Amtrak Century

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Chopper, Jun 24, 2012.

1. gr@sshopper

gr@sshopper Closet Roadie

Last surfliner leaving san diego to irvine is 6:15. Can you take advantage of drafting - will it bring your speed up?

2. UniGeezer

UniGeezer Adventure Cyclist

Piano technician
    Yeah I'll take that train. My other option would be to just ride back and make it a double century! Unless there's a significant headwind, drafting is utterly useless on a unicycle. And we can't coast, have no low gear(s) to help climb, and must make constant corrections for balance. 100 miles on a 1:1 36er uni translates to about 56,000 non-stop pedal revolutions.

3. FlynRide

FlynRide New Member

Here are your turn by turn directions. Make sure you pay attention as you can get lost easily.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=190

4. UniGeezer

Piano technician
    fify

5. Piranha

Piranha Member

Congratulations!

6. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    There's also a 8:25 or a 9:15 pm depending upon the day of the week.

7. FlynRide

FlynRide New Member

Some people have no sense of humor.

OK....I'm all for the fact that your a uni guy and your cool and you like to talk about yourself. I'm think its really funny but I'm cool with it.Your constantly writing posts about how cool uni is and how much better you are than regular MTB. Everyone gives you shit about it and then you get upset when you write a post asking for directions on probably the easiest route ever??

And on top of that, you can find the route in about 100 places on the web??

If your going to stick your neck out and brag about how cool you are, you better be ready for dicks like me to point out what a tool you sound like.

Have fun on your contraption.

8. UniGeezer

Piano technician
    Not even close. In my experience, most people think it's cool and appreciate the diversity in cycling, as I do. Yeah, there are still those few who love to take jabs at anyone or anything that is different from what they consider the "norm", and are in the distinct minority.

I have some of the most enjoyable chats with bikers and hikers, and many have taken up unicyling as a result, and now love it as another fun challenge. They haven't necessarily given up bicycling, but now have another fun way to challenge themselves. Mtb and road cycling are awesome sports also and I have great respect for all who strive to keep fit and have fun with whatever form of conveyance they choose. Peace.

9. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    You know, no one thinks any less of you for riding a unicycle. We get that it's hard, and takes a solid skill set, and is a different challenge than a bike. Really, we do get it.

It's just that your incessant self-promotion and "anything you can do, I can do better" approach has gotten really, really annoying.

10. FlynRide

FlynRide New Member

Back to the topic....

I'll be leaving Irvine train station about 7 or so. Last year I hooked up with OCW group and it was a pretty good pace line. Should be fun again this year.

Is Pain freak doing still doing his double ride? I'd like to find and ride a few miles with that group.

11. UniGeezer

Piano technician
    Again, you and a couple other regulars are blinded by some perception that you have invented and projected on me. Keep in mind that I simply posted a *QUESTION* about the century event, and it was you who chose to engage in personal attack. And of course, it's not 'self promotion' when someone posts an mtb video, or mentions something they might have done that they are proud of; it's only "self promotion" when *I* post a video or picture, or whatever, because I have one less wheel than you. Like I said, there's always a few people who try to tear you down for whatever insecure reason they have. No sleep lost here. :bang::wave::lol::clap:

12. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Hey Uni

I got nothing against you and this is NOT a personal attack and if you take it as a personal attack then I can't help you.

At first your posting of video and RR is pretty cool and refreshing BUT as time goes on and endless array of videos and post about you and the single wheel wear on people who use to cheer you on. If you take a look at all the other RR there is very rare that anything is said about the rider. It always is about being out there and how great the trails are. We love being out there riding no matter how many wheel we have. Then there is you and your RR and video which includes NOTHING but you. This is what people are saying you are "self promoting" if you don't get that or agree with it, again I can't help you.

This thread is a good example you are different and you know it and then you want others to "go around" you because you are much slower. And if others do "personally attack" you simply can not be a bigger person and walk away.

I use to think what you do is cool and all but now you are nothing but a thread jacker and a troll on STR.

Again, nothing personal. Just observation and personal opinion.

PS: you really should start a SOCALUNI.com or something. Just because some of us don't agree with you doesn't mean other won't.

13. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    You guys know that there's an "ignore list" option under "settings", right? That way you're not forced to read posts from people that bug you. Just sayin'...

Or you could just keep beating this dead horse every month, which is always fun.

14. XLPARAGON

XLPARAGON Member

A little of this and that
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][h=3]Amtrak Train Return Update[/h][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]OCW has been advised that the Rail tracks from Oceanside to San Diego will be closed to all rail traffic on September 8, and 9, 2012. Due to this track closure Amtrak has arranged Transportation of our train return riders to the Carlsbad Pointsettia station, at which point we will board the train and complete our travels. As we have been advised by Amtrak this was a scheduled maintenance by the company that owns the rail tracks through this corridor. This change was not under control of Amtrak.

Lame...lets go for a bus ride!!!
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

15. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    Yeah got that email. That sucks, especially if they go north on the 5 vs PCH so we sit thru tourist traffic heading home from SD. Screws with non-OCW riders getting their own tickets.

16. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    Is there any chance that they did not know this was the case when spots went on sale? Somebody at Amtrak must have a master calendar of some kind, right?

17. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I'm getting some grub and a craft beer at Karl Strauss on Columbia St. It's an easy walk from the train station. I guess I'll get there about 2-230 pm (leaving Irvine 630ish at 15 mph (hopefully faster) = 6.6 hours plus stops and changing clothes/loading bike in SD) http://www.karlstrauss.com/PAGES/Eats/Downtown.html Anyone up for it?

18. scottstafford

scottstafford Member

Sound Guy
    About 90% of the rails Amtrak travel on are actually owned by private companies, and therefore maintained by the private companies. In this case, I believe it's BSNF who owns the rails in the area, and if they schedule unannounced maintenance, Amtrak is at their mercy. That's not to say there isn't a master calender, and some one did indeed miss this very important note, but if it's unannounced or planned spontaneously, there's not much Amtrak could do. /Trainnerd

19. XLPARAGON

XLPARAGON Member

A little of this and that
    I am sure I will be there sooner or later...I was hoping to get into San Diego around 12-12:30...that is a lot of time to drink beer.

20. Kevin949

Kevin949 Member

My wife wants to know if she can drink on the bus ? says she'll have a hard time knocking back a sixer of Fat Tire on a 1 hour train ride .