ANOTHER rescue at santiago oaks!!!!

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by ocdingbat, Jul 1, 2012.

1. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    im listening to the scanner radio....they are rescuing someone off of cactus again!! they are headed to the same spot they had the medivac yesterday! the helicopter just flew over head and they are trying to land the chopper and there are a few different trucks responding including a 4x4 utility.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
  2. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    update: sounds like a horse and rider are involved this time

3. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    sound like the rider may be injured, but he is now walking. the horse sounds like it is still stuck somewhere in the brush face down. they are talking about sedating the horse to rescue him? the chopper is finally landing. yup they just updated, they are going to sedate the horse. they wanna get him on all fours so they can sedate him then throw a harness on him and lift him out. apparently the horse is in the worst position possible.

4. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    how's the horse rider? I've never seen a horse ON Cactus...this is not good for anyone, hiker, biker, equestrian... hope all turns out well.

5. E90JA

E90JA New Member

Crazy, I've never seen a horse on Cactus eiter... it's not exactly the most horse friendly trail. Especially on a Sunday morning when the Oaks is like a Zoo with all the mountian bikers out there. I hope this ends with rider and horse ok.

6. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    ok so i believe i got my stories confused. there are two rescues going on. there is a horse injury at caspers park and it sounds like the owner is ok. I believe the one at oaks is also horse related. they tried landing the chopper again but it was a bad spot. they are now gonna be picking up the "patient" at loma ridge with the chopper. dont know if patient is the rider or what. its hard to distinguish both rescues being that they happen to be at the same time.

7. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    yes hope they are ok who ever they may be

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
  8. stinky180

stinky180 Will make it Reign....

Weird.. I ate it pretty hard on mountain goat yesterday... Hope everyone is ok

9. biknpam

biknpam Member

Loma Ridge... this might be the Cactus that connects Limestone Canyon to Whiting Ranch... I don't believe there is a Loma in SO... Will be interesting to see if the rider is officially in Limestone. I don't believe its open today... Did a sanctioned MTB ride in there yesterday and we found some trail runners poaching...

10. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    i know it was oaks for sure. i live yards from it and the chopper was flying over my house as it searched for a landing spot. they tried landing at the empty lot west of the villa park dam and it was too dusty to land. i then saw it circling again. thats when i kept hearing about loma ridge as an alternative landing spot. I have heard the name "loma ridge" mentioned before during the many fires we have had in this area. Loma might be towards anaheim hills/ weir canyon? im kinda curious now as to where this may be. Saturday there was a rescue at the top of cactus on barham ridge and they were mentioning on the radio the "new incident" was at the top of cactus in the same spot it was on saturday. I rode saturday and saw the chopper land then. I believe they said saturday was a heart attack. im not sure if it was a hiker or mtb'r

11. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

wow, thanks for the play-by-play!! :)

12. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    lol no prob

13. Joalst1

Joalst1 Member

machinist
    Ive had a horse incident on cactus actually...lol costed me a bike

14. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    I bet those trail runners did soo much damage to the landscape. They're ruining it for everyone!!

15. biknpam

biknpam Member

It's not so much about ruining the landscape... what if someone got hurt? It's not an area regularly travelled. Also there are lots of science projects going on that can be interrupted; for instance from Feb. to May the canyon is closed due to raptor mating/nesting. That may mean nothing to you but to those of us who love the wildlife its a big deal if someone interrupts the "festivities". There are lots of reasons areas are closed or offlimits to the public. I was at Big Bear last weekend... at one time downhill bikes were not allowed. Now they were all over the mountain and I was amazed to see so many illegal trails cut into the hillside (and riders flying down them across the legal trails). Come winter and spring, this will cause erosion and damage which means in summer the legal trail may get closed. It's all about a good balance...

16. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    You're funny. Downhill bikes were allowed at Snow Summit for many, many years. It's only been the last few years that they have restrictions in place as to travel/weight/tire size/etc.

17. biknpam

biknpam Member

Hey you are funny too... you understand of course why there are now (actually were) restrictions. Because people can't behave themselves. I predict with all the ilegal trails being cut (I personally counted 4 and my riding was limited to one side of the mountain so they are probably many), those restrictions at Big Bear will probably start being enforced again or maybe not... enjoy it while you can!

18. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Grabs popcorn....

....Not every comment requires a 'response'...

Hope all is well with rescues at the oaks - back to our regularly scheduled program...

19. wheezy

wheezy DH Gorilla

Motion Graphics Artist /3D Artist / Photographer /
    Home Page:
    Had NOTHING to do with the closure to bikes. It was all about insurance. You know, $$$$, just like everything else in the world.

Anyhow. Sure hope all those involved ended up OK, including the horse.

20. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Please don't encourage them : )

Moved to "Rider Down" Forum where it should have been posted in the first place. Please stay on topic!