Anyone broken a bone here?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by BFloFoxRider., Feb 12, 2008.

1. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    im sure many of you have broken a bone already. If so, what bone(s) have you broke(n) and how bad did it hurt on a scale of 1-10?
    im curious after seeing that guy break his wrist... My grandma said when she got bucked from her horse and broke her wrist, she barely felt it, and there was really no pain but the way it looked made her queesy. So again, what bone and how bad did it hurt?
    the closest ive come to breaking something is tearing ligaments twice in my finger which i heard is supposed to hurt worse than breaking it:?:

2. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

collar bone - sucked ass! stops hurting within the hour......
    busted knee cap / torn patella/femoral ligament.... 8 weeks without bending your knee blows. Didnt hurt though

3. davidB

davidB Active Member

broken wrist - hurt for hours until my mom gave in and took me to the doc. (parents who say take some medicine and sleep on it FTW) I can still imagine the sharp pain.

I compare that to my busted knee - tore the cartilage, sprained a ligament, and tore another - and it didn't hurt as much, but the surgery did. Actually I dont remember much initial pain from this.

that said, I get chills every time I hear of someone breaking their collarbone. Something about it just scares me.

4. danlorek

danlorek New Member

just last year i broke

fractured my hand and chip-fractured my wrist -swollen and sore, more like a bruise... back on the bike in 4 weeks or so

my other hand -i was at noble and had to finish riding down (then up!) at first my hand was sore and i could feel the clicking and it progressively got more painful... back on the bike in about 5 weeks

L1, L2, L3 vertabrae -basically put my body into shock the pain was so high. had to get put on iv pain killers and muscle relaxers in trauma.... roadbiked in about 3 months

5. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Here goes.......

Fractured right collarbone twice - both times playng football - 6

Broken nose 4 times - 3 playing football, 1 during an attitude addjustment - 5

Broke and dislocated left hand pinky - football - 8

Boxer's breaks, numorus times, both hands - attitude addjustments - 4.5 to 6

Fractured right wrist - MTBing - 4 (didn't know for the first 3 weeks that it was broke)

Fractured radial head left elbow - MTBing - 6

Cracked ribs, numorus times - football & MTBing - 5 to 6 for long periods of time, jumps to 10 when sneezing.

Fractured heel bone - MTBing - 8

It dosn't count as a broken bone, but I've had a kidney stone, and it was off the scale.

I already had a high pain tollerance, and the kidney stone raised it 5 times. Now, if it dosn't feel like a kidney stone, it dosn't hurt. (not too bad anyways):lol:

6. kanga

kanga Active Member

I've got some wood handy and ready to knock on, so here goes:

Nose: Attempting to break the club record for a standing gainer back somersault (gymnastics) 16 years old. Landed on my face 6' in front of launch. Yeah it hurt, but I finished training that day and didn't miss a day.

That's it...

Two dislocated fingers, thumb (mountain biking), Ring Finger (river-boarding). They both hurt way worse than the broken nose, and still haven't healed right 18 months, and 10 years later, respectively.

That's really it...

Now to knock on that wood for a few minutes :lol:

7. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    i have also heard it hurts more to fracture or ship than to have a clean break :?:

8. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Middle left toe but it wasn't biking related. It was during a time when I was really into martial arts in college.

9. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

My list

Index finger (ended my pitching days)
    Left wrist
    Right wrist
    Colar bone
    Bone in lower spine

10. BRpunkRock

BRpunkRock New Member

Aerospace Technician
    Fractured the growth plate in my left ankle in third grade, hurt was about a 3 was still able to kinda walk on it.

Broke my left thumb playing baseball tagging a guy out , hurt was like a 5 but when they set it back in place it was a 10 plus.

broke my left pinky knuckle punching a guy in the face, did not feel it till after, was about a 7 later.

Then my last was a fractured Humorous which happened in a football game my senior year, pain was 5 just enough to keep me from going back in but I waited 3 days before going to the Doctor.

11. silverspot

silverspot Go that way...

1. Broken collarbone - MTB
    - Didn't hurt much when I broke it (+3) but it sure hurt if I moved wrong while it was healing back up (+8.0)
    2. Broken hand - MTB
    - Luckily it was my left hand. Hurt fairly bad (+7). Broke it 2 weeks before I was going on an Alaskan fishing trip. Nothing a wrist brace couldn't handle.
    3. Messed up shoulder (possibly fractured but don't really know since I never had it x-rayed) - MTB
    - went OTB on chiquito. Was able to ride out but was off the bike for about 3 weeks after. Didn't hurt too bad when it happened (+4).

I never broke anything until I got into MTBing.

12. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    2 ribs - pain level 7 (jsut dont sneeze, laugh or cough)
    Ulna and Radius - pain level 8 (dont move your arm)
    Radial neck - pain level 6

Physical therapy - pain level 8.5 !!

13. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Broken left Tibia; split in half and was sticking out of the skin. Injured it in the water at the beach @ the age of 9. Almost drowned because I couldn't move and family on the beach thought I was playing around. Still remember them all looking at me, pointing and laughing as I cried for help. Thank God for my uncle who quickly realized this was no joke and came dragged my broken arss out of the water. Stuck in a cast from toe to hip for 3 months during the peak of summer. Talk about itching and not being able to do a thing about it.

Broke both ankles. 6-8 weeks recovery. No surgery required. both Football injuries in high school.

Broken 3 ribs. Took a helmet just below the pads during football practice and another time broke 2 ribs during weight training doing dead lifts.

Not a break, per say but I had a severe spinal cord injury in 2003 that left me paralyzed below the waist. Severe nerve pinch from falls off the bike which was caused by my L4-L5 discs to bulge so badly that they infringed into my spinal canal and almost severed my Cauda Equina nerve system. If not for my amazingly gifted Neurosurgeon performing a 4 hour operation that same evening @ 11pm, I would've been screwed and left in a wheel chair for the rest of my life. 3 week hospital stay, 3 months on a walker and 6 months @ home very slowly trying to recover put things in perspective for me. The scariest part was that no doctor really knew of the outcome and there was lots of wait and see going on. Very discouraging and depressing! To this day, I've still only re-gained about 40% strength of my calves and ankle muscles. My Medial and Lateral Plantars are very weak and it's very hard to stand on the balls of my feet. So much for my ballet career! Per my neurosurgoen, no more doing anything stupid and if I am going to ride a bike, to avoid falling at all cost. On a mountain bike, I believe that's an oxymoron but I do get the gist of what he was trying to say. Walk it and ride another day vs. ride it and possibly be riding a wheel chair for the rest of my life. I'm one the fortunate few who made a pretty good recovery from such a serious spinal cord injury. When I look at it that way, I'm happy with my recovery. Simple realizations!

14. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Greenstick fracture of wrist
    Snapped radius & ulna, with one of the bones compound (probably my most painful bone break)
    Broken femur at hip (fixed with plate, screws and pin into femur head)
    Broken collar bone (plate & screws)

But more painful than any of my bone breaks was when I dislocated my shoulder in Moab. My right knee used to pop out with great regularity back in my skater days too, and that really hurt like a bastidge.

Yay! Vacation in Moab!!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008
  15. 26'er Zen Master

26'er Zen Master S.F.B

Doggie dentals
    Home Page:
    31 broken bones and no longer counting...after 30 i stopped counting toes and fingers. I was a clumsy kid. I have broken my wrists my leg, fingers, toes, all hurt but some worse than others i think compounbd fractures are the worse but nothing has ever hurt as much as when i stuck a dremel thru my hand and had to hold it there for 7.5 hours while i waited for surgery

16. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Those do hurt like a mofo! I took a dive off the side of a trail and landed shoulder and helmet first from about 6-8 feet up back in 2001. To this day, I can't sleep on my right shoulder. Dislocated shoulders are a big biatch and hurt like a mofo forever!
    I bet your fall in Moab was mostly the fault of Tony E. and his Joker design and not your choice of lines. That damn Tony get us on the way in and out! :lol:

Wow, talk about the walking wounded. Ouch!
    Those injuries are going to haunt you as you get older. Especially during the cold winter months. GLTY! ;)

Damn, I should have figured you were a gymnast in your youth. Those little fockers are very strong! That explains why you're the Windsprite that you are today. :lol:

17. thebush

thebush DW vs. CVA

When I was blessed with my first stone I went to grab on to something and ended up pulling a bookcase on top of myself. #-o :lol:

Kidney stone and infected teeth with nerve exposure with raise anyones pain tolerance levels.

18. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    Broken collarbone, OTB on motorcycle racing desert when I ran through a solid puckerbush... about a 5 or 6

Cracked ribs. twice... once in a toyota 4x4 rollover, the other on a OTB adventure up at Keyesville last November, so that one is fresh in my mind. No immediate pain, I was pretty stoked the whole ride down, but later that night, around 2 AM when I was trying to sleep and rolled over on my right side... about a 7 on the pain factor... I had 7 weeks of pain every time I did a roll over in bed, a sneeze, a cough, a laugh or to get up to pee several times at night getting out of bed to remind me of how I blew that last 18" vert drop on a 10 foot granite boulder into the sugar sand pit.

Worst pain for me was doing construction work, blowing out my lower back a few times, framing with an air nailer and a 16d vinyl sinker hitting a knot, deflecting and going into my thigh about 2 3/4 inches. Oh yeah, and getting shot in the ass and back as a kid with rock salt buckshot for trespassing. Now that hurt.

19. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    One time, There was this guy talking trash about one of my friends...

Oh, you meant in my own body. :p :D :p :D

No. The bones don't break, they just get all of the soft connective tissue twisted off of themselves so that it never heals right, and is prone to re-injury. The worst is my un-repaired grade 4 AC separation.

20. steviebfromtheoc

steviebfromtheoc steviebfromtheoc

self employed
    triple fractured ankle on 04/30/07 at Fontana practicing for the nationals (dh vet pro) Its doing alot better , still swollen , havent been on my DH bike since the accident , doing lots of stationary bike and occasional rides on my heckler , mainly the fully loop. I have a scheduled surgery next year in May to remove the steel plates and screws , After seeing the carnage this weekend at the Tuk , I really hope everyone wears the necessary gear , accidents happen in this sport , they can catch you right when you think your rollin