Any word on Chino Hills?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by ducatirider2, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    Bababooey

2. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    I'm sure he'll get right on this just as soon as he's done building Stripper Pole Park! ;)

shitty

3. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

I agree. It seems pretty obvious and unfortunate. When that registration tax for state parks didn't pass it was inevitable that parks fees would go up (AGAIN) and more cuts would be made.

4. Crazygramma

Crazygramma New Member

medical technologist, retired
    Oooooh! It's one of my regular runs too. I wish it would stay open and just be left to erode and everyone be responsible for themselves to find a way around. Alas, this will never happen in sue happy CA. Too many Americans want everyone else to be responsible for their misjudgments, and accidents. I've traveled to many places around the world and nowhere else are there so many safeguards in questionable terrain. We are the laughingstock of the world in this area. I don't believe there is any money to be had at this time. I would be willing to do trail work for free (or for food!) as I'm sure many others would be also. Warrior's Society does a great job at this. So does Share. There must be others. We need to do more for ourselves and not depend on government to do everything. PLease excuse the rant. Sometimes I can't help myself.

5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Lame, don't care if they can drive their vehicles up there or not but no reason to not let it turn into a singletrack.

Dean

6. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    The closure sign was posted at the west end some time last year. The last I rode North Ridge, it was starting to look like a legitimate single track. If no one rides this, it's going to grow over and disappear.

Access to Bane Ridge was closed last year for the removal of the towers. The park superintendent, whose name escapes me, told me that it would be open by January 1. When last rode there several weeks ago, the access road was still marked as closed. If no one rides the trail, it too, will grow over and be forever lost.

Could it be the goal of the park administrators to just let the trails grow over, so they no longer have to contend with mountain bike riders?

If God was here, he'd tell it to your face, "Man, you're some kind of sinner."
    [youtube]gklM1AiZX0s[/youtube]

7. freewheeler

freewheeler Looking for new trails

We need to mobilize quickly to prevent this from happening. Please take a few minutes to email CHSP. Here's the email address: [email protected]
    Ask them what the public process is and how we as hikers/bikers can get involved to maintain trail access and volunteer our time/effort to maintain this trail. I just sent them an email. Perhaps if they are inundated with emails, it will cause them to rethink things.
    Also, if anyone is a SHARE Member, can someone contact them to get involved?

8. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

We Ride northridge yesterday before they put the sign up and it is in amazing shape....if they close it down it will get overgrown and un rideable in no time. I was amazed how much the plants grew from last time we rode it

9. freewheeler

freewheeler Looking for new trails

I followed up the CHSP superintendent today. She said there was a big misunderstanding and that NR is open and will remain open for users but that in the next several days, a trail advisory sign will be put up warning users of the slide ahead.

That is the best news I've heard today!

She also mentioned she had heard from others on this same issue. So thanks to all who emailed.

10. Steve C

Steve C Team Sausages 2012

Special projects manager

Woooooo. Phuk ya!

Now I can pwn Proraptor up "the wall" like last time.

11. ducatirider2

ducatirider2 Beer talks, people mumble

GM at Ducati/ Triumph Newport Beach, investor at N
    I got an email response back too explaining the same thing. If anyone wants a copy of the email (I'm going to carry one just in case I ever get questioned about riding Northridge), PM me your email address.

12. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Thanks, I just sent them an email.

13. denmother

PM sent

14. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    I am really curious to know the status of Northridge. I spoke with a Ranger about 3 weeks back and she CONFIRMED Northridge is closed. But most know it has been that way even since the landslide (around a year or so). She recognized everyone ignores it; hikers, joggers and moutain bikers alike. My fear was they were going to block it off somehow from the trailheads and the connecting trails.

15. denmother

Did they mention how we go about setting up Trailwork days?

16. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    deleted - i was wrong

17. denmother

Lucy, you got some splainin' to do!!!

18. denmother

Here is the email I received:

Ms. Harris,

Thank you for your concern about North Ridge Trail in Chino Hills State Park. As you may know, North Ridge Trail has suffered extensive weather related damage resulting in a significant “washout”. These circumstances have left the trail with little usable surface in that specific area. I realize the importance of this trail to park visitors and am currently working on a permanent solution to repairing this recurring “washout”. Please understand that I also have a duty to inform park visitors of potential dangers that exist such as this “washout”. Soon, there will be a “Trail Closed Ahead” sign posted at the entry points to North Ridge Trail, advising of the trail condition. At the “washout” it will be posted “Trail Closed” so visitors know that route through the area (where the trail used to go) is closed for use. This does not preclude any visitor from going around the area to pass. It is meant to be a clearly posted advisory of the current trail condition.

It is true that funding creates challenges for completing projects like these, but they are not impossible. I prefer a long term solution to the “washout” condition over a band-aid approach for greater benefit to the park and its visitors. This will take time to be done right. I appreciate your patience and understanding. Chino Hills SP is a beautiful park and deserves to be repaired and maintained with care rather than with a “quick” fix.

You can contact the Chino Hills State Park Interpretive Association to inquire about volunteering in the park www.chinohillsstatepark.org

Sincerely,

Kelly Elliott
    State Park Superintendent
    California State Parks
    Chino Sector
    1879 Jackson Street
    Riverside, CA 92804
    951-789-1278
    951-789-0347 fax

19. Steve C

Steve C Team Sausages 2012

Special projects manager
    Other than the washout, North Ridge is in awesome shape. That trail is great!

I do have a question though. At the top of the trail, where you can drop down to Four Corners, there is a gate. Acording to some geoladders routes you should be able to go through the gate and loop around and back down to Four Corners. Last time we were up there it was closed. Is it open sometimes?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011
  20. denmother

Doing a little more research. Here is the next email I received:

Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:00 AM
    To: Harris,Nancy D
    Cc: 'Eric Johnson' [email protected]
    Subject: RE: Scheduled Trailwork

Hi Nancy,

I have not heard that there are proposed trail closures. North Ridge is closed at the moment due to a significant landslide that has collapsed the trail. The Superintendent is working to get crews out to repair it.

As for volunteer trail maintenance work -- those efforts are already established. Please email Eric Johnson, cc'd on this email, to get involved with those activities. He is one of the coordinators for Trail Maintenance Days.

Thanks,

Melanie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.