Ankle brace

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by TCB, Mar 24, 2008.

1. TCB

TCB New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I'm looking for a good fitting Ankle brace I can wear while I’m riding; most of the braces I’ve used are to big for my shoe to fit or the ones that do fit have no support.

2. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    they usually won't let you out of the house right? i think it calls the cops as soon as you move out of the perimeter.

sorry to hear your ankle's f'd up dude.

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I use the Race Brace Pro by 661.

Criss-Cross Design For Maximum Ankle Support.
    • Heavy duty ankle support.
    • Thin construction, doesn't affect shoe fit
    • Wraparound style gives extra support.
    • Sold individually

[​IMG]

4. TCB

TCB New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I twisted my ankle on Saturday and it’s still swollen, I came into a jump to fast and over shot the landing, I put my foot down and twisted my ankle, I thought it might be broken but the X-rays didn’t show any fractures.:beer:

Thanks, as soon as I can walk around I will check it out.

5. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

i used that brace for a lot of last year and it worked well for me...

6. Flat Broke

Flat Broke Bikes don't kill bunnies

Jack of all trades, master of some
    I have a question about the brace pictured. Does it have any sort of armor or padding on the lateral/outside portion? The reason I asked is because I kind of missed my window for getting the plate taken out of my ankle for this year without having downtime at inconvenient periods, so I'm looking for some armor/support for the outside of my right ankle.

My foot is strong enough, but I'm at risk from a stress riser induced fracture on the bottom of my fibula from a rock strike against the plate. An impact that would normally leave a bruise and a limp for a couple of days could really mess things up for me, so I've been meaning to get some sort of protection for that area that isn't a major PITA.

Thanks,
    Chris

7. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

the 661 brace IIRC does not have any armor to it, but there are two wrap around straps that help prevent lateral rolling of the ankle and it stiffens up the stiffs of the brace.

i think j_simms has a lead on a fancy high tech brace

8. Flat Broke

Thanks for the tip. Oddly enough my wallet and my wife both go missing when I have to purchase anything that involves fancy and/or high tech ;)

Seriously though, I'll hit up J_simms for info.

Thanks,
    Chris

9. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

Is there a reason why your ankle won't make a full recovery and be able to function properly without the band-aid fix of a brace?

10. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    http://www.donjoy.com/images/products/pdfs/rocketsoc.pdf

Check out the Donjoy Rocket sock in Dryex material... You will not even realize that you are wearing a brace while riding however it will not allow you over extend in any direction. I have been using one of these since I broke my ankle on Dec 8, I was back on the bike with the brace late January... I even wear it racing XC...

11. luna

luna I Wanna Ride I Wanna Ride

Realtor
  12. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    I use this one that can be bought at most CVS RiteAid type stores for $20
    [​IMG]
    It's not bulky at all....I started using them playing softball....didn't hamper running either

13. Flat Broke

From a mobility standpoint, it's not that big of an issue. My right foot will probably never be as good as my left, but it's not a limiting factor. My main concern is protection while the plate is still screwed to my fibula. I was going to go in to have it removed (doc said ankle is as strong as it ever was) but I'd be looking at about 8 weeks of total rehab after I get the plate out. 2-4 of that would be on crutches/in a walking boot. Long story short, the timing isn't good with everything going on in my life right now. My earliest window for getting the plate out would be Nov/December when my wife is off work and can watch after our 2 year old daughter. Asside from that and maybe a little procrastinating about just going under the knife in general and remember how bad the last go round hurt, I'm also thinking that if I can get my weight down a bit by my next window of opportunity, it would make rehab go a little quicker.

The problem with the plate is that because of where it is (right over the end of the fibula where most people would look down and see their "ankle bone"), it is vulnerable to impacts. While the edges of the plate aren't razor sharp, they are still enough to create a stress riser if they were to be impacted. From a twisting/bending motion I'd be more than fine, but an impact that would probably just severly bruise or possibly create a small lesion on the bone without the plate, would likely cause a fracture in my instance. The odds of it happening aren't great, but it'd be my luck when ragdolling that I'd whack it on something, hence the reason I asked about a brace with armor.

Luna and J_Sims, Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely check those out.

Sorry to derail this post so much.

Chris

14. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

Sorry I was referring to the original poster. Since you have a metal plate in your leg I can understand the need for the brace.

If the original poster just sprained his ankle riding with brace will more than likely make his ankle weaker and more prone to injury.