana, broken nose, and jaw, busted teeth, and bruised ribs.
    20 was a good year, nothing to report
    21 Motorcycle accident-dirt. Broke wrist and tailbone. Compressed to lower vertabrea, very painful.
    23 Near drowning, don't recall what happened but they pulled me out of the surf and I was not breathing. While I was in the hospital I got pnemonia and had 28 stitches to the back of my head. Obviously someone had surfed onto my head.
    27 last moto accident. Sitting at a light a lady ran into me from behind, knocked me out cold. Broken collar bone and whiplash. This still hurts a lot today.
    33 work accident walked into a fork from a forklift, skull fracture, and yep another concussion.
    44 first mountain bike injury, busted rib.
    44 busted finger mountain biking
    44 another broken rib

and that's about it. I know I've missed a few, but you get the idea. I'm very lucky to be alive. I'm not going to bother with the stitches part.

14. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    I am up to 37 or so...

8 Broken Metatarsals 3
    2 Broken Noses 4
    Broken Left arm (2 bones) 5
    4 Broken Knuckles 2
    5 broken small bones in foot 4
    Broken & Dislocated Left shoulder 5
    Broken A/C joint 5
    Broken Scapula 6
    Broken Hip 6
    12 broken ribs 5
    1 Fractured head 4

Major Tissue damage hurts worse than bone breakage and Nerve Damage (and nerves growing back) trumps everything. Pain is very subjective, tho.

By the way: Holy crap Mike!

15. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    My Carnage History...

... Lets see,
    5 broken wrists (pool skating)
    4 broken metatarsels (all but the big toe) (MX)
    3 torn knee ligaments (MX)
    2 concussions (1 Crip by KO and 1 MX crash)
    1 broken kneecap (MX)
    1 dislocated shoulder (foolishness)

[​IMG]
    ... more to come!
    F'nA! Painfreak... get some rest bro! Maybe take up golf or badmitten!

16. Liquid55

Liquid55 New Member

Ballistic Missile Defense
    broken clavicle has been the only thing i broke it was painful, but not nearly as painful as when Sarah broke my heart in high school.

17. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    So you are held together by duct tape?

Whats funny, when I was a kid, I stuck my hand up a gum ball machine and could not get it out. Fire dept came thinking hand was broken and stuck. The fire man says let go of the gum ball and my hand came out. My mom broke my ass shortly there after.:)

18. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    I remember when I folded my wrist back to my elbow quite clearly. There were two guys with me I sent one to fetch the truck, the other to find a stick while I dug out the ace bandage. All told 11 pieces, two Ti plates and a shitload of screws.

But to be fair this is a MTB thread, and like most of the other playmates on here I like to get dirty. Take that roadies.

19. OldDogDan

OldDogDan Member

BTW, I thought getting my broken wrist set was way worse than breaking it -- I couldn't believe the procedure was to just yank it straight -- I thought that went out with the Civil War -- not even a shot of whiskey or bullet to bite on.

20. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Some day I'd like to get a full-body scan or x-ray and have someone identify the things I've broken that were never diagnosed. I'm pretty sure there have been quite a few - most recently something in my thumb or wrist a few months ago after an OTB at Aliso. Pretty sure I broke a couple ribs once, but I just wheezed my way around for 6 or 8 weeks.

Confirmed breaks:
    2 toes
    Ring finger on right hand
    Left patella (kneecap)
    Sacrum (connects spine to pelvis)
    2 vertebrae (with bonus ruptured disc)

I had oral surgery last week that got infected. The pain last night was the worst I've felt since the ER mis-diagnosed the fractured vertebrae and had me try to walk out under my own power. That was brief, but for a few moments I truly believe I felt something every bit as bad as women feel during childbirth.

Considering a life that's included lots of cycling, water & snow skiing, motocross, skateboarding, running & triathlons, the usual kid sports, and miscellaneous other idiocy, I'd say I've been pretty luck. Besides, as a band once sang, "You should wear with pride the scars on your skin to remember the adventures and the places you've been."