Any word on Chino Hills?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by ducatirider2, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC
    That's great news. Northridge is my favorite at CHSP. Thanks for the info.

2. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:13 AM
    To: Harris,Nancy D
    Cc: 'Eric Johnson'
    Subject: RE: Scheduled Trailwork

Based on Kelly's email and my conversation with her she is working on a solution to fix the problem. I didn't read or hear anything about a permanent closure. She has worked wonders as the new Park Superintendent finding funds to fix problems just like this. It is true that funding is an issue and we'll know more when Governor Brown's budget is or isn't passed where the funding situation will land. In the meantime, there are ways to get involved through the Trail Days and on Earth Day at the Park (April 16) we will be working on a project at the new Discovery Center.

Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:04 AM
    To: 'Melanie Schlotterbeck'
    Cc: 'Eric Johnson'

There seems to be some confusion as to whether or not the trail was to be permanently closed or closed for repairs only. With all of the budget cuts and lack of funds, many people assume that there is no money allotted for necessary repairs.

3. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

You cant hike a bike faster than I can ride

:lol:

4. denmother

Trailwork Update

Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:04 PM
    To: 'Melanie Schlotterbeck'; Harris,Nancy D
    Cc: John Clagett

Nancy,

We’ve talked with State Parks about doing a trail maintenance day this spring, but we haven’t yet settled on a day. As soon as we come up with something we will let everyone know.

Thanks for your interest and I hope to see you soon.

Eric Johnson
    Puente-Chino Hills Task Force of the Sierra Club
    [email protected]

5. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    And with that, i rescind my laughter from the previous post.

The last thing i was expecting was a timely post from them regarding trailwork; I'm happily surprised to see this.

6. thebeast64

thebeast64 Member

and if he keeps on breaking his seat, thats all he'll be doing :lol: :lol:

7. denmother

;) I figured I would plug along and see if it got me anywhere, I was surprised also (pleasantly).

8. freewheeler

freewheeler Looking for new trails

I have been in contact with SHARE as well and they are working w/ CH Interpretive Assoc. to schedule a trail maintenance day. The frustrating thing to me is trail maint. days are so infrequent and have involved things like repairing a bridge, while existing singletrack such as E. Fenceline remains unrideable due to lack of maintenance. Not to say that bridge repair work isn't needed, but in another month, raptor, sidewinder and skully will be choked w/ grass/weeds and become unrideable until trail maint. occurs. According to SHARE, they want to do more trail maint., but getting approval from CHSP has proved difficult in the past. Here's hoping the new park superintendent will work with us to make some positive changes.

9. sandiegan

sandiegan New Member

It is sad the state most of CH trails are in. Even if they are not the most challenging, bane ridge, faultline and others offer a fun workout. East fenceline just disappears about a third of the way in from the top of Bane. I'll be there if there is an actual trail maintenance day!

10. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:

IMO some of the lack of maintenance is not bad. To me it is good that Northridge slowly becomes a singletrack. East Fenceline just does not see enough bike traffic to keep it open. Years back I used to ride East Fenceline on a regular basis and although it was a major mustard-grasswack it remained ridable. Just start riding East Fenceline the trail is still there you just need some Lewis and Clark skills.

Dean

11. bobdivot

bobdivot Slightly Off Camber

Saw the ranger putting up the sign at the base of Northridge a couple of weeks ago. Just got back from a ride and the sign is gone, guess somebody didn't like it. As stated it's in outstanding shape very fast, hard packed, sticky in some spots and the single track feel is kinda cool.

Telegraph is a little different. Last year they graded it with a tracked dozer and with little rain after that it sucked and was almost unrideable all summer. Looks like they used a wheeled dozer this year and with the rains it's in great shape, real fast coming down. It also looks like they used weed killer?? on it the second half to 4C. haven't seen that before. Not real attractive but if it keeps them from plowing it again.

12. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    Bobdivot,

I just got back, too. But I climbed NR to McDurmont and came back down. Maybe I passed you?

13. bobdivot

bobdivot Slightly Off Camber

Prob not, went up Northridge to the end through the gates down to 4C - Tele down to Sycamore back up to NR then down. Garage to garage 2:20.

There was another runner event but they kept to lower Tele and Southridge

14. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Northridge Is so nice right now....get out and ride it people or the plants are going to take over

15. sandiegan

sandiegan New Member

Someone will have to show me where the trail goes. I rode the grasswack 1/3rd of the way in or so recently, and was determined to see the whole thing through. However, the trail literally disappears and dumps you into a field of mustard seed and grass with zero sign of where the trail used to be. I know the trail is supposed to dump out at the bottom of Bane Canyon Road / Lower Aliso area, but getting there from that point I was at to the end without having ridden it before it isn't possible. I even had a map with me :lol::?:

16. berringer

berringer Weekday Rider!

Realtor
    Home Page:
    Chino Hills

I rode Chino Hills today, enter from Elinvar, this is my back yard, I know it like the back of my hand.

Most of the trails are being over grown due to lack of use. I road Sidewinder, Bane ridge, lower aliso and other trails not mark on any map. Hope to see some maintenance on these trails before they completely disappears for the summer.

17. Punk Sanders

Punk Sanders Member

shipping/receiving clerk-no reality tv show deal y
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=10510

Geoladders had one route with East Fenceline on it. I rode it the year before the fire. It is the best trail in CHSP. My buddy AJ and I went exploring from the North entry point yesterday at 5pm. It wasn't part of the ride plan. We just wanted to look down the hill and scope it out. Then I decided to ride down a bit and he followed. We ended up all the way down to where it curves South. Someone has been doing some clearing but it was still pretty rough. A few guys with some tools could totally restore this trail. Unfortunately I didn't bring a camera. It was a long HAB back out, but worth it. Exploring made me feel like a kid again. I plan to come back and do the whole length of it, with my camera of course. And maybe a machete.

18. 0 mph

0 mph More waves than time~

Account Manager
    Home Page:
    Rode from Carbon Cyn Park > Telegraph Cyn Rd Trail > 4 Corner > North Ridge > back to Carbon Cyn Park on Sunday morning 4/10/11. Started riding from 7:30am ended at 10:00am back to Carbon Cyn Park total distance 14 miles duration 2 hr 30 mins with breaks. No closures....only near the base of (West) North Ridge begins from Carbon Cyn Park, a short section of erosion still there. Descending on North Ridge > Carbon Cyn Park, watch out for fellow riders and hikers coming up (West) North Ridge from Carbon Cyn Park after 9am. This was my first time descending down on North Ridge...it was a RUSH !

19. Duke

Duke New Member

musician/composer/piano teacher/composition teache

Anyone know the current conditions for Raptor Ridge and Bovinian Delight? Has the mustard taken over the trail yet or is it rideable?

20. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    I rode all those on Sunday. Interestingly, there is very little mustard. The grass, however, is knee-high and rather thick in areas. I think the wet winter promoted the growth of grass, which choked out the mustard. Overall, it's very rideable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.