Any soccer (EPL) fans here?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by G-Ride, Mar 19, 2008.

1. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

I've been a huge soccer fan since age 9, and have played most of my life. I mostly enjoy the English Premier League - definitely the best and toughest league in the world - but I also follow some of the other Euro leagues like Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland, and of course the Champions League. Not so much MLS, although I did see the Galaxy play Chelsea last summer in Beckham's first match, and I have to say the quality of American soccer has increased tremendously in the last few years. Still a long way to go, though, in a lot of ways.

I have been a Chelsea FC fan since the 94 FA Cup, when they were lowly underdog scrappers. This season it's a tight race, with 3 teams (including Chelsea thank you) virtually tied on points with 8 games left. We're playing Tottenham at 1:00 today. I think I'm taking a "long lunch". Come on you Blues!

2. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    Just In Time For The Manchester United Game!!!

3. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

Of course, I knew someone would throw Man U out there. Come on Bolton! This Sunday is a classic football day. Man U has Liverpool at home, and Chelsea has Arsenal. Which now means my Sunday ride will be in the afternoon.

4. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    There are plenty.....ShinKen most certainly including myself!

5. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    Thanks for the reminder Phil :clap: . I set my dvr to record it while I go for a ride. That way I can watch it and fast forward through the timeouts and commercials....

Wait a minute...... there are no timeouts \\:D/

I'm not terribly partial to any particular team (is that blasphemous?), I just enjoy watching it played at a high level.

Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal are all fun to watch these days.

6. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Been following and playing soccer my whole life. Love watching the EPL and have been a Liverpool fan since the mid 80's. I'm actually going to be in Londoin mid-April and tried to get tix for the Tottenham-Boro game, but it was sold out and the Ticket Brokers are asking for $200/ticket, which I don't think I will ever pay for a sports event. YNWA!!!

7. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Go Man U. I dislike Chelsea less now that the " Special One" is gone. I just can't stand Mourihno for some reason. Manchester United is going to win Champions and Premiere league.

8. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

Chelsea has Arsenal

danngg thats gonna be a great game!!!:beer: Ahh yes Fan here but only like to watch the Euro leagues!! good soccer!! great players!!:clap:

9. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

That is a fair comment. I always thought he ran his mouth with the media too much, but the way he shaped and unified the team, as well has his record while there, has certainly earned my respect.

You have AC Roma in the quarters. I would love to see another 7-1 spanking like last year. To me it looks like it's going to be Man U/Barca and Chelsea/Arsenal in the semis, but I don't think anyone can guarantee anything after that. And in the EPL, don't forget we still have you at home at the end of April. That match will probably decide the league.

Work got too busy....so much for the long lunch. But I'm watching the gamecast on soccernet - CFC 2-1 at the half! Oh, and ManUre is up 2-0, both Ronaldo goals, fyi.

10. audiopablo

audiopablo New Member

Home Page:
    I try to watch as many games as I can on the FSC, but I especially enjoy Spurs or Liverpool games. The EPL review show is also well done and a great watch if I've missed any games. Come World Cup or Euro Cup time, I'm orange all the way.

11. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    Soccer rocks. Unfourtanatly I work on Saturday mornings so I don't get to watch to many games. I try to catch the EPL wrap-up as often as posible. I'm a Man U and Liverpool fan and one of my bro-in-laws is an Arsenal fan. Family get togethers are a blast! Some beer and team bashing! :beer: lol

12. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Oh, man, sooooo bummed I'm missing the Spurs v. Chelsea match right now! 4:4!!! What a game...

audiopablo, I'm with you on both team choices. Liverpool first and foremost and then Spurs for my countryman Berbatov! Hope he doesn't end up w/ ManU in the summer. SAF will have him riding the pine too often w/ so many quality strikers there.

13. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

Oh man what a match that would have been to see. Ended 4-4 with Robbie Keane getting Spurs' equalizer in the 88th minute. At White Hart Lane. What a hero. Sucks for us though. This could have very well given the premiership to Man U, who finished 2-0.

Also....movies. I'm sure you've seen Green Street Hooligans, but how about The Football Factory? Awesome movie.

14. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Those are all good soccer flicks. My wife just bought me "The Miracle Match". It's a pretty cool movie about the USMNT beating England at the '50 World Cup. If any of you guys are interested in kicking the ball around, please let me know. There are pick up games in Ladera on Sundays around 9:30 am at the Cox Sports Park off Crown Valley. I go out there every once in a while.

15. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

Also check out The Firm with Gary Oldman. Made in the 80s, kinda dark, but good. I'll have to check out the one you mentioned, I hadn't heard of it. Thanks for the info on the pickup games. Some friends and I have been talking about that lately, so we might just show up sometime.

16. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

G-ride, check www.laderafc.com for the schedules. I am pretty sure they have the pick up games after their 8 am league games. Used to want you to pay $65 for the years, but last time I went nobody cared about that since they've had slow turnouts lately. Just need to bring a dark and white shirt.

17. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

PM me the dates you will be there. I have friends in London, including one who is a member of Spurs' supporters club, which means a different ticket pool and discounts. My brother is a huge West Ham fan, and he got him good seats for West Ham/Spurs last year when the brokers were charging £100. I think he paid £55 (still a lot). Can't promise anything, but it's worth a shot.

18. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

torres is unstoppable... test on that

19. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Jslow is a ref, f- with him and you get a red card!:lol:

20. agenthaas

agenthaas Rockin' the Suburbs

Graphic Designer
    I'm a big EPL fan. Been a Man U fan since I saw Cantona's Nike commercials when I was a kid playing club soccer. Man U's my club, but I do have to admit I love Arsenal's style of play.