Anybody used Avid BB7 Mech Disc Brakes?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by pshloss, Feb 15, 2006.

1. pshloss

pshloss New Member

I'm pretty fed up :mad: with my 6 inch Hayes hydraulics and am thinking of switching. Any opinions?

2. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I tried them very briefly on an Ellsworth (dont ask). Good power but sort of an on/off feel. Great brake for the money though. Adjustability and reliability are supposed to be real good.

By any chance did you have the hayes hxf9's?

3. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    I have Avid Mechanicals with 6 in. Rotors and I love them. I wish they would have just a little more modulation but their nice breaks.

4. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    Funny you mention that cuz DINO hates his Hayes and replaced them with something, but thats his story...

I like my 6inch Avid Mechs. I actually think they have great modulation atleast compared to XT hyrdros that I used on CalEpics Epic.

Once you get em adjusted properly there really nice. I just switched back to stock pads and noticed a huge power decrease along with squealing. I think I had ebc are pads are something like that before.

5. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Kippie is correct, after 2 years of frustrations with my Hayes HFX-9's I finally bought some new Avid Juicy 5's, 185mm. After only doing one ride on them, I am in love. My Hayes were so bad, I seriously wonder how I managed to make it down the trails we ride without any serious incident. The pads never felt right, the pistons never retracted fully, i was always having rotor-rub issues with them.

If I were you I'd go with the Avid Mechanicals over the Hayes HFX-9's. If you can save a little more, get some Avid Juicy 5's, I got mine at PRICEPOINT.COM for $124.99 each.

6. dukethenuke

dukethenuke Faster than you

Sales
    Home Page:
    go with hydraulic brakes, and you will never regret it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2006
  7. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I got rid of my hxf9's for El Caminos. Still hayes but a world of difference.

8. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

I ride Avid Mechs and love them. Easy to set up and maintain.
    I think that you get the best modulation using Avid levers. The adjustability is key.
    I started off on a pair of RST disc brakes that were criminally bad.
    The change to Avids was amazing. Improved my riding instantly.

9. kevinator

kevinator Staying hydrated

I've used Avid mechanicals (160mm on hardtails and full-suspension) for the past 5 years, and would never go back. The suckers will put you OTB if you're heavy on the brakes. IMO, you simply can't beat the setup and adjustment. More shifter/brake levers options too. No more mineral oil/DOT5 for me!

10. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Hydros are the way to go, better modulation, better feel and less weight. The Avid mechs are boat anchors, and you'll constantly have to fiddle with the pad adjustment knobs. Do they work well, yeah....but hydros are better in every way imo. I'd look into some Juicy's or Hope hydros.

11. flyingmonkey

flyingmonkey Guest

what's the problem people are having with hayes? since "fed up" doesn't really explain any problem (1st post)
    I have three sets and no problems other than crashing into trees and one fence (Blowhard trail in Brianhead,UT) and breaking (no pun intended) the housing that holds the master cylinder.(seems to be common, solution don't wrench on the mounting hadrware on shifters or brakes) the perfromance/ drag has never been an issue. however as i've read some reviews this model from hayes is rated at 4th or 5th from top manufacturers. my philosophy is if you can get a deal...get it.

12. TurboJared

TurboJared Overstimulated

Affiliate Program Manager
    Home Page:
    I have been using the same avid mechanicals for 5 years. All I have ever had to do is adjust for pad wear, and no matter ho tech savvy you are mechanicals are way easier to fiddle with when in a situation on the trail.

13. boboso

boboso Getting back on the bike.

Project Manager
    Have had (in the following order), Hayes OEM Hydros circa 1999, Hope Minis, Avid BB7, and now (getting installed) Magura Marta hydros. The Avids were purchased due to price and the Hope rear caliper exploding on Stair Steps (spilt). The Avids worked fantastic, but I missed the hydro feel and modulation. The Avids are great brakes, though a little heavy but I could lose more grams by not drinking one more beer. The set up and ease of tweaking cannot be beat, better yet with Avid levers such as SLs which adds more adjustments. These are going on my next SS build up.

14. pshloss

pshloss New Member

My problems have been, 1) bad master cylinder on rear brake, 2) frequent need for cleaning/lube of pistons in the calipers or they stick and then wear uneven. Trying to do that lube sounds simple, but has been difficult for me. To do it you have to pump out the calipers, lube, then push back in. The pushing back in is the tricky part, and I damaged the calipers, which are soft plastic, twice trying this out of about three attempts. At that point, the brake has to be rebuilt and bled. Much bigger job, and messy. Then I found out the rotors are worn out and they are really expensive, at least Hayes ones. So...I was fed up. :mad: On the other hand when they worked, they were nice...

The good news is I did buy BB-7s at Performance for $80 each. Used them on VQ and they were great! :D So far so good. I do think I will re-run the rear cable with a full housing and I might get the Avid levers, too.

15. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Yeah Pete the Avid speed dial levers are almost a must when using the mechanical brakes, they really let you dial in the feel of the brakes and the modulation better.

16. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    How do the BB7's fare with XTR levers? I'm still running my trusty XTR M951 integrated 8 speed shifters. When I finally upgrade to disc hubs, I'll be running BB7's so I don't have to upgrade shifters / levers at the same time.

17. Krunk

Krunk New Member

ATM Tech...and no i can't get you cash.
    i happen to have Hayes HFX-9's with no problems ,new brake squeal ? you just have to break them in correctly even used brakes that start to squeal you can get rid of. Has nothing to due with the product ...most likely user error. try some anti-size on the back of the pad next time ;) ...used to be an ase certified mechanic for 5years this works well on my bike on cars to ! oh ya when you push back the piston try using a closed box end wrench.

18. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    I have some Avid Mechs. for sale

I've used them for a couple years but they still work awesome. Rotors are both 6inches. Pads are two weeks old. Someone make me an offer!

Kipp

19. singleSSpeedster

singleSSpeedster Rolling on 29" dubs!

check your private messages, Mr XC Race Supastar 8)

20. erider

erider New Member

I ran the BB7 with first the XTR 952 combo paddle shifters and worked great. I have since switched to the new XTR 961 dual shifter combo to run the Avids since the Shimano hydraulic brakes don't appear to have fine tuning adjustments available. You won't be dissappointed with the switch to disc brakes, especially with the Avids.