Annoyance of selling stuff

Discussion in 'The Market Place' started by Shu, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tortoise

tortoise Member

I don't know how many ads I've asked about and never got a reply or "it's Sold". If it's sold delete your ad or put a sold sign on it. And "what's the lowest you'll take" is straight forward, if I can afford it I'll buy it, if not I move on, I think it cuts all the BS out.

2. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

The bar was set with the asking price.

People can make lowball offers all they want - the simple answer if it's too low is 'no.' But one suggestion to buyers who lowball, don't get bent out of shape when the seller says no (I've had that a few times).

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I sold a fork to a guy years ago and he had the audacity to ask me as he was counting out the money if I would take less than the asking price!!!! Some people amaze me.

4. bing!

bing! Active Member

There is a solution to all the buyers who can't stand haggling or buying off CL. Its called retail :)

For the sellers, youre exposing yourself to serial killers, professional thieves, home invaders and the like on CL. Low ballers are the least of your problems :lol:

I once sold a universal gym set on CL. Had to let two guys into my garage to check it out. All of a sudden, one guy wanted to leave ASAP. I was wondering what happened. Till I remembered I had stuffed a 380 in my waist band and it was showing thru the shirt :)

I do fine on CL. I don't expect much, but have usually been pleasantly satisfied. Stuff like my son's guitar. A lady bought it for more than twice what Guitar Center wanted it back for. Tools! If I need to do something at home, I usually buy the tool off CL. Can't go wrong with a decent Rigid or DeWalt rather than buying Harbor Freight :) You have to have an eye for quality, know what your buying and emotional detach yourself from the process. It is about money, and business is business.

5. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

CL is by far the best place to sell a bike. Every bike I've sold has been CL. MTBR, STR, RM have yielded no interest. With CL most people will flake but someone will buy.

I used to sell tons of stuff in the old classified forum here but now that I have pay to list something no real interest.

If you don't mind dealing with kids Pinkbike is the best place to sell parts and its free.

6. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    No more paying here! Post up all your stuff on the classifieds.

7. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    I set the bar....it's called the asking price......I have no problem negotiating....just don't insult me by not giving an offer to my asking price....thats why it says or best offer....the defination offer is not asking what the lowest price teh seller would take....apparently you fall into the category of buyers who do this shit....

do you walk into a car dealer and look at the price tag then say....what is the lowest price you'll take? if you do I bet then you'll say well will you take a price even lower?

8. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    then make a freaking offer for what you can afford then or willing to spend......it should not be the responsibility of the seller to guess your budget or what you think it's worth

9. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    thats b/c at Harbor Freight it's most likely not stolen.....

10. 4xdave

4xdave #228

PLC Programmer
    On ebay ive found that anyone who emails you questions doesnt bid or gets outbid, either way they dont buy it. So its a complete waste of time. Now I ignore all questions now, there is someone else who will be happy to bid and not ask anything.

I had one guy threaten me because I wouldnt end the auction early and sell it to him cheaper. He said "if you dont sell it to me for that price im not going to buy it". Uh...ok dont a-hole.

My experience on craigslist is 50/50. Half the people dont show up, even after several emails back and forth. One guy called me like 5 times so I call him back, he says "yeah, im pretty much interested in buying it". What the hell does that mean? He wanted to meet on the 4th of July and I told him no how about the 5th. He calls the night before to re-confirm and meeting place. He never showed up or ever called again.

Bottom line is I don't waste a single second with anyone now, they should do all the work period.

Unless its STR peeps :)

11. tortoise

tortoise Member

Just don't ask Shu what his rock bottom price is:beer:

12. klopchock

klopchock 51/50

Engineer
    lol, you sound like a crabby old man. build a bridge and get over it dude.

13. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    lol...I am crabby this week...I've been put into a shitty mood by some very irritating "buyers" wasting my time

14. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    I've been noticing this more and more over the last few years too. If I forgot a detail, fine, but 9 times out of ten, talking to bidders is total waste of time.

Also, on ebay 2 out of five auctions will be non payers, and 1 out of 5 will be a scammer, and 1 out of 3 will take a week to respond to you & pay, and then immediately send you ten threatening emails the next morning demanding to know why you haven't hauled ass across town on a saturday night to ship it and sent them the tracking numbers yet. Those people will always be a bigger problem down the road, being triggerhappy with dispute cases etc... Not worth the time. I simply refund their money on the spot, relist the item, and add them to the blocked bidder list. I figure people get what they pay for, and they're not paying enough to get me to hold their hand or kiss their butt. If they want to buy that, that's what retail is for.

15. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

I'm selling some stuff (non-bike related) on another site and had an item listed for $20 for weeks with no takers and then finally lowered it to $18 and got three people clamoring for it right off the bat.
    I can't understand why a.) no one ever offered me $2 less and b.) why $2 even made a difference
    whatev.

I always laugh when people list a bike for sale, but fail to list the size.

And I can never understand why people will list a year-old used bike for sale for MORE than you could buy it new in a shop on closeout.

16. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Too many people just don't realize how much a bike depreciates as soon as it leaves the shop...even if it's only ridden 2-3x's in that year....

17. bing!

bing! Active Member

Frankly, I've never felt that any of the tools I've bought on cl were stolen. And if i suspected they were, i wouldnt buy them. But then, I wasn't talking about buying hand tools. It's pretty hard to steal a 400 pound cast iron contractors saw or a 100 pound 5 foot tall bandsaw.

18. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry if you took my comment as I was insinuating you buy/bought stolen tools...I wasn't....there are a lot of stolen Rigid/DeWalt tools on CL is all I was saying....CL to me is a popular place to sell a lot of stolen merchandise from tools to bikes etc was my intended comment....

19. etard

etard New Member

plumber/ bartender: all aspects of your flow
    I feel you Shu, It's either a classic ploy to get you to show your hand ( but who does it really work on?), or it's just lazy people that don't know how to bargain. I hate that question too, but I respond with "make me an offer"

20. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics

I had that happen last year.

I turned around and went back in the house with the item.

He knocked and I yelled from the couch to leave if he knew what was good for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.