ANOTHER Rider Down!!!

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Dino Brown, Apr 21, 2008.

1. brendagilbert

brendagilbert Beyond the gray sky

Helicopter Buddies

Tell me that the helicopter ride wasn't the most fun you have ever had without laughing! It takes 3 minutes from Chiquita Ridge- and about 2 from where you were to get to Mission Hospital! Its not like in the movies where it goes all sideways, right? You just swoop smoothly on to the roof at Mission- those guys really know what they are doing! Hope you heal faster than anticipated...

2. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    Congrats (seriously!) on the injuries not being too serious. You're in a pile of pain right now, but this too shall pass (and you'll be back out there on the Horse before you know it). Get well soon, Ken.

shud

3. mazda-monkey

mazda-monkey Just a Member

Seems there were many crashes this past weekend. I saw a nasty one on Saturday - Meadows. Then my crew had two pretty good tumbles on lower San Juan.

4. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Hope you get better and hope the little helicopter ride didnt cost a fortune. I guess I will have to wait a lil longer to meet all of the IH gang.

5. grandpa

grandpa swollen member

shop foreman, sheetmetal
    What a bummer Ken! Hopefully you'll heal quick and get back out on the trail.

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Our rescue helicopter was bigger!

Glad it wasn't worse, heal fast!

7. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Whew! Better than expected news! :bang:

Get well soon Kenny! If there is anything you need...... :beer:

P.S.- I expect you (and the kids) to be at the BMX park- NEXT week!

8. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Gowns (mine had blue flowers :lol:), crappy food, but I can't complain. Those people save lives so I'm thankful.

Waldo, you in Lake Forest or Foothill? I'm next to the Walmart plaza. Yeah, the bathroom was super humbling....

Funny, I was telling my GF that weeks ago that I have never been on a helicopter. It's not the way I wanted to go but I will admit it was fun for that short time. It didn't swoop at all. Sort of a straight line shot and very smooth.

:lol::lol: man you are brutal!

Not sure if I can make it by next week. Doctor said I can only apply 25% of my body weight on my left leg.#-o

9. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Hey Ken well it sounds like good news for you no surgery!!! Dude you know it was not you that made the mistake it was the bike. The Horse properly could not handle the G forces you took in that turn.

10. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Wheeeew!

You are lucky my friend:bang:

Get well soon!

11. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Ken - I've been there wife of someone who has had this happen to, but Neils crash was on the road and his breaks were in 3 spots. Please take your time in your recovery! 6 - 8 weeks will be long, real long, but not as long as forever!

Heal up and please let me know if there is anything you many need? Does your girlfriend need some help with the kids while she's nursing you? I am here! Please anything you need ANYTHING!

FWIW: Maddie was seeing a Chiro for some alternative healing when Neil had his crash - He suggested a few things that 100% helped in a healthy and speedy recovery. As a matter of fact when we went for his 5 week check up with his ortho - the ortho was amazed at the pace of Neils recovery. By week 5 He was walking *pretty well* and if you can belive this - The ortho felt no PT was needed due to his remarkable recovery results!

If your interested pm or call and I'll give you the info. Nancy (Denmother) has also had some really fantastic results from these treatments.

Healing vibes from the Adams Family :)

12. Carbon Carrie

Carbon Carrie crashed....cameback

Brand new EMT-B
    BUMMMMER.................just keep thinking, the clock will tick on, and then you will be healed. Just try to be patient and enjoy slothing around, I guess you earned it!! Bruises hurt worse than breaks......so hopefully that's all ya got..............I hope you enjoyed your air-lift!! :)

13. peewee2472

peewee2472 New Member

Get well soon and grab that first place!

14. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    Bro, had I known your slow speed crash on the uphill (if you want to call it that) at the beginner Santa Rosa Plateau ride was a cry for sympathy and attention, I would have given it to you. I didn't realize you would go this far just for a little attention man. ;)

Heal up quick. I'm with SurlyGal. If you need anything just give me a holler. Even if it's just for a good ribbing. I was out for about 6 weeks earlier this year for my knee so I kinda know how you feel.

Oh btw. Where I'm from, if a (Iron)horse bucks it's rider like that, it gets taken back behind the barn if you know what I mean. Just some food for thought.

Duc

15. TrailRider

TrailRider New Member

Software Consultant
    I was right behind Ken when this crash happened. I like to tell the story a little differently though (and I promised him I would tell it this way for a mere 20 bucks).

It was a thing of beauty. Ken was charging the trail like nobody's business. You've never seen such skills in motion. As we approached the 'jump', ken looked back at me with a grin and I new something huge was about to happen. He launched over the jump, literally 5 feet in the air, one arm up and kicking out the back tire. He landed perfectly, an awesome jump indeed. A couple of hikers were near by clapping and chearing as he rode by... it was amazing!

After his landing, he stopped, got off his bike, went to take a swig of agua, and accidently slipped and fell on some slippery dirt, landing on his right side. Now that is bad luck...

The hikers in this story were real... the rest 'may' be slightly exagerated.

I didn't get the name of the hikers, but they were a tremendous help getting the fire dept. up to the trail. Also, a couple of riders showed up and were quite helpful also. Such luck to find such helpful people on a trail when you need them. Many thanks to all of them, whomever they were, for their help.

16. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    Wow 20 bucks for embellishments like that? You can ride with me anytime. I'll have the reputation of a pro class rider in no time. ;) :lol:

17. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...

HAHAHAHAHAHAH LMAO!! :lol: Nice cover Mike! Thanks for the help and picking up my bike!

18. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Update:

I saw the Orthopedic this morning. The good news, I don't need crutches/wheelchair anymore.:) X-Rays and MRI shows a healed bone but I still have a decent size chip in the ball itself. #-oI'm confined to riding a stationary bike, elliptical machine, or a really casual road ride on super flat surfaces for the next 6-12 weeks :)-k8-[an excuse to buy a CX bike??). He explained I need to stretch out the scare tissue in my muscles to allow my body to rid itself of dead blood cells. Thanks for all the support!!:clap:

19. JRD

JRD New Member

Ken, make sure you stay with the rehab program, I blew it off when I busted my ankle and now my foot changes shape every time the weather changes…
    Now I’m a freakin barometer! Take care, I hope to see you on the trails again down the line…
    :beer:

20. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    That's great news Ken. Glad to hear you're on your way to recovery. It sucks to be injured doesn't it?