another new dude

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Pocho, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Pocho

Pocho OldSkool

graphic designer
    hey everyone...I'm another new guy here. I think this is going to be a great resource. I'm an ex road and mountain rider and racer looking to lose some weight and get out in the dirt once again.

Any other fat guys or girls need a riding partner?

2. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

Welcome aboard Pocho.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    We have rides going off all the time. Just keep your eyes open for something that you feel like might be what you want to do and just jump on in. I'm not sure of your fitness level, but the Fully loop is a good place to meet up and to see where you stand. Good place to get comfortable again in the dirt.

Welcome aboard!

4. dazedone

dazedone New Member

Sales
    Welcome!

I just got back in to MTBing after being off for 10 years. I spent the past 4 years losing 110lbs. It was quite a struggle. I started riding again 2 weeks ago since despite running 30-40 miles per week, I stopped losing weight and was stuck at 210 for 2 months. I cut the running down to 15mi/week I have rode about 160 miles in the past 2 weeks and dropped 6 more lbs.

The keys to losing fat is diet (very important), lower intensity cardio, and weight training. I think that is why I stopped losing weight since running is higher intensity, it builds up cardio but does not burn fat. I use a heart rate monitor and when I run, I am at 68-82% of my max heart rate. When I ride, it stays around 55-65% and goes as high as 75% on climbs.

Get yourself a heart rate monitor and keep yourself in the 55-65% range and I think you will see results.

Congrats on getting back into riding. I am having a blast getting back out on the trails. I don't know why I waited 10 years to get back in to it.

-David