Another idiot at the loop

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by nomad, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomad

nomad New Member

truck mechanic
    Yesterday I rode the fully loop & as I went through Blair witch someone had put large tree branches in the path about every 20 to 50 feet there was about 12 of them . so Id ride & drag one off the trail ride a little more drag another one off the trail etc etc .Some one went to a lot of work to mess up some ones day . the first in was right before the ditch . Someone could have really got hurt .So watch out for more of the same . Hopefully who ever did this got it out of there system.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2008
  2. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

I rode the Fullerton Loop Friday night and didn't see this newest vandalism during that ride.

I did, however, see several improvements.

The low-hanging tree in Hiltscher Park was cut down.

The exit onto Euclid (the church hill section) has been diverted so that the trail does not shoot unsuspecting riders directly into street traffic.

The 'bridge' plank in the dam section has been replaced.

Good stuff!

3. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Did you notice the fresh cut trail inside the fence of the reserve? They're creating a dedicated bike trail down the hill to separate us from other users. Hopefully we'll get the side w/ the water bar, but it's pretty cool regardless.

Glad to hear it. Wish I'd seen this earlier, though. Fresh back from a quick lap, I took the long way 'round.

4. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

i can't see them allowing us to cut a trail through the McColl site. it is technically a toxic waste dump after all. My money is on that being an illegal trail (unless of course you've heard this from a reputable source)

Personally, if we are allowed to cut a trail in there, we can build it to be a lot more interesting than a straight shot with waterbars :bang: maybe add a turn, some rocks, or something of that nature

5. FatWhat?

FatWhat? Banned but not forgotten

Damn! my hopes had gotten up. Hopefully it does turn out to be a respectable source.

As far as the idiot putting branches in the way, I wish there was more we could do than bitch about on the internet. Then again awareness leads to action. Maybe someone will slap his friend now that it is realized that it isn't funny, just childish.

6. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Totally legal. Being built by the Parks Department, which is where I got the info. Been up there recently? Gates are installed at the top and bottom of the hill to separate traffic, but aren't yet in use.

7. FatWhat?

FatWhat? Banned but not forgotten

My hope is restored!!!!

So I'm fickle.

8. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

cool! It just seemed odd for them to be building a trail through a waste dump. I guess it worked for southridge, and thats a whole lot worse than McColl... I hope they allow the building of a more interesting trail than what exists now. Even if its just an option to the current, it would be nice to have something a bit more technical without having to drive someplace (i live right by the courthouse). Can't wait to see the renovations :beer:

9. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    We should talk to Bill Bemke about it this stuff on Thursday. He's a totally reliable source.

10. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Actually, the main McColl dump site is now host to a park and a golf course.

11. katonk

katonk .

Wasn't there a big ol' lawsuit that Chevron lost with that and had to pay for the cleanup? Maybe I've confusing it with this whole mess with Save Coyote Hills. With the market the way it is, do they still even want to build all those homes out there? Wacky.

12. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

i thought they closed the golf course because it started getting sludgey, but i guess not.

from the epa site:
    The McColl site is an inactive refinery-waste disposal facility covering approximately 22 acres. The site consists of two distinct areas: the Ramparts Area, which is in the eastern portion of the site and is surrounded by developed property and residences, and the Los Coyotes Area, which is in the western portion and once had a portion of the Los Coyotes Country Club Golf Course overlying it. The Ramparts and Los Coyotes Areas each contain six waste sumps with depths up to 55 feet. Approximately 97,100 cubic yards of contaminated material (72,600 cubic yards of solid waste and 24,500 cubic yards of contaminated soil) is contained in the waste sumps. The waste is primarily an acidic sludge waste generated during the refining process for high octane aviation fuel during the 1940s. Drilling muds were placed over a few of the Ramparts sumps in the early 1950s. The Los Coyotes area was covered with soil in 1960 to build the Los Coyotes Golf Course. In 1968, homes were built in the area. Subsequently, complaints from residents near the site about odors and health problems initiated investigations by local, State, and Federal agencies. The Ramparts area was covered in 1983 by a temporary liner. Tar like waste continues to seep to the surface of the dirt cap. Access to the site is restricted by a fence and a security guard. There are more than 6,700 people living within 3 miles of the site. The distance from the site to the nearest residence is less than 100 feet.

I still find it odd that they're allowing people to DIG a recreational trail through a superfund site. I suppose if they regulate where the trails are going. s'all good i suppose

13. katonk

katonk .

Can anybody find a human readable map of the McColl dump sites?

14. OldDogDan

OldDogDan Member

Putting a trail through it is probably one of the few things you can do with an old waste dump, because efects are calculated on exposure, and you won't be on the trail long. Things like golf courses can be sometimes be "acceptable" too. But no homes or playgrounds! I wouldn't want to live in that house 100ft away.

15. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Another fenced off area of the dump site is in Los Coyotes Regional park, which I think is now called something like Ralph B. Clark regional park. The park is right next to the area of the golf course that also has known dump sites. This part of the golf course is relatively new (15 to 20ish years old?). I remember a lot of that whole area before there were even houses immediately around there.

I don't actually know where this new trail is being routed, but if it's where I think, it's nowhere near any of the dump sites.

16. katonk

katonk .

I think the "new" trail just parallels the straight and fast part of Mormon hill. On Sunday there was a sign that said "unsafe trail" or words to the effect. To me it looked like it would be for horses, as the was a low bike un-friendly board crossing the trail.

17. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    No. Although the site was adjacent to Chevron land, neither Chevron nor Standard ever dumped anything there. Just about every other oil company DID dump there, and they were the defendants in the suit.

18. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Just MAYBE it's not the big scary bugaboo that the environmentalists would have you believe. After all, the scarier they make it sound, the more money they make.

Anyone here NOT ride the Fullerton Loop because it crosses old oilfields?

19. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

My understanding of the McColl site's location is that it's on the south side of Rosecrans, and to the west of Sunny Ridge. This matches Lee's description. If I'm correct, the Loop doesn't go near the McColl site, even with the new trail section.

Dell, I didn't notice the new trail on the other side of the fence. I did see the new section of fence just before the left-hander leading to the fast, straight section of the Mormon hill.

I think it's cool that the City of Fullerton is recognizing the Loop as a popular SoCal ride and is taking measures to accomodate us as a distinct user group.

As for the tree-cutting MTB hater, it's gotta be just another person with too much time on his or her hands.

20. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    whats the deal with southridge?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.